Bronco comes after the Explorer and new F150

14 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

In regards to the Bronco, didn't they initially plan on a different platform at first only to scrap it for next Gen Ranger platform. I thought that is what delayed it. Anyone?

I think that stems from design studies done at the time and why it seems everything was more or less thrown into the trash after Fields left-it looks like they where looking at doing the Bronco as a C class CUV type vehicle at one point and trashed it, but was resurected as the Maverick-then again we've been hearing about the Gen Z/Schort C CUV (assumed to be the Ecosport replacement for NA) a  for a few years now prior to that-so who actually knows what the deal was. 

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Nope, just that we knew abut it way too early thanks to leaks way back at project kick off, it was always goiung to be on NG T6

FYI, Ford NA wasn't interested in Ranger until approx 2 years ago, US 2019 is something organised after final refresh on Global was locked in..

It still kills me that they've spent the past 24-36 months more or less dicking around with this project. This isn't the 1980s where takes 5 years+ to develop a new product. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think that stems from design studies done at the time and why it seems everything was more or less thrown into the trash after Fields left-it looks like they where looking at doing the Bronco as a C class CUV type vehicle at one point and trashed it, but was resurected as the Maverick-then again we've been hearing about the Gen Z/Schort C CUV (assumed to be the Ecosport replacement for NA) a  for a few years now prior to that-so who actually knows what the deal was. 

It still kills me that they've spent the past 24-36 months more or less dicking around with this project. This isn't the 1980s where takes 5 years+ to develop a new product. 

No, it's not dicking around.

I'll paint you a picture, don't know it it's super accurate but imagine it's late 2016, after years of no we don't want Ranger, North America comes to T6 team ans asks, can we get a Ranger for USA by end of 2018 and how soon can we have a Bronco?

FYI, From design lock in, it takes two more years of final development, field reliability and evaluation before a vehicle is ready for Job 1.

14 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Yeah, as usual they get it wrong.  The SuperDuty is being refreshed this year (as is Transit). 

The Maverick (CX430) is a 2021 MY product, it should be running pretty closer to Bronco actually.

I know the new F-150 gets a new code which suggests it's all-new, but I suspect it MIGHT be a significant MCE instead of an all-new product.  If it is all-new, that's a relatively short lifecycle for the F-Series and again divides F-150 from SuperDuty.  My prediction is a major rework with the same cab and doors.

Yeah I'm guessing it'll be more like the 2008 to 2009 F-150 transition, where it was all new but they used the same cab structure and doors.  And maybe we'll get new door outer skins with the same cab.

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think it's Bronco tooling, I don't think they’re far enough along in the process to have production tooling for it yet based on what I've been able to gather. If anything, it's probably 2020 Ranger since 2019 is going to be a  relatively short run.

Why would there be big new machines for a 2020 Ranger if it won't change much?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

2009 was when the F150 lengthened the cab a considerable amount, requiring new front doors and a longer cab structure.

Oh that's right, I forgot about that!

I don't think we'll see a drastic change like that here.

----

Also and odd note - in the Car and Driver comparison of the new Ram, the F-150, and Silverado (it finished in that order....hasn't been posted online yet), somehow they gave F-150 a low score on rear seat space.  I don't know what their criteria is, but F-150's back seat is cavernous.

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Oh that's right, I forgot about that!

I don't think we'll see a drastic change like that here.

----

Also and odd note - in the Car and Driver comparison of the new Ram, the F-150, and Silverado (it finished in that order....hasn't been posted online yet), somehow they gave F-150 a low score on rear seat space.  I don't know what their criteria is, but F-150's back seat is cavernous.

Agreed, I have never heard anyone complain about space in the backseat of my truck. In fact, most comment on how much space is there. 

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

No, it's not dicking around.

I'll paint you a picture, don't know it it's super accurate but imagine it's late 2016, after years of no we don't want Ranger, North America comes to T6 team ans asks, can we get a Ranger for USA by end of 2018 and how soon can we have a Bronco?

FYI, From design lock in, it takes two more years of final development, field reliability and evaluation before a vehicle is ready for Job 1.

I get that-but I’m focusing on the Bronco more so-if they where looking at it in 2016, you’d think they would be further along in the process with it. It seems like they said hey we are doing this in 2017 and just recently actually started the work on it as of fall of 2018. 

As it stands now, we have a product that was part of the Bronco design study (ie the Maverick) that has been shown off in sheet metal form already, where as the Bronco is no where to been seen. Both product are based on existing architectures, one is a modified unibody where as the Bronco will be a new BOF, using hard points and harnesses from the Territory, the current SUV based on the Ranger. 

Ford is going to get roasted by the press and the Internet if the Maverick comes out before the Bronco and reading the tea leaves makes me suspect that is exactly is what going to happen because the Mexican plants are going down next spring/summer for the Fiesta and Ford isn’t going to let them sit idle that long. I’d expect the Maverick to be out spring summer of 2020, while the Bronco will be lucky to be actually in production by the end of that year. The Mach E CUV will most likely be built at herosillo, which will wait till fusion/MKZ production is completed in 2021 or so. 

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Why would there be big new machines for a 2020 Ranger if it won't change much?

I don't believe it's machines. Most of the packages look to be about the size of Stamping dies. There does appear to be stamping presses that are in storage there that I have no idea where they came from or where they might go that were there when I first got there but again I'm just guessing and I'm not about to go wandering over there to find out. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't believe it's machines. Most of the packages look to be about the size of Stamping dies. There does appear to be stamping presses that are in storage there that I have no idea where they came from or where they might go that were there when I first got there but again I'm just guessing and I'm not about to go wandering over there to find out. 

Well, the point would still stand - why would there be new stamping dies for something that's already in production?

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I get that-but I’m focusing on the Bronco more so-if they where looking at it in 2016, you’d think they would be further along in the process with it. It seems like they said hey we are doing this in 2017 and just recently actually started the work on it as of fall of 2018. 

As it stands now, we have a product that was part of the Bronco design study (ie the Maverick) that has been shown off in sheet metal form already, where as the Bronco is no where to been seen. Both product are based on existing architectures, one is a modified unibody where as the Bronco will be a new BOF, using hard points and harnesses from the Territory Everest, the current SUV based on the Ranger.

Again no, Bronco has zero to do with current Everest.

Bronco is first new vehicle on next generation T6, they went back to square one to develop the architecture to be fully inclusive of US needs as well as changing needs with product envelope globally. So from scratch, it's a four year deal to Job 1 but the Bronco's top hat is being handled exclusively by North America.

Ford is going to get roasted by the press and the Internet if the Maverick comes out before the Bronco and reading the tea leaves makes me suspect that is exactly is what going to happen because the Mexican plants are going down next spring/summer for the Fiesta and Ford isn’t going to let them sit idle that long. I’d expect the Maverick to be out spring summer of 2020, while the Bronco will be lucky to be actually in production by the end of that year. The Mach E CUV will most likely be built at herosillo, which will wait till fusion/MKZ production is completed in 2021 or so. 

First off, i suspect your timetable for Maverick and Bronco is pretty accurate but no, Ford won't get roasted if Maverick is out first. My intel is that Baby Bronco and Mach E will be made at Cuautitlan, not Hermosillo.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

First off, i suspect your timetable for Maverick and Bronco is pretty accurate but no, Ford won't get roasted if Maverick is out first. My intel is that Baby Bronco and Mach E will be made at Cuautitlan, not Hermosillo.

Why Not? People are going to say oh this is the FWD Bronco that we were worried about (because people are idiots)...

From what has been said here, the Mach E was supposed to be built at Hermosillo with the new C Pickup and CUV? Cuautitlan would be the Maverick and something else.

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Fiasco bought a lot of ads, I bet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Why Not? People are going to say oh this is the FWD Bronco that we were worried about (because people are idiots)...

From what has been said here, the Mach E was supposed to be built at Hermosillo with the new C Pickup and CUV? Cuautitlan would be the Maverick and something else.

As of Jan 2017,

C727 Ford CEV BEV/PHEV Cuautitlan, Mexico SOP 9/3/2019 EOP 6/28/2024
C728 Ford CEV HEV Cuautitlan, Mexico SOP 9/3/2019 EOP 6/28/2024
C730 Ford HEV Cuautitlan, Mexico SOP 12/1/2020 EOP 6/28/2024
CX430 Ford GenY CUV Cuautitlan, SOP Mexico 12/19/2019 EOP 11/28/2025

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Is C730 the New Escape and the C727 is the Mach E or whatever its called?

C727 is MACH E, or more precisely, the first known body style of the upcoming Model E architecture. C728 and C730 are additional body styles. They were originally conceived as cars so they have C code. The final product may be more utility like than when the project first started. Complete random guess: 727 is the fastback, 728 is a square back, and 730 is a sedan? To further clarify... JDP is citing something that was posted a while ago so some of the program may have been canceled or merged.

Escape is a utility so the code is CX. I believe it is CX482.

CX430 is baby Bronco.

Edited by bzcat