4x4/AWD

theoldwizard

Now that the Ranger is in production I am looking for information on the 4x4/AWD unit that is being used.  This is likely going to be the same unit used in the Explore, the Bronco and the Hybrid Mustang CUV.  Using the 4x4/AWD out of the F150 would seem like overkill except behind a EcoBoost 2.7L/3.0L

• Is this unit built at a Ford facility, and if so, which one ?
  • Is this a Ford design or licensed from a vendor ?

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

Now that the Ranger is in production I am looking for information on the 4x4/AWD unit that is being used.  This is likely going to be the same unit used in the Explore, the Bronco and the Hybrid Mustang CUV.  Using the 4x4/AWD out of the F150 would seem like overkill except behind a EcoBoost 2.7L/3.0L

• Is this unit built at a Ford facility, and if so, which one ?
  • Is this a Ford design or licensed from a vendor ?

It is a true 4x4 system, very similar to but not quite identical to what the F-150 has and I would imagine the Bronco would get too. I don't know that it's made in a Ford facility, my guess is the transfer case is sourced from wherever F-150 transfer cases are sourced from. We already know that the axles are sourced from Dana. If it is sourced from a Ford facility it's probably going to be Sterling Axle.