Nanchang City, Jiangxi, China Automotive

Resident Project Management Supervisor

Getrag Jiangxi Transmission
December 2018 – Present 1 month
Colonia

Main activities:
- GJT Supervisor of MT88 platform at Getrag Ford Transmission (GFT);
- GJT Referent for all the platforms at Getrag Ford Transmission (GFT);
- GJT key contact person, for customers and suppliers in Europe, with particular regards to urgent interactions

Edited by jpd80

37 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

New Escape? the Dragon I-3 is supposed to be replacing all the old Sigma I-4s

That's the only thing that makes sense since Fusion is dying and the 1.5 isn't in anything else currently. 

Except for Transit Connect I think, and that has a very limited appeal

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's the only thing that makes sense since Fusion is dying and the 1.5 isn't in anything else currently. 

If I'm right, the 1.5 EB I-4 is already discontinued outside of North America, the whole idea behind Dragon was to save lots of money with suppliers and production, it and the 8-speed auto trans are made for each other  but you know, that hybrid E-CVT looks very attractive as well...some new Utes and compact trucks/vans coming that could use it as well...

3 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

My heart was broken when the Coyote was saddled with the same bore centers as the Modulars. 

It would have been a different world if Ford could’ve had a 6.0L Coyote. 

I'll break your heart even more, there was a high deck5.9 liter DOHC proposed internally but the Hurricane/Boss 6.2 won out over it.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, jpd80 said:

Chiapperini Alberto

Resident Project Management Supervisor presso Getrag Jiangxi Transmission

Nanchang City, Jiangxi, China Automotive

Resident Project Management Supervisor

Getrag Jiangxi Transmission
December 2018 – Present 1 month
Colonia

Main activities:
- GJT Supervisor of MT88 platform at Getrag Ford Transmission (GFT);
- GJT Referent for all the platforms at Getrag Ford Transmission (GFT);
- GJT key contact person, for customers and suppliers in Europe, with particular regards to urgent interactions

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean?

On 12/26/2018 at 10:47 PM, ANTAUS said:

3.5L/3.7L was dropped as an option in the Edge, Mustang and F150.  Edge just has the 2.0L and 2.7L in Sport trim to simplify the offerings...  The 3.7L was dropped in the F150 and MKX as well. I would expect that MKT and Flex would be next to drop it, as they are dropped as well. The 2.3L can do the job, with more torque, so might as well simplify things.

While the F-150 dropped the 3.7 as the base engine, it now has a 3.3L in its place. 

rmc523,

MT 88 is the new 7-speed manual transmission which is being developed at the Ford-Getrag Joint Venture plant in China. The Plant currently supplies the the  MT82 6-speed manual trans for Ranger, Transit and Mustang.  Word is that the new 7-speed manual will be going into Bronco and NG Ranger and that it also has a low speed Rock Hopper/Crawler feature.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Except for Transit Connect I think, and that has a very limited appeal

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yep. I said that. That and TC are all that will have a 1.5 after Fusion is gone 

1.5 isn't in the TC...the 1.6 used to be...and never caught on...the 2.5 was discontinued and it now has a 2.0 with and 8 speed and a diesel we are yet to see......

1 minute ago, Deanh said:

1.5 isn't in the TC...the 1.6 used to be...and never caught on...the 2.5 was discontinued and it now has a 2.0 with and 8 speed and a diesel we are yet to see......

Ok so the only thing that has a 1.5 that isn't being killed is the Escape and we don't know for surewhat drivetrain changes are coming yet. 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ok so the only thing that has a 1.5 that isn't being killed is the Escape and we don't know for surewhat drivetrain changes are coming yet. 

in all sincerity, Im questioning Ford going smaller and boosted...for example , I think there will be a backlash with the Edge going 2.0 eco ( aside from the ST ) rather than the 3.5...which was pretty much bulletproof, and ( at least here ) outsold the 2.0eco by a large margin....( and Im not too impressed with the TC going from the 2.5 to the 2.0 with 2 extra gears either )

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

in all sincerity, Im questioning Ford going smaller and boosted...for example , I think there will be a backlash with the Edge going 2.0 eco ( aside from the ST ) rather than the 3.5...which was pretty much bulletproof, and ( at least here ) outsold the 2.0eco by a large margin....( and Im not too impressed with the TC going from the 2.5 to the 2.0 with 2 extra gears either )

Have you driven the refreshed TC? I haven't seen much written about it in the press, and I haven't driven this generation of it. I did have the first generation one as a work van before I started working for Ford and I LOVED it despite it being a base model and having to drive from the office to Lansing (about an hour 15 drive) once a week with no cruise control....

5 hours ago, Deanh said:

Good thoughts Deanh, maybe Ford should have considered making the 2.7EB V6 an engine option on traditional volume selling trims instead of just the ST. I think they’re rushing the transition from V6 when buyers still want them

Its also perplexing why TC doesn’t have Dragon 1.5 EB and 8AT,  I guess ford knows best (sarcasm)

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Its also perplexing why TC doesn’t have Dragon 1.5 EB and 8AT,  I guess ford knows best (sarcasm)

Probably wasn't factored into the refresh budget 

Also the 8F Transmission wasn't ready to go quite yet 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Probably wasn't factored into the refresh budget 

Or, the new Tourneo Connect program didn't include that particular engine, Europe gets 1.0 EB and 1.5 Ecoblue in 100 PS and 120 PS versions.

(PS is metric equivalent to HP)

16 hours ago, Deanh said:

I haven't driven an Edge with the 2.0 but I did have a Taurus with the 2.0 as a loaner once.   Maybe the newer ones are better but the one I drove was miserable compared to the 3.5 version.  Initial punch was OK but as revs increased, it clearly lacked the performance of the V6.   It also made more objectionable noise under WOT than the 3.5.   I didn't have it long enough to check the fuel mileage accurately but based on the car's computer, it had no real world fuel economy benefit either. 

Most people don’t drive like you do.  There is way more punch off the line and in normal driving but you are correct that it runs out of steam at higher RPM.   After driving my Fusion 2.0L for 5 years and switching to a 3.5LEB F150 I hate driving our 3.7L MKX.  It has no guts off the line.

Off the line is far less important to me than passing ability or freeway merging.   I have no complaints about the 2.0 in a Fusion or an MKZ.    I can't imagine anyone liking it in a Taurus or Explorer, though.    Obviously, the Taurus is on its death bed and so is the current Explorer so it is a moot point.   It might be better in an Edge with the 8 speed.    

This reminds me of why Ford changed the 2.0 EB Explorer to a 2.3 EB Explorer, easier performance without appreciable gas mileage penalty.

I was hoping that Ford would build on that and use the 2.3 EB  in more applications  like Taurus, Fusion, Edge and perhaps Escape.;)

Edited by jpd80

I’d say it’s adequate in the Edge, nothing more.  As is the 2.3L in the Explorer.  No problem with passing power you just have to drive it a little differently.  I think it’s more that it just feels and acts differently than a NA engine so it depends on what you’re used to.

• Like 1

For example, imagine if Ranger had gone with 2.0 EB instead of the 2.3 EB (Ford did build two 2.0 EB 6AT mules back in 2008)

Once you get up over 4,000 lbs the 2.0 EB starts to struggle which explains the issue with Edge and FWD Taurus/Explorer.

There are obviously certain "sweet spots" for the various EB engine displacement but personal preference alsoplays a part, someone directly comparing 2.3 EB Ranger with 2.7 EB F150 would notice .

Edited by jpd80

Is this a CAFE thing causing Ford to build all these baby motors? I'm assuming Europe has a similar law or rule pushing smaller motors.

They just keep getting smaller and smaller. Not gonna lie, it's disappointing that we won't have a V8 Bronco...

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1