Lincoln Contentinal "Coach Doors" aka Sucide doors!

16 hours ago, icecoffee76 said:

Suicide doors would have a different crash rating then conventional doors. Not sure how they could be an after factory option for the vehicle and not impact its structural stiffness. 

Well they lengthened the wb and reconfigured the rear door opening, giving the rear doors the same mounting points as the door was before being flipped, it really is no difference safety wise. The center pillar is as before. 

Press Release:  http://www.campaign.ford.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2018/12/17/80-anniversary-lincoln-continental-center-opening-doors-coach.html

• Introduction of Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition pays homage to the iconic style of the 1960s
  • This limited-edition Continental offers nod to heritage while providing refinements for today’s discerning luxury client, such as an elegantly crafted rear-seat pass-through console with stowable tray table and tablet holder
  • Limited run of 80 units, honoring Continental’s 80th anniversary, will be produced for the 2019 model year, each personalized with a unique badge; Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition is scheduled to arrive next summer

So it is confirmed it 99% of us will never see one of these things.  Meh.

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Well, can't fault them for trying something new and exclusive.  Looks like Continental isn't getting an update sadly. 

Other than that, I personally have zero interest in what essentially amounts to a 3rd-party limo conversion. 

Well these are technically 2019 models, so the 2020 model Continental may still get some updates, at the very least, lets hope for the 8 speed auto!

As for the 3rd party conversion, its not unprecedented in the Lincoln heritage...in the 1960's Lincoln offered Lehman Peterson limo's.

Lets all give Lincoln credit for having the guts to do this at all, and not just slap on "80th Anniversary" badges and call it a day! lol Even if its just an under 100 unit build, it will get lots of press and discussion out there and shows they are serious to compete in the upper luxury class, showcasing their heritage.

And it worked out very well for Lincoln that just last month Cadillac announced the death of their "flagship" CT6 in 2019...next months Detroit Show will be a nice demo of contrasts between these longtime US rivals!

Edited by spudz64

I think the primary customer here will probably be collectors or livery services with chauffers, especially since the doors are unwieldy to close from inside the cabin which makes them very inelegant to use.  The only problem with Continental is that it has a very low roofline in the back which makes it a particularly poor choice for limo services.  I know my head goes straight into the ceiling in the back of Continental.  

I love what Lincoln has done here, but Lincoln makes far better vehicles (moving forward) to pay attention to.  

Edited by Assimilator

Does anyone know if they will be modified at the factory or sent to a QVM? I bet they will have a close eye on the quality of these units. Being modified doesn’t bother me as long as it’s done well and you can’t tell. Serviceability would be my only real worry years from now . These modifications aren’t like a 1985 Cadillac eldorado covertible. Talk about scary. Ever pick up a uni-bodied car that’s been cut into a convertible. Ugh! The door jamb gap moves 1/2 an inch. 

20 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Does anyone know if they will be modified at the factory or sent to a QVM? I bet they will have a close eye on the quality of these units. Being modified doesn’t bother me as long as it’s done well and you can’t tell. Serviceability would be my only real worry years from now . These modifications aren’t like a 1985 Cadillac eldorado covertible. Talk about scary. Ever pick up a uni-bodied car that’s been cut into a convertible. Ugh! The door jamb gap moves 1/2 an inch. 

I'm trying to get confirmation from a friend at the plant but he's pretty sure they’re being sent somewhere else for modification. 

On 12/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, akirby said:

Absolutely.  This is no different than my F150 supercab and it’s a pain when you have both doors open and both the driver and rear seat passenger get out at the same time when you’re parked next to something or someone.   There is almost no room to close either door.

These open independently.

5 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

The quiet luxury deal is fine but they need to create noise on this car. It needs a buzz and some marketing. Put it in some movies and some good commercials. 

I disagree.  Aviator is the one they should throw into movies and commercials.  It represents the future of the Lincoln brand, not this modified Continental.  IF this were a new CD6 RWD model with suicide doors, I'd be more on board with the idea of throwing it out there, but not this.

23 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

These open independently.

I know but that’s not what I was getting at.   When you’re next to another vehicle and you open both doors and two people exit then you have to shuffle to one side and close one door to get out.  With the longer doors on the Continental there is a lot more room though.   With my F150 supercab it’s pretty tight.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm trying to get confirmation from a friend at the plant but he's pretty sure they’re being sent somewhere else for modification. 

I’d be interested on how it’s shipped to them. Like the mkt limo they send it as a partial car ready to be finished. Wonder if the coach builder will stretch it and modify the doors or just modify the doors and the stretch is factory.