Caddy to show off XT6 at Detroit

silvrsvt

It is nothing but an XT5-L, apparently. The XT4 is where the action will be in my opinion. My prediction is that Aviator will blow away the XT6, but the new Corsair can't come fast enough if Lincoln wants to compete with some of the great new luxury compact crossover offerings out there.

https://carbuzz.com/news/cadillac-won-t-bother-giving-the-xt6-crossover-a-unique-interior?fbclid=IwAR1fh2ZK-iPTwHIWEbLTfd711C9fJRVwIWT_HyC7uiQXRU6HuRxNwN3zqog 

I keep hearing that Cadillac has dropped the ball on this one. I'll reserve judgement but this doesn't look good. Does it seem like they spent so much money on development of the cars, they have really rested on their laurels for CUV's? They only had the Escalade and SRX for so long. The Escalade sold because Lincoln gave up and there was no competition. The XT5 is nothing ground breaking.  XT4 is like they just mailed it in. They really need a new design language

Edited by jcartwright99

9 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I keep hearing that Cadillac has dropped the ball on this one. I'll reserve judgement but this doesn't look good. Does it seem like they spent so much money on development of the cars, they have really rested on their laurels for CUV's? They only had the Escalade and SRX for so long. The Escalade sold because Lincoln gave up and there was no competition. The XT5 is nothing ground breaking.  XT4 is like they just mailed it in. They really need a new design language

This seems to go back to the assertion that GM has been cutting costs on product development and design and this sure looks like it fits that bill.   Start with a XT5 and spend half a day with photoshop and boom - XT6!

Is Caddy doing anything new or unique with drivetrains?   Or will this come with the standard 3.6L V6?

43 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

XT4 barely beats MKC today, especially when it comes to power.  Corsair is going to absolutely humiliate XT4.

We can safely say Lincoln has eclipsed Cadillac at this point.  

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here in regards to Lincoln. Let's let the Aviator, Corsair and new Escalade come out first before we make any declarations. 2019 could be a big turning point for Lincoln.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

This seems to go back to the assertion that GM has been cutting costs on product development and design and this sure looks like it fits that bill.   Start with a XT5 and spend half a day with photoshop and boom - XT6!

Is Caddy doing anything new or unique with drivetrains?   Or will this come with the standard 3.6L V6?

The Chi platform can only support transverse engine so 3.6 V6 is the most GM has to offer.

2.5 I4, 2.0 Turbo I4, 3.6 V6... pick your poison.

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The XT6 will probably beat the Aviator in sales just based on Price, XT6 will probably start in the mid-high 40's and top out in the Mid 70's with super cruise etc. The Aviator will be Mid 60's base and could see 100K fully loaded.

Umm I don't think so.  The Navigator tops out at 100k fully loaded.  The Aviator will start in the 50's and should top out in the 70's

On 12/14/2018 at 11:25 AM, Assimilator said:

XT4 barely beats MKC today, especially when it comes to power.  Corsair is going to absolutely humiliate XT4.

We can safely say Lincoln has eclipsed Cadillac at this point.  

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Now we just need sales to follow.

There are a couple of things holding Lincoln back, in my opinion. One, they are still working off the perception legacy of the lost decade. Navigator and now Aviator are taking care of that, though building brand loyalty and making those conquest sales takes a little time. Second, luxury buyers just don't prefer to shop at mass-market dealerships. Lincoln is working on forcing stand-along Lincoln dealerships, but that's a longer-term project. If you want proof of that, just look at Navi/Esc sales in the last year and a half. Granted, a significantly improved Escalade is on the horizon but the Caddy still greatly outsells the Lincoln Navigator despite the latter currently being the clearly superior product. But part of that might be Lincoln's supply problem with the Navi. They just didn't have the courage of their convictions, it seems, in planning early build capacity. Hope they get supply on the Aviator right, because the demand on that one is going to crush.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

I bet a Black Label PHEV will be in the $80Ks.

I'll take that bet.  The price difference between a loaded Navigator and a loaded Expedition is @$22,000.  A loaded Explorer is @$54,000 if you add $22,000 (which is a greater percentage) you get @76,000. I say it will be in the $70k's

10 hours ago, msm859 said:

I'll take that bet.  The price difference between a loaded Navigator and a loaded Expedition is @$22,000.  A loaded Explorer is @$54,000 if you add $22,000 (which is a greater percentage) you get @76,000. I say it will be in the $70k's

In a world where the Range Rover Velar (a very nice 2-row) just nudges above $80k fully loaded, my spider sense is telling me that a loaded Grand Touring also cracks 80. Would be nice if they can keep it in the 70s, but we'll find out for sure in a few months.

10 hours ago, msm859 said:

But the Navigator doesn't come as a plug in hybrid.   The PHEV option alone is probably $10K.

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

In a world where the Range Rover Velar (a very nice 2-row) just nudges above $80k fully loaded, my spider sense is telling me that a loaded Grand Touring also cracks 80. Would be nice if they can keep it in the 70s, but we'll find out for sure in a few months.

I thought someone at Lincoln talked about their competition - Q7, X5, XC90 etc. and when you look at those they can get to $80K+ totally loaded, so I think Lincoln would want to beat them and keep it under $80k

1 minute ago, msm859 said:

I thought someone at Lincoln talked about their competition - Q7, X5, XC90 etc. and when you look at those they can get to $80K+ totally loaded, so I think Lincoln would want to beat them and keep it under $80k

Exactly.  It's more about how it stacks up against the competition and what they charge than how it compares to other Ford products.   The PHEV Aviator is in a completely new class.

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

Exactly.  It's more about how it stacks up against the competition and what they charge than how it compares to other Ford products.   The PHEV Aviator is in a completely new class.

Which means they can charge whatever they want for it really*

*as long as they're getting that mythical 10% margin 

13 hours ago, msm859 said:

A couple points here - Explorer is likely to push further north with the new model to begin with, AND more importantly, both models will come with hybridization, which hasn't been available at all, which is likely to add to the pricepoint.  Furthermore, with Explorer reportedly only getting a regular hybrid setup, and Aviator getting a more expensive PHEV setup only, that will also add to the pricing gap between the two, pushing Aviator even higher.  I don't see a scenario where Aviator won't top out in the 80s.

18 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

There are a couple of things holding Lincoln back, in my opinion. One, they are still working off the perception legacy of the lost decade. Navigator and now Aviator are taking care of that, though building brand loyalty and making those conquest sales takes a little time. Second, luxury buyers just don't prefer to shop at mass-market dealerships. Lincoln is working on forcing stand-along Lincoln dealerships, but that's a longer-term project. If you want proof of that, just look at Navi/Esc sales in the last year and a half. Granted, a significantly improved Escalade is on the horizon but the Caddy still greatly outsells the Lincoln Navigator despite the latter currently being the clearly superior product. But part of that might be Lincoln's supply problem with the Navi. They just didn't have the courage of their convictions, it seems, in planning early build capacity. Hope they get supply on the Aviator right, because the demand on that one is going to crush.

Yup, I agree.  It's funny that they did so much work years ago consolidating into Ford-Lincoln stores, when the opposite was really needed for Lincoln long term to have a truly luxury experience.  I understand why it was done, though.  Hopefully they can start getting this process going more quickly, it can only help.  I also think Cadillac (and other luxury brands for that matter) have a lot more dealers than Lincoln does, so they're able to reach a broader audience, whereas Lincoln shoppers would need to do more work to seek out a dealer.

You're definitely right about them having to polish off the tarnish the Lincoln brand has gotten over the past decade plus, and that won't happen overnight, as we're seeing with Cadillac.  But Navigator, Aviator, and to a lesser extent Conti, are great stepping stones to start propelling the brand upward in the public's mind.  I think Aviator opened a lot of eye, and everything I've seen on it has been positive.  I'd love to see them do a major and consistent (not just a few ads at debut and then nothing) push advertising-wise when Aviator arrives.  Hammer it home and get the word out.