New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Ovaltine

A new Thunderbird - "For All the Right Reasons"!

Although I know that the mixing of the words Ford, two-door, and sedans is now passe', I can STILL dream about a modern rendition/take on the old "Squarebird "Thunderbird design, can't I?!?

My first car at the age of 16 was a '72 T-Bird with a 429 4bbl w/dual exhaust.   I sure would like to be able to purchase a modern/safe version of a similar car someday!   The problem with the previous attempt at retro with the T-Bird was the two-seater concept - IMHO.  It just wasn't convenient enough.  A kicka** styled new car that can hold (at least) 4 comfortably would be bound to appeal to a larger segment than that one did.

Methinks that a stretched S550/Mustang chassis would do the trick, right? 

Again - I know I'm just dreamin', but it's a nice one.  😉

-Ovaltine

10211132-1959-ford-thunderbird-std-c.jpg

59-Thunderbird1.jpg

81b7sCd7f9L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Ovaltine

I would love a new Thunderbird but Ford couldn't sell more than 6,000 per year.

A shortened 2 seat Mustang with a 500HP 3.5EB, seven or eight speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and retractable hardtop would make a pretty sweet Thunderbird.

I'm old enough to remember how disappointed we all were when the Squarebird was introduced.  It may have sold like hot cakes, but what a letdown from the original two-seat Thunderbird.   The original T-Bird was cool.  The Squarebird was not.  

I doubt it will ever happen, but I love to see a new T-Bird introduced.  If you're speaking four-seaters, I'm fan of the '61-'63 Bullet Bird, a beautifully styled car.

10 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I'm old enough to remember how disappointed we all were when the Squarebird was introduced.  It may have sold like hot cakes, but what a letdown from the original two-seat Thunderbird.   The original T-Bird was cool.  The Squarebird was not.  

I doubt it will ever happen, but I love to see a new T-Bird introduced.  If you're speaking four-seaters, I'm fan of the '61-'63 Bullet Bird, a beautifully styled car.

Fair enough on which 4-seat model to emulate - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  😉

But the last 2-seat model kind of had that early 60's streamlined vibe, mixed with the '55-57 footprint, so that would kind of be a "been there, done that" approach.

Having NOT lived through the 1st Gen 'Birds, I picked the Squarebirds as the inspiration, due to the noticeable bada** vibe they put out - ala' the Gangsta' vibe that the Chrysler 300 reboot initially purveyed.  It was that vibe that SOLD that original 300 reboot, to be sure - IMHO.

-Ovaltine

1 hour ago, Ovaltine said:

Fair enough on which 4-seat model to emulate - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  😉

But the last 2-seat model kind of had that early 60's streamlined vibe, mixed with the '55-57 footprint, so that would kind of be a "been there, done that" approach.

Having NOT lived through the 1st Gen 'Birds, I picked the Squarebirds as the inspiration, due to the noticeable bada** vibe they put out - ala' the Gangsta' vibe that the Chrysler 300 reboot initially purveyed.  It was that vibe that SOLD that original 300 reboot, to be sure - IMHO.

-Ovaltine

I’ve told this story before.  I lived in Dearborn when I was a kid and my dad was a engineer who worked at Ford.  He was given a “company car” to drive back-and-forth to work in.  Back in the summer of 1957, he brought home a two-seat T-Bird for the weekend.  EVERYBODY on the block came by for a look and for a test drive.  Even the few GM and Chrysler engineers in the area came by for a look.  This car, especially with the top down, was a sensation.  Briefly, for one weekend, I was the coolest kid on the block.