2019 Ford Ranger First Drive

I can't say I've found the cooled seats that effective, but they do help.  The one feature I can't live without is a heated steering wheel.  Every car feels like a luxury car in Winter with heated seats and steering wheel.

And in a surprise to absolutely no-one, guess what Ranger doesn't have but every other Ford does?....a heated steering wheel.  

Edited by Assimilator

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

And in a surprise to absolutely no-one, guess what Ranger doesn't have but every other Ford does?....a heated steering wheel.  

Which is odd considering the steering wheel that is used on the Ranger also has a heated version in the Ford parts bin.

A heated steering wheel is better than a heated seat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

I can't say I've found the cooled seats that effective, but they do help.  The one feature I can't live without is a heated steering wheel.  Every car feels like a luxury car in Winter with heated seats and steering wheel.

I like the heated steering wheel in my Mustang (been using it with the top down), though the outside of my hands still get cold.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:16 PM, jasonj80 said:

Which is odd considering the steering wheel that is used on the Ranger also has a heated version in the Ford parts bin.

A heated steering wheel is better than a heated seat.

I can agree with this. I rarely use the heated seat in my sho. But that heated wheel with remote start is a beautiful thing! Must haves for me now. Push button start (for the ease of entry also no more clicker to get in), Remote Start and big screen for the backup camera.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

I can agree with this. I rarely use the heated seat in my sho. But that heated wheel with remote start is a beautiful thing! Must haves for me now. Push button start (for the ease of entry also no more clicker to get in), Remote Start and big screen for the backup camera.

Impending child and financial circumstances aside, the lack of that and a sunroof is why I'm waiting for the Bronco and/or next generation Ranger. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arizona Mike said:

I'm also sad to see that there are no paddle shifters.  They are great for towing, since you can upshift and downshift without taking your hands off the steering wheel.  My Jeep GC has them, and they are really convenient.

There are a lot of little things the Ranger is missing, most will be fixed when the new one come comes out in a few years. Plus it looks good in a few years that they add things customers want, gives a reason for the early adopters to upgrade to a more expensive unit. This one also gives them info to what this market wants and they can plan accordingly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Mike said:

I'm also sad to see that there are no paddle shifters.  They are great for towing, since you can upshift and downshift without taking your hands off the steering wheel.  My Jeep GC has them, and they are really convenient.

They are convenient but the buttons on the shifter work fine.  I’ve used both.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:36 AM, silvrsvt said:

Gloves suck for driving-rather have my bare hands on the wheel

Dunno; I'm always wearing gloves when I'm on the tractors, so wearing them in the truck doesn't bother me at all.

My dad likes to make fun of me for wearing them, but every time I'm pulling a glove out from where it's gotten pinched between two pieces of equipment, I remind him that it was the glove, and not my hand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

They are convenient but the buttons on the shifter work fine.  I’ve used both.

You must have a console shifter. I never use the rocker on my column shifter.

Actually, I think I used it once, but I've really never found a use for it other than getting the gear indicator back. The 6R80 just does a much better job than I ever expected a slushbox to do.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:40 PM, wildosvt said:

Push button start (for the ease of entry also no more clicker to get in), Remote Start and big screen for the backup camera.

The pushbutton start isn't a big deal to me, but that remote start is wonderful. I got used to it while I was driving my folks' Flex, so I ended up adding it to my F-150. (It was trivial: buy the kit from Ford, have the keys cut, program them, then use Forscan to enable it. I didn't even add the antenna for about a week.) I do like that I don't even have to take the fob out of my pocket to drive the Flex, but sticking the key in the ignition and turning it to Run isn't that big of a real.

9 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

I do like that I don't even have to take the fob out of my pocket to drive the Flex, but sticking the key in the ignition and turning it to Run isn't that big of a real.

My Edge has push button start, my Flex does not. 90% of the time I drive the Edge. Remembering to use a key is a pain. 

What i I really wish is that you could train a fob to multiple vehicles- e.g. if the Flex had push button start I could use the same key for both.  I guess the coming age of cell phone as a key will accomplish that. 

On 12/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Impending child and financial circumstances aside, the lack of that and a sunroof is why I'm waiting for the Bronco and/or next generation Ranger. 

At one time I was really excited about the return of the Ranger. However, besides not being particularly impressed with Ford's effort, my needs have changed since I retired. Unlike most people, instead of downsizing I bought a much larger property along with the equipment to take care of it. I also no longer have a small garage that an F-series simply wouldn't fit into. Bottom line for me is I need more capability than I used to and the 2019 Ranger ain't gonna cut it. Add in the fact that pretty well equipped left-over '18 F-150's can be had for about what a fully loaded '19 Ranger will cost and my decision becomes pretty simple...

On 12/22/2018 at 8:55 AM, sullynd said:

My Edge has push button start, my Flex does not. 90% of the time I drive the Edge. Remembering to use a key is a pain. 

What i I really wish is that you could train a fob to multiple vehicles- e.g. if the Flex had push button start I could use the same key for both.  I guess the coming age of cell phone as a key will accomplish that. 

I can't take on a second car note at all right now. Being laid off for 3 months coupled with some unfortunately timed emergency expenses (aren't they all?) any savings we built up was taken out this summer.