Mustang Through the Years

Joe Oliver

Hi,

I’ve been reading the various forums (particularly those concerned with the Mustang) and was wondering if any members would like to share their Mustang experience(s)? I’ll start ...

I bought my first Mustang used, a 1967 hardtop with 98K miles. Kept that for a couple of years until it was totaled in a collision. At one point a 302 replaced the 289 engine but that was mostly because my friends could help me out and we did this as a high school auto shop project.

After losing the ‘67, I purchased a ‘75 followed by a ‘76 after my dad agreed to buy my ‘75 because I was drooling over the Cobra II (yeah, the same type Farrah Fawcett drove in Charlie’s Angels if you remember that!). I had the Cobra II for about 9 years and then bought a new ‘85 GT (my students always referred to it as “the 5.0” —never preceded it with “Mustang”). The ‘85 was replaced 10 years later with a ‘95 GT and, 13 years later in 2008, by an ‘09 GT/CS. I’m currently waiting for the arrival of a ‘19 GT/CS.

I’ll close with this (and this is mostly for those who work at Ford Motor Company), each of the aforementioned Mustangs, with the exception of the first, were owned for 10 or more years and driven well over 100K miles without any significant mechanical, body or other problems. I think this speaks to the engineering, build and quality processes at Ford and the people who make the Mustang. I’m a lifetime fan and very much have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the experience of driving these cars.

What is your “history” with the Mustang?

• Thanks 2

Good topic, nice writeup Joe. Refreshing to see something here besides somebody asking where their Mustang is they ordered. I too had a '67 Fastback in Cleatwater Aqua. Essentially wife's car and she couldn't drive a standard:(  Managed to get a complete header and dual exhaust system on but way too small for family of 4. Traded for a '69 road runner, that met all requirements, Light Green Metallic no less.

Moving forward was looking at Corvettes until I saw the Boss 302 with sidepipes back in 2012 1/2, that was all it took. Still have today, a bit over 3K on OD and stored winters, never driven rain. Have changed TB to 84.5MM intake. Has the Trackey (2 keys, one for street- other track). Exhaust is good with open sidepipes and Corsa Xtreme stainless mufflers. 

Have never had mine over 5K RPM but with slicks they'll run in the mid 11ET quarter mile from the factory. Keeps up with the Shelby's for some reason with less horsepower but run over 7K RPM (again stipulate not mine). The looks and waves you get are unending lol. Think I'll keep it awhile longer.

Rich

image.jpeg

Edited by Rich B.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I like the idea of sharing some experiences with the mustang.

I'm from Germany and I bought my first mustang in December 2016. I got it from Minnesota and a friend from a german mustang forum organized the whole shipment. It's a 1965 289 V8 (A-Code) manual transmission in tropical turquoise. Got it with 90k miles, also stored in winter, only nice weather.

Due to some federal regulations I had to change a few things like installing hazards, EU-spec headlights. Amazing how good it runs after nearly 54 years.

At the moment I'm waiting for my 2019 Mustang GT to be delivered, I ordered it in October 2018. Hopefully should arrive at my local ford store this April, but due to some parts shortage at the flat rock plant it could be delayed.

Mustang.jpg

On 12/22/2018 at 5:03 PM, Joe Oliver said:

... were owned for 10 or more years and driven well over 100K miles without any significant mechanical, body or other problems...

Wow.. ? that’s sensational !

and well encouraging for those who’s Mustang history has not yet started..

thanks for sharing your experience

On 2/10/2019 at 3:58 PM, Bachi said:

Hi,

I like the idea of sharing some experiences with the mustang.

I'm from Germany and I bought my first mustang in December 2016. I got it from Minnesota and a friend from a german mustang forum organized the whole shipment. It's a 1965 289 V8 (A-Code) manual transmission in tropical turquoise. Got it with 90k miles, also stored in winter, only nice weather.

Due to some federal regulations I had to change a few things like installing hazards, EU-spec headlights. Amazing how good it runs after nearly 54 years.

At the moment I'm waiting for my 2019 Mustang GT to be delivered, I ordered it in October 2018. Hopefully should arrive at my local ford store this April, but due to some parts shortage at the flat rock plant it could be delayed.

Mustang.jpg

What a beauty!!!

where are you at in Germany Bachi?