Spring rates

What size wheel combo and what tire are installed? Tires and wheel combo make HUGE differences on Flex. As a general rule of thumb, the bigger the wheel, the crappier it will ride. This is due to several factors *unrelated* to spring rate. First is sidewall height. Generally, lower side wall height reduces the ability of the tire to flex and absorb road force. Add to that, the bigger tires' compound is usually harder as well, further increasing road feel. Second, the big rims weigh more. This is referred to as unsprung weight. The higher the unsprung weight, the worse the ride quality. 

I understand all that you say, but it's very difficult to get any deflection of spring while at rest.  The parts guy told me there are 5 DIFFERENT part #'s that apply to my 2014 Flex and if a spring were needed I'd have to supply a VIN to get the correct one.  My tires are 235/60x18.  I was curious to know what the differences are for my vehicle and if there are softer/harder springs that were fitted to 2014 Flexes.  Specifically, what are the spring rates?   

Springs are usually affected by the engine weight, wheel weight and overall vehicle weight with options.   You're probably not going to find the actual spring rates.  If you want softer springs then I would see what is spec'd out for the base model with the lightest engine and wheels with no heavy options.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:01 PM, akirby said:

Springs are usually affected by the engine weight, wheel weight and overall vehicle weight with options.   You're probably not going to find the actual spring rates.  If you want softer springs then I would see what is spec'd out for the base model with the lightest engine and wheels with no heavy options.

To that end, since you will apparently need a vin to get different (softer) springs, I would find a base model 2014 flex with the same drive train you have (AWD/FWD). Copy the vin down and try those out. 

I’m kind of surprised your flex rides stiff. Ours and every other I’ve been in ride very soft. I’d maybe also drive said base model flex to see how the ride feels. 

I haven’t seen springs listed as being different with the tow package but it’s possible.  You could go to fordparts.com or tascaparts.com and look up the springs for your flex and see what’s in the description of each one (AWD, FWD, w/tow, w/o tow, etc.  Worth a shot.

We have a 2014 Flex SEL, FWD, tow package, ride is pretty firm as well.  I can't tell if it's the shitty OE tires (I think we have same tire size) or just a very firm suspension - possibly due to towing package?  Parents had a 2012 Taurus Limited FWD, that came with 19s.  That ride too was more 'Euro' but still not as stiff as the Flex.  We got the Flex for the long almost daily medical trips and after a while my dad actually preferred taking the 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer with well over 200k on it.  Yes the ride was way more bouncy due to stock suspension not being able to control the vehicle properly, but the bumps from our fabulous Illinois roads were markedly smoothed out.  Living in IL, F the Euro ride is all I can say...

Yes.  Don't know if it's the tow package that, IMHO, makes the ride much too firm and traversing bumps transfers a much too abrupt motion to us passengers inside.  Toyota has a much softer suspension across ALL vehicle lines than Ford.   I wish Ford relaxed the spring rates slightly.  I would say most people do not want to feel abrupt motions from relatively minor bumps.    I drove a crew cab F-150 and it was much, much more comfortable than our Flex.  

25 minutes ago, ford-boy said:

I drove a crew cab F-150 and it was much, much more comfortable than our Flex.  

A crew cab F150 has a MUCH longer wheelbase than your flex.    I am not sure what else you are comparing your Flex with but I suspect your Flex is perfectly normal.   Toyota has a reputation for floaty suspensions and less body control....particularly on the older Camrys.   The newer ones are firmer and handle better.    I haven't driven a Flex but I suspect it is a compromise between ride and nice body control.....although it might be firmer that you like.