Navigator fresh from the man - RSE set up has me furious

Noto

We just got our new Navigator and, to date, I've spent more time in the back seat than front trying to configure the entertainment system on this "amazing" black label beast.  I've come to the conclusion I need to somehow download all the DVD's to a SD card or thumb drive so our 4, 5, and 6 year old don't recreate war in the back of this car.  Please tell me how you have successfully completed this (software) so the two monitors show two movies.  I have started a WinX DVD to AD rip..  . Any other advice?

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Simple...toss out the DVDs, purchase movies on iTunes, play on iPad.  I don't know who those entertainment systems are for, but they are universally unusable now.  

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Is that how yours is configured?  Do you have it hard wired?

Edited by Noto

u cant legally rip movie dvds to a thumb drive.  it can be done but u need bootleg software to go around the copyright software.  your best bet is what I did....  I got the new amazon 4k fire stick.  make sure its the new one because it will run on the power of the built in usb port.  you an get right angle hdmi and usb cables so you can make a clean install and attach the stick behind the screen so it doesn't stick out from the side.  get the data plan to make the built in wifi in the car work.  its 20 bucks a month for unlimited data...  better than my cell phone plan!  this way you have access to hulu  amazon prime Netflix Disney channel etc.  as for playing 2 separate video sources...  I have a sling box so I use the slingplayer built in.  gives me full access to my fios service.  you could try Ultra Violet to down load movies to an SD card but just like prime you would have to rebuy the movies

Edited by god503

10 hours ago, god503 said:

Also to the smart ass who said let them look at the world out the window...  either A) you don't have kids or B) you had kids but you smacked them around to keep them quiet...  ?

You are a piece of work. It's called parenting. Nobody said it was easy, but if you don't want to be a parent you shouldn't have children. You think that before all these entertainment systems, cell phones, iPads, etc children were abused? No, we invented games, sang songs, actually had conversations with our kids  to keep them entertained. I feel sorry for people like you that just have to have piece and quite and call it parenting. So pathetic that you just are so self centered that your kids don't know what it's like to have a real family.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

You are a piece of work. It's called parenting. Nobody said it was easy, but if you don't want to be a parent you shouldn't have children. You think that before all these entertainment systems, cell phones, iPads, etc children were abused? No, we invented games, sang songs, actually had conversations with our kids  to keep them entertained. I feel sorry for people like you that just have to have piece and quite and call it parenting. So pathetic that you just are so self centered that your kids don't know what it's like to have a real family.  

You're calling other people a "piece of work"?  Pot meet kettle. Maybe you should take your own advice and start looking out the window more.

Alright, here are things I have learned so far:

- 3GB trial showed me that you either should go with the $20 unlimited plan or expect data plan  to rack up quick!

- Amazon fire stick is super easy plug and play after hotspot connection BUT you cannot run two different programs from it.

- I have Samsung cell phones.  The phone's internet will not work right in the car if you have configured it to talk to the navigator WiFi.  Remove that connection from your phone and all is well for phone surfing/internet interfacing.

- Unless you have Apple,  disable the setting in the car.

- I downloaded the $40 version of WinX Platinum DVD Ripper to my laptop and burned over 60 DVD's in two days (I don't want to deal with it again) to a 128GB SD chip ($40 at best buy) and 256GB thumb drive ($70 at best buy for a back-up).  Follow the program prompts and recommendations, its super straight forward and works for all of your DVD's.

I did try the ipad configiration (reluctantly), but I have to admit that part of the reason we got the car/system was to remove all the things that go along with extra devices/cables/plugs/.  . . 

I also used an external HD which would work if that's what you have but may require power or tucking the component behind the monitor.  Note that the fire stick/roku might require the power plug. . . 

I've found little use for the Bluetooth or wifi SmartView but it could be fun to project a photo slideshow or video taken from your phone if that's your thing.  You could also cast internet content (youtube) from your phone but. . . . Whatever works for you.

I did download content to Samsung tablets and Ipads, connected to the device by WiFi/BT/cable and still the copyright "handshake" wouldn't let anything go.

The thumb drive and SD card have by far been a preferred option.  There's the one time cost of the chips (should have been included in the car) and software but that's it.  Full control of the content and availability (not movie time, remove the chips).  No configuration conflict nightmares.  Two or one user configiration available (not an option for ANY WiFi connectivity-single source only). And if you use the SD card, there is nothing to break off/break when someone is passing through/reaching around, etc. 

We all love our people, old and young. . . Let's be kind to one another to figure out the ridiculous headaches so we can have more time for those peeps ?

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

You're calling other people a "piece of work"?  Pot meet kettle. Maybe you should take your own advice and start looking out the window more.

Okay thanks for the advise.

I don't know how I made it through life without all these entertainment gadgets. Must be a miracle. Maybe I just had great parents that had time to spend with me growing up.

Edited by coupe3w

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

I don't know how I made it through life without all these entertainment gadgets. Must be a miracle. Maybe I just had great parents that had time to spend with me growing up.

You didn’t grow up with smartphones and tablets and the internet either.  Today’s kids are a different breed.

3 hours ago, coupe3w said:

No I didn't. And none of these things are necessary in a car or at the dinner table.

News flash, your opinion is not worth ANYTHING!  YOU are not necessary in the car or at the dinner table.
The problem is 90% of your posts are nothing more than you being a whiny, pissy ass!
Here's an idea, next time someone asks for some help or advice and you have nothing substantial to offer just stick your hands in your pockets and don't type anything!

19 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

News flash, your opinion is not worth ANYTHING!  YOU are not necessary in the car or at the dinner table.
The problem is 90% of your posts are nothing more than you being a whiny, pissy ass!
Here's an idea, next time someone asks for some help or advice and you have nothing substantial to offer just stick your hands in your pockets and don't type anything!

LOL you're a funny kid.  Are you stocking me?

11 hours ago, coupe3w said:

Something must've went amiss the way you are treating people here ... maybe they spent TOO much time with you :)

• 2 weeks later...

My solution was to hook up a Chromecast to the HDMI input (unlimited data plan for the Navigator a requirement though for this).

However, you can buy a portable blu-ray/DVD player with HDMI out and just use your DVDs in the car.  That said, it is ridiculous for this expensive of a system to not include an actual blu-ray player.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The RSE is extremely disappointing.  For $2000 I feel I got screwed to say the least, lol.  I can overlook that there's no DVD player and I have to rip old movies to an SD card  (but then why make me pay $225 for a USELESS CD player??? Isn't that even more obsolete than a DVD????)  The HDMI input is nice because I can plug a fire stick in and it works great. 

The HUGE problem is the lack of a direct connection to the vehicle sound system.  After a frustrating hour, I was able to connect the monitors to the vehicle sound via the bluetooth connection.  Despite the fact that I have to disable my phone's Bluetooth (or disconnect it from CarPlay) the sound works, BUT there is a second delay between the actors' lips moving and the sound.  I mean, really... how much money do I have to spend to NOT have that problem?  Is it unreasonable after spending almost $100K on a car to have an audio SOURCE say REAR SCREEN?  

I would love to be able to run a cable from the headphone jack into the AUX input, but NOOOOOO there is no AUX input anymore!!!  UGH.  So now, per the suggestion on another thread I'm going to try out one of those FM modulator things.  At least then I'll (fingers crossed) have a connection that doesn't require me to disconnect my phone and hopefully allow me to watch a movie with audio in sync.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Why would YOU want to listen to what your kids are listening to?

I wouldn't necessarily but we try to interact with her about what she's watching as she's watching it so she doesn't get as completely zoned out. She doesn't want to wear headphones and is only 3 so she can't operate the capacitive buttons so easily.