Fading Ford logo emblems on vehicles...

24 minutes ago, tbone said:

Slvrsvt, I understand your point of view, but if my name was on the badge I would care. That’s just me. 

So my 10 year old Flex's Ford badge up front has chips out of the blue from road debris.  Should Ford fix that because the paint didn't stay on to keep it blue?

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

So my 10 year old Flex's Ford badge up front has chips out of the blue from road debris.  Should Ford fix that because the paint didn't stay on to keep it blue?

Ridiculous comment and not even remotely related to this thread.  No, that’s wear and tear (of course you know this, you just feel the need to take the side of Ford since this is a Ford forum and you are a fan boy).  The discussion is regarding a lack of quality of the logo/emblem that bears the company name and is affixed to vehicles.  It’s real and an epidemic sort of like the DRL burnout on GM trucks.  And btw, none of my 3 Fords have a peeling or faded oval but they have always been garage kept and waxed religiously.  

• Like 1

I think the point is while it is absolutely Ford’s responsibility it doesn’t seem to be a widespread consistent problem so it’s likely that a supplier used subpar materials or workmanship as opposed to Ford specing cheap parts.   There is a difference as to what Ford needs to do about it even though Ford is ultimately on the hook for it to the consumer.

Around here you can't hardly find a 10 year Ford where the oval is still blue. It's extremely common. My guess is that they switched suppliers (for whatever reason, but probably a $$$ issue). What's shocking is that it's gone on for long as it has. There were skads of 05-08 F series running around with faded out ovals in 2014 when Ford was putting them on new Edges. Now those 2014s are faded out. I'm not even sure the problem is fixed on '18s or if they're just not old enough yet. It should be an extremely easy problem to fix and you know Ford has been aware of it for at least a decade now.

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

No, because that is normal wear  and not a defective product. I know you really don’t believe that is a comparable example.  

• Like 1

It seems to hit hardest on the '06 - '09 Gillette-grille products (Fusion / Edge / Flex / Dave Taurus) and F-Series of similar vintage. 

My '08 Fusion had a front grille logo that lacked any blue paint since about 2014. I cut a vinyl decal that fills in the portions of the badge that were blue with a matte black. Over the "black chrome" grille, it looks pretty good. 

I have a friend who is in "trustmark design" with Ford. The problem is so well known that when a mutual friend picked up a used Edge, he mailed him a new grille emblem without so much as asking if he needed it. 

34 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

It seems to hit hardest on the '06 - '09 Gillette-grille products (Fusion / Edge / Flex / Dave Taurus) and F-Series of similar vintage. 

My '08 Fusion had a front grille logo that lacked any blue paint since about 2014. I cut a vinyl decal that fills in the portions of the badge that were blue with a matte black. Over the "black chrome" grille, it looks pretty good. 

I have a friend who is in "trustmark design" with Ford. The problem is so well known that when a mutual friend picked up a used Edge, he mailed him a new grille emblem without so much as asking if he needed it. 

So have they fixed the problem for good now or is it still happening?

On 12/7/2018 at 5:43 PM, 02MustangGT said:

Ridiculous comment and not even remotely related to this thread.  No, that’s wear and tear (of course you know this, you just feel the need to take the side of Ford since this is a Ford forum and you are a fan boy).  The discussion is regarding a lack of quality of the logo/emblem that bears the company name and is affixed to vehicles.  It’s real and an epidemic sort of like the DRL burnout on GM trucks.  And btw, none of my 3 Fords have a peeling or faded oval but they have always been garage kept and waxed religiously.  

Lol really?

It's a bad look for sure, but my point is, Ford can't in perpetuity just replace things because they wear out.  That's what I was getting at.

I see a lot of BMWs with the same issues.

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

It happened on my Focus too. I wasn't going to worry about it but was pleased it was replaced when Belle Tire smashed the front end. 

2 hours ago, 92LX302 said:

Could be worse. 

Like my 79. 

IMG_20181207_105326.jpg

That grill above - back in '78 (actually late '77 calendar year) - was the initial salvo in the "Big-Rig-Look Grill War" that still rages to this day, 40+ years later!  ?

wv7926-p.jpg

Edited by Ovaltine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ovaltine said:

That grill above - back in '78 (actually late '77 calendar year) - was the initial salvo in the "Big-Rig-Look Grill War" that still rages to this day, 40+ years later!  ?

That’s my 2nd favorite model.  The ‘77 is my favorite, followed by 78-79 and 73-76.

FD15A3AA-043A-4559-A553-5ADE917499DD.jpeg

• Like 4