2019 Ford Ranger First Drive

AutoBlog

Well if lower trim feels cheap that's expected, but the Lariat I touched felt as if it was the lower level...Till I saw the "Lariat" tacked on side vent, then I'm low "Wow it surely doesn't feel like Lariat".  I guess it'll be one of those issues people will need to overlook. Otherwise great reviews are coming out.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don't understand all the bitching about lower trims feeling cheap.   If they made them better and raised the price everyone would be bitching about the high prices.

You get what you pay for.

While I agree, when they start coming to dealer lots and go sit in a Ranger XLT, then compare it to a Lariat. It's a HUGE difference. Meanwhile you sit in a Fiesta SE, it is obvious it's not a top level trim but it also doesn't feel like it's cheap. Fusion is another good example of that. The interior of my Fusion feels like it could be a higher trim level than it is. 

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

While I agree, when they start coming to dealer lots and go sit in a Ranger XLT, then compare it to a Lariat. It's a HUGE difference. Meanwhile you sit in a Fiesta SE, it is obvious it's not a top level trim but it also doesn't feel like it's cheap. Fusion is another good example of that. The interior of my Fusion feels like it could be a higher trim level than it is. 

Isn't it the same way with F150 XLT and Lariat?

I agree it shouldn't feel terrible and I also agree Fusion had a really nice interior - probably too nice for the lower price points which most likely helped its demise.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Isn't it the same way with F150 XLT and Lariat?

I agree it shouldn't feel terrible and I also agree Fusion had a really nice interior - probably too nice for the lower price points which most likely helped its demise.

I can't speak to that because I've never compared F-150 trims. I've only ever seen pictures. I just used examples I'm familiar with.

like the Focus. Yes the SE door panel was fairly cheap but it didn't feel exceedingly so. The Ranger XL/XLT door panel literally feels like a hunk of cheap plastic. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing these reviews! I'm now looking forward to taking delivery of my 2019 Ranger XLT in the springtime even more. ?

Regarding the complaint about interior trim feeling cheap, it's a Ford. Ford car and truck interiors have been cheap feeling forever. People who buy Fords know that's just the way it is and accept it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for sharing these reviews! I'm now looking forward to taking delivery of my 2019 Ranger XLT in the springtime even more. ?

Regarding the complaint about interior trim feeling cheap, it's a Ford. Ford car and truck interiors have been cheap feeling forever. People who buy Fords know that's just the way it is and accept it.

I disagree.

• Like 4

American Ranger has been thoroughly updated and improved for duty here. Think of the global Ranger as the truck a kid makes out of Play-Doh and the U.S.-market Ranger as the result when a professional designer uses his tool kit to style a clay buck.

Hilarious beyond belief, the same T6 team developed the US Ranger off the Global truck with relatively minor changes due to lateness in product cycle.

My fusion se interior has been pretty nice. I’d guess it’s the same as the upper trims minus the leather. I was expecting it would be the same here. Obviously if you are getting an xl, you’d expect that to be pretty cheap on the inside, however anything xlt and above should be fairly nice. If they can do it on sedans that they were losing money on, why can’t they do it on trucks which should give them a decent profit?

2 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

My fusion se interior has been pretty nice. I’d guess it’s the same as the upper trims minus the leather. I was expecting it would be the same here. Obviously if you are getting an xl, you’d expect that to be pretty cheap on the inside, however anything xlt and above should be fairly nice.

XL is a work truck.  XLT is really the base consumer model.  If the trims are similar to the F150 trims I don't see any issue whatsoever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Even with F150, Ford prefers to steer retail buyers above XLT

Except they put the biggest rebates on the XLT models ($6K when I bought mine versus $1250 on Lariat and above).

XLT 302A is the sweet spot for value in the F150 lineup.

• Like 2

at akirby.

Generally, XLT s the most popular model in Ranger as well especially when optioned as you mentioned. Ford likes it's Lariat/Wildtrak because they're higher profit. The smart buyer will always be on the look for a great deal and XLT seems to be the best way to do it. I've got a good feeling about Ranger and its trim levels..time will tell I guess.

Edited by jpd80

22 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

at akirby.

Generally, XLT s the most popular model in Ranger as well especially when optioned as you mentioned. Ford likes it's Lariat/Wildtrak because they're higher profit. The smart buyer will always be on the look for a great deal and XLT seems to be the best way to do it. I've got a good feeling about Ranger and its trim levels..time will tell I guess.

Maybe I misunderstood you.  Ford always prefers to sell the higher trims and with F150 they seem to sell themselves even without rebates.  But XLT will always be the sales leader and most popular (and most competitive with other models thus more rebates).

• Like 1