Deciding on Exterior & Interior Color / Choosing Navigator v Expediton

Another post looking for some input ...

We are having a tough time settling on an exterior and interior color. We really like the Chalet Theme interior on the Black Label, but not sure we really want to shell out the $10K extra for that interior plus included service and annual detailing (we wouldn't use the other services honestly). We have decided we need the L thanks to responses to the other topic I posted. I don't LOVE the look of the longer body.

In a perfect world, I love the look of a black Navigator with the chrome accents and brighter wheels (Black in Reserve package say), but we have two YOUNG kids and likely will keep this car much longer than we normally do (generally 3 years of late ... yes, I know it's dumb financially) so black does not feel smart this time around. We are probably leaning toward White Platinum but I don't like the look of it as well with all the chrome of the Reserve (tend to like the chrome contrast with a darker exterior). If we chose the Reserve it would likely be the Cappuccino interior as the black is too dark overall and the Slate Grey we aren't too sure about. So then I'm back to the Black Label ... I don't love the rims but I like the contrast they provide on a lighter exterior (like White Platinum) and the black trim pieces (I don't like them on the darker exteriors on Black Label because the black accents get lost).

In all honesty I may like the rims on the Select model best of them all. They look a little more aggressive and less sleek to me. However, I like the extras on the Reserve (especially the top of the line stereo).

Sorry I am talking all over the place ... that sentiment of confusion leads me to ask myself, "If you don't love the look of the extended length and are having a tough time deciding on exterior and interior color why not just save the $s and get an Expedition?" Theoretically all I'd be tangibly missing would be a better stereo and Heads Up Display (obviously lots of other things like upscale interior, etc. too). I would HAVE to get the Platinum trim in the Expedition I believe due to wanting the adaptive ride, but there I don't like the rims so much and would likely choose a dark exterior to contrast the brighter rims of the Platinum.

Obviously I am all over the place with this decision ... any input or experience you also had making these decisions PLEASE feel free to share! Thanks for listening!

I had decided to buy an Expedition, but there were very few Platinum trims available when we were looking so we decided to drop by the Lincoln dealer to see just how much more a Navigator was. Things that influenced our decision were: Select trim wasn't that much more, HUD, 30 way seats (easily worth the money), shifters on the steering wheel for those mountain visits, bigger center screen, and nicer interior. We would have been happy if we bought the Ford, but the HUD and seats alone make it easy for me to justify. I know you're struggling with styling, but there are enough functional differences to matter apart from styling (in my opinion, obviously).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tobe said:

Do check out the differences in interior trim that comes on the Black Label. They are pretty nice.

It's been hard to catch one that stays in for any time around here ... care to elaborate? I know the themes provide different color choices and wood trim, but aside from the suede-like headliner are there any other major trim differences?

We really like the restyling of the 2018 Navigator; The technology all up to current best available ... question was if the premium price on Black Label worth it over Reserve with the options we wanted ... the we got to see a Black Label Burgandy Velvet with Destination Theme —— game over, ordered one.  Delivered in April 2018 and we are very very happy with it.  

Color and interior is a highly personal preference but I think one will know it when they see the one they want.

Thanks again for all the input. I think we've decided on the Navigator in White Platinum in Black Label with the Chalet Theme. Gonna go back and forth on Lincoln Play ... we are into technology but I kind of wish they just included a DVD to make it a bit less of a guessing game on how well it will actually work.

We will wait to order (wanting a 2nd row bench) until seeing what Chevy/Cadillac has to offer for their redesign but leaning heavy toward the Lincoln either way.

12 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Thanks again for all the input. I think we've decided on the Navigator in White Platinum in Black Label with the Chalet Theme. Gonna go back and forth on Lincoln Play ... we are into technology but I kind of wish they just included a DVD to make it a bit less of a guessing game on how well it will actually work.

We will wait to order (wanting a 2nd row bench) until seeing what Chevy/Cadillac has to offer for their redesign but leaning heavy toward the Lincoln either way.

I would suggest a close look at the third row seating if you expect any adult use there.  From my view the Navigator is unmatched in room (especially leg and foot room) in the third row.

11 hours ago, LHB said:

I would suggest a close look at the third row seating if you expect any adult use there.  From my view the Navigator is unmatched in room (especially leg and foot room) in the third row.

Yes, I agree currently, but the Chevy/GMC/Cadillac are going to an independent rear suspension as well and will surely have a better 3rd row in the redesign. Rumors are it will show in Detroit next month. I still think we will want the Lincoln, but think we should wait to see what the GMs offer as we aren't in a hurry.

We've gone all over the place on interior color. Our first choice is white with russet interior but they are hard to find. We looked at a new white Black Label with the burgundy interior. Forgot the name of it but it was beautiful with the white. The HUD is a must for us. We've had it for so many years it's one of those things you get used to and don't want to be without. When we found out the new Navigator had it we immediately became more interested in getting one.

DCP,  where did you purchase in Houston? We've been to two local dealerships, trying to buy from Planet but they don't have any equipped like we want and they are not really interested in finding one elsewhere.

Edited by C130

C130: I bought from West Point, but it was a terrible experience. I found the one I wanted at a dealership in Dallas. They got it for me, but then tried to charge me $500 as a transfer fee. That is not, however, why I think that they are terrible. They push add ons at every moment, including a etching package they add without requesting it. Nothing remotely like what I expect from a luxury car dealer.

9 minutes ago, DCP said:

C130: I bought from West Point, but it was a terrible experience. I found the one I wanted at a dealership in Dallas. They got it for me, but then tried to charge me $500 as a transfer fee. That is not, however, why I think that they are terrible. They push add ons at every moment, including a etching package they add without requesting it. Nothing remotely like what I expect from a luxury car dealer.

Thanks, already had one bad experience with West Point. I called about one online and they informed it it was on the lot. Drove over there and they told me they had just sold it. It had the russet interior which we wanted to see in person. I asked to see it and they told me the buyers had already left. No way they sold it between me calling and arriving. I guess it's possible but highly unlikely that everything was completed within an hour.

My closest dealer, Planet Lincoln, has zero interest in getting  one from another dealer, even a dealer owned  but he same person. I found done we wanted in Dallas also, Planet wouldn't help in getting it. I'm just going to try to get one directly from whichever dealer has one we want, I'm tired of dealing with Planet. Sales guy is nice but shows zero interest in selling one that's not on their lot and they don't have many and they have zero equipped the way I want it.

Edited by C130

Our salesman at Westpoint Lincoln was very helpful.  He helped us get a look at a Burgandy Velvet Destination Theme (the day it arrived before it was delivered to the person who ordered it) and actually mentioned X Plan possibility and helped checking that I could qualify.  He is now a used car sales manager there.

It is not unusual for dealers to add things to their inventory cars with very high markups (like tinting, etching, etc.) but will give away or reduce to cost rather than loose a sale. Since we ordered our Navigator at delivery they asked about etching, wheel warranty (those are very pricy wheels), extended warranty, etc.  We declined all except for the Ford ESP full coverage to 6yr 60k miles (all that tech gets real expensive to fix/replace).  I shop Ford ESP on internet ... there 2 or 3 dealers that will sell them at significant discount ... and take those to my dealer who inevitably, one way or another, will match or beat.

I am really aware of how dealers try to add things on, but I expect more from a dealer selling a high end vehicle, like not insisting that I have to buy an add on. The contrast between my treatment at the Lincoln dealer and the Lexus dealer down the street was stunning. My prior experiences with BMW and Porsche dealerships were also in stark contrast. It was much more similar (but not as bad) as my visit to the sleezy misleading Hyundai dealer when I was helping my daughter buy a car. 

I have not been impressed by Lincoln sales people myself but very few car salesmen are actually professional no matter the dealer or how high end. There are exceptions but the bad ones ruin the reputation of many. I just don';t understand why they have to continually lie. The Navigator will sell itself, no need to lie. We have been long time BMW customers and our local BMW dealer who I have dealt with for quite a few years pulled some very unethical tricks a month ago. Due to that one experience we are done with BMW for the near future. We went in to get in another new lease and walked out saying we want be customers now. This dealership used to be outstanding in all aspects but started going downhill about three years ago. I have always had items offered but not added automatically without taking them off if I told them I'm not paying for them. I have had that happen once and I told them I didn't want it, wasn't paying for it, and they took the price off to keep the sale. 

When I got in to a dealership I just want to be treated profesionally and no BS. I don't want to be told how bad Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc is, just tell me how good the vehicle I'm interested is. I had a sales guy recently start slamming Mercedes, I mean come on. All of the luxury vehicles are nice, none of them are crappy, so need need to out down another competitor. People buying these vehicles aren't stupid.

Edited by C130

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why would you walk away from BMW because of ONE salesman at ONE dealership?  That doesn't make sense.

Because they are the closest dealership to our home, closest of any manufacturer. We had been very interested in the Navigator for a while but as most know once you start leasing with one dealer/manufacturer it's very easy to keep it going. We always do the BMW 'pull ahead" and it has some advantages. They also offer us some of the add ons for free, usually for any one I add on they will match another for free. It wasn't the sales person alone, it's their manager. Arrogant, conceded jerk. They used to have the best staff I've dealt with at any dealership, things have changed. We have several friends that left this dealership also, long time customers, high end BMW's, they now drive another brand.

So, we just decided if we were going to have to drive further to a dealership anyways plus the fact we were really interested in a larger SUV  we were done with BMW for a while.  We went to the BMW dealership like we have done on every other BMW lease with the full intention of leaving in a new BMW. There's more to the story but it was their last chance. Plus the more we looked at the Navigator the less we liked the BMW. My wife's current BMW lease is up next month. If Lincoln brings the MF down on the 19's I'm pretty sure we'll get one. No way will I pay over 5% MF on a lease, if that's the case I'll purchase it or get another vehicle. Looks like 2.9% financing on 60 months now. not sure on the MF.

I also didn't mean to slam any care salesmen. It's just a fact many move from dealer to dealer and very few make it as a true career, at least in the larger cities. I know a few salesmen that are true professionals and they have made a nice career out of selling vehicles. 

Edited by C130

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why would you walk away from BMW because of ONE salesman at ONE dealership?  That doesn't make sense.

My experience is that a dealership pushes the sales folks to do this. In my case for my Lincoln purchase, it continued throughout the experience dealing with two different finance people. It's the endless "you have to buy this" that I find offensive. Offer that I can consider tire insurance or whatever, sure. "It's already on the car." Awful. 

I bought he maintenance plan and extended warranty on my F450. The maintenance plan is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. The finance guy told so many lies about what it covered. I had never bought it before but thought 'd try it. The service manager told me it's a big issue within their finance guys who try and sell this stuff at any cost so they lie about it. Then the service department has to deal with irate customers who find out their coolant flush, transmission flush, etc isn't covered. I constantly have to check everything they do that is covered, half the time they don't even do what is included in the plan. The latest discussion is what "change transmission fluid" means. Service department says it only means they add fluid if necessary, maintenance plan says "change transmission fluid" or something close to that, don't have it in front of me to quote exactly.

Edited by C130

I bought he maintenance plan and extended warranty on my F450. The maintenance plan is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. The finance guy told so many lies about what it covered. I had never bought it before but thought 'd try it. The service manager told me it's a big issue within their finance guys who try and sell this stuff at any cost so they lie about it. Then the service department has to deal with irate customers who find out their coolant flush, transmission flush, etc isn't covered. I constantly have to check everything they do that is covered, half the time they don't even do what is included in the plan. The latest argument is what "changing transmission flu 

5 hours ago, C130 said:

I bought he maintenance plan and extended warranty on my F450. The maintenance plan is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. The finance guy told so many lies about what it covered. I had never bought it before but thought 'd try it. The service manager told me it's a big issue within their finance guys who try and sell this stuff at any cost so they lie about it. Then the service department has to deal with irate customers who find out their coolant flush, transmission flush, etc isn't covered. I constantly have to check everything they do that is covered, half the time they don't even do what is included in the plan. The latest discussion is what "change transmission fluid" means. Service department says it only means they add fluid if necessary, maintenance plan says "change transmission fluid" or something close to that, don't have it in front of me to quote exactly.

You got my attention with this post.  We bought it as well and added the pick up and delivery for it as well, I do not wanna deal with going to the dealership so the pickup/delivery was a no brained.  The finance guy told me the same thing about what’s covered.  Do you think the ford plan is different than the Lincoln plan? I wanna say he gave me a brochure of items covered and it included trans flush and even shocks/struts along with a bunch of other things I was surprised to see.