How many manuals Vs. Autos produced for 2018?

LSchicago

I have no idea of the breakdown.   There are still some guys who absolutely refuse to buy an automatic, though, and some are adamant to the point of being fanatical about it.    Facebook and the Mustang forums have plenty of discussion about manuals vs. automatics.    The 2018+ Mustangs have some advantages over the earlier models but none as critical as the 10R80 transmission, IMO.     If not for the 10 speed, I would probably have kept my 2016 with the manual.    

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Ford never publishes that info (at least not recently).  It’s usually only available if a car club gets the info from an insider at Ford.   If it’s available one of the mustang forums would have it.

That's why I was hoping for an answer here. I think the take rate of the Auto's went way up this year. 

It varies depending on the Market and I can only give you information on my dealership here in CT. For us the V-6 Mustang's we stocked were nearly all automatics as was the case with the EcoBoost models. With the GT's the model mix was about 90% manual transmissions for many years. After the 2005MY and the increased demand, customer inquiries, changing retail order mix, etc. I started looking even more closely as to what was being stocked at other dealerships in the 50-75 mile range from our dealership. There were very few automatic GT's being stocked yet we were seeing increased demand and sales of the automatic GT's. The GT customer demographic was aging and a lot of the GT customers that wanted and/or could afford to buy a GT could no longer drive a manual transmission due to medical issues. So we started stocking more automatic transmission GT's and our sales went up vs. the competition. It's now at a point where 75% plus of our GT sales are automatics! 

Right now we have (6) 2019 Mustang's in stock.

• 2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible (Velocity Blue w/Ebony Leather, 201A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Black Accent Package)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (Velocity Blue w/Ebony Cloth, 300A, Automatic, Black Accent Package, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust) 
  • 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (Magnetic w/Ebony Cloth, 300A, 6-Speed Manual, GT Performance, Active Valve Performance Exhaust)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (Oxford White w/Ebony Cloth, 301A, Automatic, Black Accent Package, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Enhanced Security, Navigation)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Ruby Red w/Ebony Leather, 401A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Black Accent Package, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, B&O Premium Sound System)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Premium Fastback (Kona Blue w/Ebony Leather, 400A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Enhanced Security, Navigation, Over-the-Top Racing Stripes)

As the prices go up we're starting to stock more GT's w/300A & 301A and finding that customers looking for the higher end Premium GT's have much more specific requirements making it harder to stock those vehicles. We could have a GT with their exact specifications but they'd want one in a different color. It's not easy balancing the Mustang inventory with only 6 in stock on average which is why we don't stock a lot of manual transmission models as those we can usually get via a Dealer Trade. A lot of it is just paying attention to the changing customer demographics, customer needs, etc. and then adjusting the inventory mix over time.

Hope this general information at the dealership level is of some help and interest! 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, ice-capades said:

It varies depending on the Market and I can only give you information on my dealership here in CT. For us the V-6 Mustang's we stocked were nearly all automatics as was the case with the EcoBoost models. With the GT's the model mix was about 90% manual transmissions for many years. After the 2005MY and the increased demand, customer inquiries, changing retail order mix, etc. I started looking even more closely as to what was being stocked at other dealerships in the 50-75 mile range from our dealership. There were very few automatic GT's being stocked yet we were seeing increased demand and sales of the automatic GT's. The GT customer demographic was aging and a lot of the GT customers that wanted and/or could afford to buy a GT could no longer drive a manual transmission due to medical issues. So we started stocking more automatic transmission GT's and our sales went up vs. the competition. It's now at a point where 75% plus of our GT sales are automatics! 

Right now we have (6) 2019 Mustang's in stock.

• 2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible (Velocity Blue w/Ebony Leather, 201A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Black Accent Package)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (Velocity Blue w/Ebony Cloth, 300A, Automatic, Black Accent Package, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust) 
  • 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (Magnetic w/Ebony Cloth, 300A, 6-Speed Manual, GT Performance, Active Valve Performance Exhaust)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (Oxford White w/Ebony Cloth, 301A, Automatic, Black Accent Package, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Enhanced Security, Navigation)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Ruby Red w/Ebony Leather, 401A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Black Accent Package, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, B&O Premium Sound System)
  • 2019 Mustang GT Premium Fastback (Kona Blue w/Ebony Leather, 400A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Enhanced Security, Navigation, Over-the-Top Racing Stripes)

As the prices go up we're starting to stock more GT's w/300A & 301A and finding that customers looking for the higher end Premium GT's have much more specific requirements making it harder to stock those vehicles. We could have a GT with their exact specifications but they'd want one in a different color. It's not easy balancing the Mustang inventory with only 6 in stock on average which is why we don't stock a lot of manual transmission models as those we can usually get via a Dealer Trade. A lot of it is just paying attention to the changing customer demographics, customer needs, etc. and then adjusting the inventory mix over time.

Hope this general information at the dealership level is of some help and interest! 

Thanks, that is a big help. I have no issue driving a stick, but the automatic is so much quicker, and so advanced that I wouldn't have considered the problematic (at least in the 18's) MT82. Sounds safe to say at least half are now automatics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, the 10 speeds are closer ratio gearing, much faster than one can shift but I'll also stick with  my 6 speed. MT-82 6 speeds, still made in China (I've no problem with it) I'd imagine but most of the initial bugs fixed dealing with the floating gear shifter. The automatic can't duplicate the shift patterns and/at RPM levels, or the sound derived from manual shifts. Well do have open side pipes, Corsa Xtremes and Trackey. image.thumb.jpeg.77c36b4ecd819ba3689f93325d7cf599.jpeg

Ten speed? Now get that with the 6 cylinder and you've got a very fast combo but still sounds like sh _ _. May even keep up with many of the S-197 8 cylinders, no doubt especially before returning to the 302CID.

IMHO only but back in the days when.... And even just a 4 speed was enough of a decision factor. However other car is an auto and I don't even think too much when driving that, only discussing Mustang here.

Edited by Rich B.

I'm planning to buy a used Boxster in the next few years and I'm still on the fence whether to go manual or PDK.  The Porsche PDK is THE best auto-manual, no question.  And I've driven one in a 911 GT3 and Turbo on the track in auto mode and it's fantastic.   But I do like to shift gears and had always planned to get a stick.  

#firstworldproblems

If it were all about fun on the street, I would have gotten the manual in my Mustang.   To be more accurate, I would have just kept my 2016 GT with the manual.   However, there is a sizable difference in quarter mile times between the manual and 10 speed auto.   I like to drag race so it was the 10 speed for me.   With the various driving modes, configurable instrumentation and active exhaust, there is still plenty to play with.    With the various drive modes, the 10 speed is almost like having 4 different transmissions - smooth and polite in normal mode up to raise hell hooligan in drag mode with sport+ and track along the way.   There is also the snow/wet mode but that basically changes the throttle mapping.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, brucelinc said:

If it were all about fun on the street, I would have gotten the manual in my Mustang.   To be more accurate, I would have just kept my 2016 GT with the manual.   However, there is a sizable difference in quarter mile times between the manual and 10 speed auto.   I like to drag race so it was the 10 speed for me.   With the various driving modes, configurable instrumentation and active exhaust, there is still plenty to play with.    With the various drive modes, the 10 speed is almost like having 4 different transmissions - smooth and polite in normal mode up to raise hell hooligan in drag mode with sport+ and track along the way.   There is also the snow/wet mode but that basically changes the throttle mapping.

100%!

The 2018 Mustang GT/A10 is the first Mustang under $50K to run 11's out of the showroom, bone stock. And they can be bought near $30K new with the right deal. Only stock Mustang quicker from Ford is the 2013-14 GT500, and not by much. The 2018 NA 460HP is quicker than the 2012 GT500 that came with a 550HP SC engine. That's pretty amazing what 6 years of technology does!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LSchicago said:

The 2018 Mustang GT/A10 is the first Mustang under $50K to run 11's out of the showroom, bone stock. And they can be bought near $30K new with the right deal. Only stock Mustang quicker from Ford is the 2013-14 GT500, and not by much. The 2018 NA 460HP is quicker than the 2012 GT500 that came with a 550HP SC engine. That's pretty amazing what 6 years of technology does!

Very true.   Also, it takes a pretty good pilot in a 2013-2014 GT500 to beat a new Mustang GT.   I have seen them run at my tracks and while they turn a higher trap speed, they don't always turn quicker ETs.    Another interesting thing is that our 10 speed auto mustangs are quicker on the dragstrip than new GT350s with their voodoo engines and manual transmissions.   Those Voodoo engines sound exotic once wound up but they don't have low end torque and the manual makes them difficult to launch without bogging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

Very true.   Also, it takes a pretty good pilot in a 2013-2014 GT500 to beat a new Mustang GT.   I have seen them run at my tracks and while they turn a higher trap speed, they don't always turn quicker ETs.    Another interesting thing is that our 10 speed auto mustangs are quicker on the dragstrip than new GT350s with their voodoo engines and manual transmissions.   Those Voodoo engines sound exotic once wound up but they don't have low end torque and the manual makes them difficult to launch without bogging.

Yes, my son has a 13 GT500 (3 years now) and after riding in my 18 GT he said he didn't think he could beat me in the 1/4. His car is 1,700 miles away, or we would've tried already. GT350 is more road race, while the GT/A10 is a Stoplight/drag race setup. They each win in the area that they were designed for. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

GT350 is more road race, while the GT/A10 is a Stoplight/drag race setup. They each win in the area that they were designed for. 

Exactly.   Even though the GT350 is not designed for drag racing, there are always a couple of them running at the street legal drags where I participate.   It is fun to hear them run but they are sort of a fish out of water.  I look forward to seeing a 2020 GT500 at the strip.

I think it is too bad that the Bullitt is manual only.    Even with 20 more HP, they won't run with an A10.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...