Bronco reportedly getting 7 Speed matched with 2.7L Ecoboost

2 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Cost cutting is taking some excitement out of Ford's future, have to admit.  The future isn't as extravagant as originally envisioned anyway.

I agree.

It sounds like the Bronco will disappoint and not hit sales projections.

The flip side is that in 2005, they did this with the Mustang by not adding IRS and making a cheap interior (but admittingly it at least looked great!) and it was a smash hit. But then again the Bronco does not equal the Mustang as we know which one customers didn't really miss for the  20 plus years it was discontinued.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Even the 2.0 has more torque than the 3.5L NA.  And you can get the 2.7T which blows it away.   And neither one will kill the engine when the water pump dies.

I'd still opt for the Cyclone. Barring total water pump failure, you're not killing the engine OR trans. We have water pumped a lot of milkshaked 3.5 without issue. In FWD version, they're probably the most reliable powertrain Ford builds. 

43 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

In the US? Elsewhere doesn't matter for our market.

In the whole world.

And I didn't say it was for the US market. What makes everyone think the 7 speed manual is for the US market? It could be (and makes much more sense) that Ford is developing it primarily for markets outside the US where vast majority of Ford with longitude engines are diesel Ranger and Transit.

How about instead of replacing EVERY window in the train station, maybe every other one and bricking up the others? Yes I know, I'm narrow minded and the train station will pay long term dividends long after the next Bronco is forgotten.  My grandkids will enjoy the dividends generated because of all the brilliant minds that will flock to Ford to work in that magnificent structure.?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

What engine options have been lost? V6 in Mustang, what else?

3.5L/3.7L was dropped as an option in the Edge, Mustang and F150.  Edge just has the 2.0L and 2.7L in Sport trim to simplify the offerings...  The 3.7L was dropped in the F150 and MKX as well. I would expect that MKT and Flex would be next to drop it, as they are dropped as well. The 2.3L can do the job, with more torque, so might as well simplify things.

A bit of perspective. There's nothing to suggest  that Ford is about to chop the guts out of what it refers to internally as a Ford brand Iconic vehicle (like Mustang). I think some are reading way too much into this as a Hybrid Bronco would  be hard to justify, especially with relatively ow gas prices. If it has has been scrapped, it's because Ford thinks that very few people would have bought it

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

A bit of perspective. There's nothing to suggest  that Ford is about to chop the guts out of what it refers to internally as a Ford brand Iconic vehicle (like Mustang). I think some are reading way too much into this as a Hybrid Bronco would  be hard to justify, especially with relatively ow gas prices. If it has has been scrapped, it's because Ford thinks that very few people would have bought it

No, its its the sky is falling perspective that people have to automatically assume the worst is happening-Ford is partly at fault here to a point too, with its terrible presentation of its future plans for the past few years.

I'm interested in a hybrid Bronco, but it I just have to settle for a regular 2.7L Ecoboost, I'm not going to complain.

24 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You’re right, it's probably not. But for them to say it's coming (it came from Joe Hinrichs himself) then renege on it and axe it due to cost cuts is absolutely unconscionable. 

The stupid part is announcing Bronco 3 years before it debuts and talking about powertrains 2 years early.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Then they should have STFU about it...

All of this traces back to The Mullet and the stupid idea to reveal the plan for the Bronco far too early in its development - a decision that was driven by having very little to show at NAIAS and having a piss poor plan for what was shown. If they had kept the Bronco on the down low for a couple more years (even just one more year) it would have helped them quite a bit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Bronco is getting the 7-Speed, but only on the 2.3L.

The 2.7L Hybrid is apparently in doubt now, it may not happen...so watch this space.  

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

No, its its the sky is falling perspective that people have to automatically assume the worst is happening-Ford is partly at fault here to a point too, with its terrible presentation of its future plans for the past few years.

I'm interested in a hybrid Bronco, but it I just have to settle for a regular 2.7L Ecoboost, I'm not going to complain.

It's disappointing to me if this is true.  They hybrid was at the top of my list of Bronco considerations.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It's disappointing to me if this is true.  They hybrid was at the top of my list of Bronco considerations.

Sam.e if they think a Bronco hybrid won’t sell, or people won’t pay for it, they are wrong. I drive a bronco daily now and single digit mpgs eat my pocket! But it’s either that or rack up miles in my Bullitt.

Just now, Deanh said:

not if projected cost was higher than originally calculated....imagine a 70k hybrid Bronco.....

fair enough.  But if the system ran the cost up that high, they have much bigger issues across the board with that system projected to go in so many models.