I would love to see Lincoln bring back the designer series

I wonder if Lincoln would ever consider bringing back the "Designer Series" and update to today's big fashion design houses...in the past, there were several..

Givenchy, Pucci, Cartier, Blass

I would think that a modern redux of this concept and include names like..

Michael Kors, Donatella Versace, Valentino Garavani, Giorgio Armani, Coco Chanel, Ralph Lauren

Thoughts??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Isn’t that pretty much Black Label just without the designer names?

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's what I was thinking too

No doubt...but instead of just "faceless" names like "Indulgence", "Center Stage", "Modern Heritage", "Oasis"...have the design houses give their personal touch. Of course, since we just got away from the whole "MK" marketing scheme, it isn't lost on me that a Michael Kors edition would be basically putting the MK logo back on a Lincoln....

The problem with designer names is finding one that truly evokes what Lincoln wants to be.

Bill Blass made no sense to me. A Lincoln Mark VIII LSC with the name of the designer that clothed Barbara Bush in granny dresses was not an appropriate match.

Eddie Bauer Bronco. King Ranch F150. These made sense. Hell, even the Levi's Gremlin was on point for the target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

The problem with designer names is finding one that truly evokes what Lincoln wants to be.

Bill Blass made no sense to me. A Lincoln Mark VIII LSC with the name of the designer that clothed Barbara Bush in granny dresses was not an appropriate match.

Eddie Bauer Bronco. King Ranch F150. These made sense. Hell, even the Levi's Gremlin was on point for the target.

Levi’s Gremlin... quick google search has left me unsure of this being the greatest or worst thing ever...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-150 said:

Most of the "respected" names cater to Hollywood's nouveau riche and the wannabe rich posers. They apparently make a lot of money by slapping their name and logo on high tops and hoodies....

Edited by The Handler

I always thought the Cartier editions of the Continental Mark series cars were really sharp.  I’d take a real look at one if they were offered at the same time I was in the market for a new Lincoln.  (No time soon for me, I just bought a ‘19 MKZ 10 days ago.  ?)

What I would like to see is the brucelinc edition.   In other words, let ME choose what type and color of the wood trim, (or the replacement of wood trim with metal,) the interior color and other choices to personalize the car to my tastes.   I have always thought the Black Label environments were too limited and so were the old designer series.    I realize offering that level of choice adds to complexity and cost.  Some prestige makes barely more expensive than Lincoln do it, though. 

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brucelinc said:

What I would like to see is the brucelinc edition.   In other words, let ME choose what type and color of the wood trim, (or the replacement of wood trim with metal,) the interior color and other choices to personalize the car to my tastes.   I have always thought the Black Label environments were too limited and so were the old designer series.    I realize offering that level of choice adds to complexity and cost.  Some prestige makes barely more expensive than Lincoln do it, though. 

I think eventually we'll see a "White Label" where you can completely customize trims, but for now, we're stuck with Black Label.

I'm a Lincoln buyer and I would rather have the designers and decorators put this together for me.  I don't want to be fussed with a million decisions on what I want my car to look like, especially since I have to repeat the process every few years.  I think most people would hire a designer to style their home if given the chance, that's how I feel about cars.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I'm a Lincoln buyer and I would rather have the designers and decorators put this together for me.  I don't want to be fussed with a million decisions on what I want my car to look like, especially since I have to repeat the process every few years.  I think most people would hire a designer to style their home if given the chance, that's how I feel about cars.   

Well, you don't offer a million combinations.  You don't have to offer bright purple and neon green leather.

Limit it to 5-6 leather colors, carpet colors, headliners, and maybe you do more with trims - maybe 10? (different wood patterns, metals, etc).

Then you pick:

• primary interior color
  • secondary interior color (dash/door tops)
  • seat color (which would likely match the primary interior color, unless you wanted contrasting seats)
  • carpet
  • headliner
  • A trim design

Then you DO have designers create "suggested" combinations for those that may want something more unique than Black Label, but don't want to choose themselves - ones that pair well together, but you have the option of customizing over other trims.

• Like 1

The best way to do this (and Ford hinted at this in the past) is to allow the dealer to do things like wheels and interior trim pieces.  This keeps the factory build process streamlined while giving the customers many more choices (including mix and match).   Could probably even do it for seat covers and carpet.

Edited by akirby

I would love to be able to mix and match wheel choices. The standard SE wheels that came on my Fusion I like, but the standard SE wheels that came on the Focus I hated with a passion. I'm glad mine didn't have them.  The wheels I want when I eventually pull the trigger on the Ranger are only offered with the sport appearance package and I have a very hard time paying for appearance packages. 

13 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would love to be able to mix and match wheel choices. The standard SE wheels that came on my Fusion I like, but the standard SE wheels that came on the Focus I hated with a passion. I'm glad mine didn't have them.  The wheels I want when I eventually pull the trigger on the Ranger are only offered with the sport appearance package and I have a very hard time paying for appearance packages. 

I wanted the Sport package for my F150 XLT because I wanted the console shifter.   The wheels were an added bonus.

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

I am also a Lincoln buyer and always order them so I can get exactly what I want.   As an enthusiast I do not view the decision making or ordering process or as a chore or something to be fussed with.   Like many buyers of upscale vehicles, I have confidence in my decisions and don't need someone to tell me what I should like.    There need not be a million decisions.   That is just silly.   I am not asking for Rolls Royce levels of customization.   Akirby's point of having the dealer do things like interior trim or wheel choices makes some sense.   Larger dealers already offer many accessories and aftermarket products.   They can add illuminated sill plates, remote start systems, partial or entire vehicle wrapping and a myriad of other things so why not wood trim or wheels?     

Interestingly, I had many more choices of interior trim and wheels from the factory with my Mustang than with my Continental.