Software issues

OldZX5er

My 2017 Escape has been nearly flawless since I purchased it in June of 2016. I have had a few issues lately. A few months ago, right after restarting the engine from auto start/stop, I'd get three chimes. Didn't happen every time. I'd guess maybe 10% of the time, at any time of the day. This wasn't enough to get me to go to the dealer. A while later we were out for the night and about a half mile after leaving home I had a message on the screen saying it was shutting system down to save battery and I should shut off and restart the engine. I restarted it at the next stop light. About twenty minutes later after going into auto start/stop I had another screen message saying I should put the car into park and start it. After this , I made an appointment with the dealer and started using my battery tender more often. I don't use the car everyday (I just passed 10,000 miles) so it probably makes some sense that the battery was low.

When I got to the dealer they told me about a bulletin on the auto start-stop system,  SSM 47084 - 2017 Escape - Auto stop/start - No auto restart after an auto stop event - Built on or before 01-Feb- 2017. They did some reprogramming and gave me a new battery. No more screen messages but I still get the occasional three chimes on a restart. I don't think I'm going to worry too much about it.

I just thought I'd let anyone who's interested know about it.

I'm betting that the battery was likely the issue.

Also, you said the vehicle does not get driven often.  When it is driven are you trips short ?  While not stated in owners manual, it takes between 10-20 minutes of continuous operation to restore the energy used to start the vehicle.  Longer if during an auto-stop event if multiple accessories are turned on.

People doing a lot of short trips should probably disable the auto stop/start feature.

Start/stop does not be enable with a low/bad battery and that includes short tripped cars. I think that they made mistakes in battery state of charge calculation, but I think that there were a LOT of gremlins in the software. Most of the ones I've seen have been "fixed" with the software update.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to update, today (1/12) the dealer replaced the battery that was replaced November 30th. They said it failed horribly.

About a week ago,  I got the shutting system down to save battery message again. This was less than fifteen minutes after I had taken the car off the battery tender showing a full charge. Testing the battery with my own tester a few days later after charging it fully said it had a 30% charge, 0% state of health and "replace".

They dealer said if I still have issues next time they'd keep my car for a few days and give me a loaner.

• 2 months later...

Well, it wasn't long before I got the shutting system down message again. Took it to the dealer yesterday. They found the audio control module was drawing power even when the car was off. The paperwork referenced this SSM.

SSM46411

Some 2017 MKC vehicles equipped with all audio systems and 2017 Escape vehicles with a Sony audio system built on or before 23-Dec-2016 may exhibit a discharged battery. A repetitive cycling noise similar to a CD ejecting noise may also be present. If excessive battery drain is present and eliminated with the radio battery power fuse removed, reprogram the audio control module (ACM) to the latest calibration using the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) release 104.02 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. For claiming, use causal part 18C869 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the SLTS manual

I never had the CD ejecting noise. I hope this is the end of my issues. The factory warranty runs out in June!

Edited by OldZX5er