Interesting Hackett Interview

Dear God, no there is no 4-door Mustang, and you can see the look of bewilderment when asked about it.  It was that stupid forum that generated that rumor. 

That forum is a terrible source of info. 

The V8 remains because it's also tied to their electrification.  I don't think many realize that the Hybrid Mustang and V8 Mustang are the same thing. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Well, Aviator should have been their big clue.  I still haven't seen many people picking up on just what a big deal the Aviator/Explorer Hybrid system is.  It's like the first EcoBoost engine.  

I'm making a lot of assumptions here but just reading the tea leaves, I think the hybrids are going to blow peoples mind. They just don't know it yet. If pricing is right, I could see a lot of folks moving toward hybrids in Ford's future.

I am assuming that the Aviator/Explorer/F150/Mustang will have somewhere between 30-50 mile battery only range. The performance of the Aviator and Mustang hybrids SHOULD be shocking. I see the F150 and Explorer being very competent but adding more efficiency to the equation. If price/performance/reliability stack up, I think folks will migrate over to the hybrids and get over the stigma what a hybrid was 20 years ago.

What I would love to find out is if they will have modes similar to what they have now, for battery assist. Will there be an all out performance mode to go with an all economy mode? 

That's the impressive thing about these Hybrids, their performance is software.  They can change their behavior for each application (or just change the personality of the car).  

But indeed, Ford has to train people to think very differently about Hybrids because right now people associate it with Volt, Prius or C-Max....boring slow cars. 

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says hybrids are the fulfillment of the Soros agenda to take my coal and open the borders!!!

Seriously though, I can imagine the huge benefits from a stop or low speeds that electric could apply.    I have noticed a lot of Fusions hybrids, you have to look, that's probably a good introduction. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Dear God, no there is no 4-door Mustang, and you can see the look of bewilderment when asked about it.  It was that stupid forum that generated that rumor. 

The V8 remains because it's also tied to their electrification.  I don't think many realize that the Hybrid Mustang and V8 Mustang are the same thing. 

Do we know if F-150 hybrid will use 5.0 V8? That's a big clue on whether Mustang hybrid will be V8 or V6 (or both!)

No, it's getting the 3.5L EB Gen 2, Mustang uses the 5.0L V8.  This hybrid motor is built into the transmission, it's completely modular.  I know it's being paired to the 3.3L, 2.7L EB, 3.0L EB, 3.5L EB, and 5.0L.  I should also point out I don't really see any indication that the Expedition and Navigator are getting Hybrids before 2023.  I know that keeps coming up but I still don't have evidence of it (same with Ranger).  I think much of this is dependent on next-gen platforms or major MCEs.  I don't have details on what Transit will be doing with Hybrids, I think that's also further out.  But Ford has their new Transit Connect 2.5L HEV/PHEV coming which is the other half of their Hybrid drivetrain strategy (+AV).

Specifically, here are the vehicles getting this  RWD 10-speed Hybrid.

Bronco: 2.7L EB

Mustang: 5.0L V8

F-150: 3.5L EB

Explorer: 3.3L V6

Aviator: 3.0L EB (PHEV)

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

You won't be able to buy either of those things in 2020, but announcements seem likely.

Sadly, everything feels further out the sooner you talk about them, and ultimately they will exist in less of a technological vacuum by the time they actually show up.  What sounds spectacular now I'm sure will be tempered by what the competition is also doing.  

Edited by Assimilator

17 hours ago, Assimilator said:

No, it's getting the 3.5L EB Gen 2, Mustang uses the 5.0L V8.  This hybrid motor is built into the transmission, it's completely modular.  I know it's being paired to the 3.3L, 2.7L EB, 3.0L EB, 3.5L EB, and 5.0L.  I should also point out I don't really see any indication that the Expedition and Navigator are getting Hybrids before 2023.  I know that keeps coming up but I still don't have evidence of it (same with Ranger).  I think much of this is dependent on next-gen platforms or major MCEs.  I don't have details on what Transit will be doing with Hybrids, I think that's also further out.  But Ford has their new Transit Connect 2.5L HEV/PHEV coming which is the other half of their Hybrid drivetrain strategy (+AV).

Specifically, here are the vehicles getting this  RWD 10-speed Hybrid.

Bronco: 2.7L EB

Mustang: 5.0L V8

F-150: 3.5L EB

Explorer: 3.3L V6

Aviator: 3.0L EB (PHEV)

I understand the hybrid motor is part of the 10 speed transmission design so it is modular to any engine that works with the 10 speed.

Hence my point that Ford can make several different hybrid Mustangs, not just 5.0 V8. We could have a 3.3 hybrid Mustang, or a 2.7 EB hybrid Mustang. But I generally agree with you that Ford will start with 5.0 hybrid in the Mustang.

Expedition and Navigator is largely based on the current F-150 so if you look at product timeline and cadence, it is basically the last product on the current model program cycle. It makes sense that hybrid for both will come after the next gen F-150 rolls out. Same idea as Edge/Nautilus which is the last of CD4 and won't see electrification until the next gen C2 based model arrives.

The Transit Connect PHEV will be the transverse engine program so it's really a different discussion. I think that drivetrain is also headed to Corsair and Escape and other C2 vehicles.

Edited by bzcat

I know I tend to repeat myself, but it's worth reinforcing.

The 2.5L I4 Atkinson engine is the foundation of all the new FWD/AWD Hybrids models.  The first products are...

2020 Escape (2.5L HEV or PHEV)  AWD available for HEV, PHEV FWD only

2020 Corsair (2.5L HEV or PHEV AWD). AWD is standard for PHEV and powered by a direct drive electric motor instead of the transmission, similar to Toyota but much more powerful.

The Maverick (CX430) is apparently not getting it, but the Transit Connect is as is the Compact Pickup and Crossover coming in 2023.  Presumably the next 2023 Edge/Nautilus will also get this tech, my information says that both are based on the "FWD Architecture", which people generally refer to as the C2 platform. 

Edited by Assimilator

On 12/10/2018 at 4:17 PM, Assimilator said:

Who says a 4-door Mustang would be called "Mustang"?, it was done before (ie: Fox cars of the 80s).