Bronco comes after the Explorer and new F150

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-explorer-and-a-new-truck-will-debut-befor-1831206305

The supposed product plan was seen by the folks over at OffRoad.com, and apparently, it outlined a plan to reveal the 2020 Ford Explorer, which we’ve already kind of seen, and a new F-Series which is likely a refreshed F-150 before we can get to the goods.

46 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's actually the Super Duty refresh, not F-150. 

Could be both?

Super Duty is due for refresh but F-150 is due for a new model. Plus fall 2019 sounds about right for F-150 hybrid given Ford had previously said it was coming in 2020.

The current F-150 came out in 2014 as 2015 model with 2018 model year mid cycle update. So 2020 model year is definitely a new one. Ford has been on 5-year model cycle with F-150 for the last several generations.

The current F Super Duty came out in 2016 as 2017 model. So 2020 model year is mid cycle update.

Edited by bzcat

13 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Could be both?

Super Duty is due for refresh but F-150 is due for a new model. Plus fall 2019 sounds about right for F-150 hybrid given Ford had previously said it was coming in 2020.

The current F-150 came out in 2014 as 2015 model with 2018 model year mid cycle update. So 2020 model year is definitely a new one. Ford has been on 5-year model cycle with F-150 for the last several generations.

The current F Super Duty came out in 2016 as 2017 model. So 2020 model year is mid cycle update.

We've been told by Ford the F-150 is new for 2021 and I'm pretty sure they mean model year 

6 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

The Bronco will also be a 2021MY with production slated to begin December 2020. It’s still 2 years out from rolling into showrooms.

Thats just fucking crazy...Did they just go oh lets throw the Bronco name out with the Ranger re-release at NAIAS 2017? Ford fucked this one up good if that is the case. There was zero reason to say anything about a Bronco almost 4 years before it was supposed to be released.

With that said, the Maverick has a better chance of being in production before the actual Bronco is...which is should be going by the production dates of the plants in Mexico. 

With that said, I was looking at replacing my SHO in Spring 2021-but we won't see the Bronco most likely till the Summer of that year in large numbers. I hope they don't delay the hybrid verison either-because that would be inexuseable. 

Edited by silvrsvt

12 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

Next generation F-150 will be a 2021MY, with production slated to changeover mid-2020CY.

That's what I figured. I would have seen some of the new robot tooling for the dash panels starting to come in by now if it was changing next year based on how long the new equipment for the next gen Escape has been coming in. 

14 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

The Bronco will also be a 2021MY with production slated to begin December 2020. It’s still 2 years out from rolling into showrooms.

This is what I've been hearing too. Prototypes are tentatively scheduled to come out of the pilot plant in or around April next year. 

12 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Thats just fucking crazy...Did they just go oh lets throw the Bronco name out with the Ranger re-release at NAIAS 2017? Ford fucked this one up good if that is the case. There was zero reason to say anything about a Bronco almost 4 years before it was supposed to be released.

I think they panicked that year because they didn't have fuck all else to show that year. It was I believe the last straw for Mark Fields. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

With that said, the Maverick has a better chance of being in production before the actual Bronco is...which is should be going by the production dates of the plants in Mexico. 

With that said, I was looking at replacing my SHO in Spring 2021-but we won't see the Bronco most likely till the Summer of that year in large numbers. I hope they don't delay the hybrid verison either-because that would be inexuseable. 

Yeah, that's ridiculous if we're still 2 years away with the announcement so early.  Though I'll be in a better spot to get one (if it's what I want it to be), so maybe I shouldn't complain that much.

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think they panicked that year because they didn't have fuck all else to show that year. It was I believe the last straw for Mark Fields. 

The pathetic thing was - they DID have products to show, they just chose to show them at their own events.

2018 F-150 refresh (shown the day before), 2018 Mustang (randomly thrown out a day or two after the show IIRC), 2018 Expy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think it was always on the Ranger platform.

Yes, they way I remember it being described, they scrapped using the current generation platform which isn't going to last too much longer. I  hypothesize they did this for V6/hybrid purposes. The next Gen should be able to handle electrification and a V6, allegedly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, that's ridiculous if we're still 2 years away with the announcement so early.  Though I'll be in a better spot to get one (if it's what I want it to be), so maybe I shouldn't complain that much.

The pathetic thing was - they DID have products to show, they just chose to show them at their own events.

2018 F-150 refresh (shown the day before), 2018 Mustang (randomly thrown out a day or two after the show IIRC), 2018 Expy.

And the Expy reveal event was a half-assed shitshow parade of incompetence. Worse than the Volt dancers. By far. 

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

In regards to the Bronco, didn't they initially plan on a different platform at first only to scrap it for next Gen Ranger platform. I thought that is what delayed it. Anyone?

Nope, just that we knew abut it way too early thanks to leaks way back at project kick off, it was always goiung to be on NG T6

FYI, Ford NA wasn't interested in Ranger until approx 2 years ago, US 2019 is something organised after final refresh on Global was locked in..

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Yes, they way I remember it being described, they scrapped using the current generation platform which isn't going to last too much longer. I  hypothesize they did this for V6/hybrid purposes. The next Gen should be able to handle electrification and a V6, allegedly.

USA is in at the start of NG T6, so the first vehicle is Bronco (CY 2020) 

Edited by jpd80

Yeah, as usual they get it wrong.  The SuperDuty is being refreshed this year (as is Transit). 

The Maverick (CX430) is a 2021 MY product, it should be running pretty closer to Bronco actually.

I know the new F-150 gets a new code which suggests it's all-new, but I suspect it MIGHT be a significant MCE instead of an all-new product.  If it is all-new, that's a relatively short lifecycle for the F-Series and again divides F-150 from SuperDuty.  My prediction is a major rework with the same cab and doors.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's what I figured. I would have seen some of the new robot tooling for the dash panels starting to come in by now if it was changing next year based on how long the new equipment for the next gen Escape has been coming in. 

This is what I've been hearing too. Prototypes are tentatively scheduled to come out of the pilot plant in or around April next year. 

Where are you at now Fuzzy to see IP stuff for F150 or Escape? Pilot? I was told Friday there is Bronco tooling already in the wayne plant in crates waiting.

19 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

Where are you at now Fuzzy to see IP stuff for F150 or Escape? Pilot? I was told Friday there is Bronco tooling already in the wayne plant in crates waiting.

North Stamping (old Wayne Assembly building) F-150 Dash (firewall) line. I get loaned out to the Escape/MKC Floor pan line quite often. We also build F-Series roof rails over here too. 

There's shit all over the place in here, no telling what some of it is. Most of what I've seen that's new is labeled CX482 (2020 Escape) and CX483 (2020 Lincoln MKC). There are some HUGE shrink wrapped things over in the empty section of the building that look about the size of Stamping dies or larger and those have come in steadily since I came over here in August and I have NO clue what any of that is, nor to I have the balls to go check it out either. A, it's creepy as fuck over there and B, no need to draw attention to myself like that. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

They had to do something as word got out in 2016 that once Everest  was done, the next project was an SUV for North America and the Bronco name was linked back then.

Edited by jpd80