Fading Ford logo emblems on vehicles...

Hey - just a show of hands here, but how many other people on here are seeing tons of Ford trucks and Edges running around with the messed up / faded front and rear logo emblems?

This guy's video does a decent job of pointing out the problem, and a suggestion for a quick fix for those that don't want to spring for a new logo.

See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1UbSPmxYrg 

As one person in his comments states - a $65k Lariat they bought shouldn't have emblems doing this kind of stuff.

Does anyone on here know if this problem has be rectified on the latest models?  Just curious.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I have seen several trucks with this issue, and I have always thought that it shouldn’t be happening as well on such expensive vehicles. I see it as a poor reflection on the company bearing the name plate, and felt Ford should have replaced them. It only seemed to affect a few model years, as there are many much older vehicles where the emblems look fine, and I haven’t really seen it on the newermodels.  It must’ve had something to do with the manufacturing process during that time.

Yep, very common problem on anything made between about '06-'14ish. Basically anything with the giant oval. I think it's related to UV exposure. Work trucks that sit outside all the time are always the worst. Private vehicles that spend more time in garages, parking garages, and carefully parked in the shade seem to retain the blue color much better.

It's very much like the spark plugs and ejection issue on the early 2v mod motors. Ford knew how to make successful versions of both for decades until one day they couldn't....

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

14 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Yep, very common problem on anything made between about '06-'14ish. Basically anything with the giant oval. I think it's related to UV exposure. Work trucks that sit outside all the time are always the worst. Private vehicles that spend more time in garages, parking garages, and carefully parked in the shade seem to retain the blue color much better.

My truck sits outside all the time, and its Blue Ovals haven't faded, but I've seen quite a few F-150s with faded, or even worse, partially faded, Blue Ovals. It could still be UV damage, but it doesn't seem to be very uniform.

15 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I literally laughed out loud @silvrsvt‘s comment.  Not a Ford issue?  Wtf are you talking about.  This is the Ford oval and it is placed on Ford vehicles.  Ford decides which parts suppliers to use and has approval of the final product.  

Exactly!  I had the same reaction!  What is silvrsvt thinking?  If it is a Ford contractor then it is a Ford problem!  And the logo of all things- how embarrassing!   Imagine the NY Yankees taking the field on opening day with ratty faded uniforms and logos, then a press release that says "its not our fault, the laundry service didn't show up..."

My Wife's BMW had even worse logo issues - and it is garage kept.  I ended up replacing it with a knock-off from Amazon that superficially looks like the real thing.  The actual BMW replacement logo was insanely priced.  The difference is BMW can get away with something like this - because they are BMW and rational explanations are out the door.  Ford on the other had better has to pay attention to these details.

My 2008 Explorer - garage kept along side of the BMW has perfect looking logos - so this is a recent FORD problem.

Edited by Kev-Mo

44 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I literally laughed out loud @silvrsvt‘s comment.  Not a Ford issue?  Wtf are you talking about.  This is the Ford oval and it is placed on Ford vehicles.  Ford decides which parts suppliers to use and has approval of the final product.  

Ford puts out a request for badges to be made from a subcontractor with specs. If that subcontractor used say D grade materials when Ford specified B or better grade (just using grades as an abiraty ranking) and they fail in 3-4 years or when even the warrenty is up, how is Ford excatly on the hook for that? Ford would take note and use a different subcontractor for any units bought after that. Ford gets lots of defective items from subcontractors. 

Its not like these things were failing within a year or two of purchase of the vehicle. IMO Ford doesn't really give a shit when things fail out of warrenty period. 

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Yes, this does make it Ford’s problem regardless. 

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford puts out a request for badges to be made from a subcontractor with specs. If that subcontractor used say D grade materials when Ford specified B or better grade (just using grades as an abiraty ranking) and they fail in 3-4 years or when even the warrenty is up, how is Ford excatly on the hook for that? Ford would take note and use a different subcontractor for any units bought after that. Ford gets lots of defective items from subcontractors. 

Its not like these things were failing within a year or two of purchase of the vehicle. IMO Ford doesn't really give a shit when things fail out of warrenty period. 

Isn’t their current slogan “Built Ford Proud?”  Shitty logos with your name on them really doesn’t convey that message. If I were Ford, I would consider at least offering the customer new logos on late model vehicles if the vehicle came in for service, even if it was out of warranty.  

12 minutes ago, tbone said:

Isn’t their current slogan “Built Ford Proud?”  Shitty logos with your name on them really doesn’t convey that message. If I were Ford, I would consider at least offering the customer new logos on late model vehicles if the vehicle came in for service, even if it was out of warranty.  

And how pedantic is it? Sounds like outrage just to be outraged. How wide spread is it? I see it on older F-150s and the Edge-both well out of warrenty. Is ford supposed to give a flying shit about something that isn't even covered under warrenty? 

If a customer had such a hardon about it, the dealership could take care of it, if they wanted to keep them happy.