JL Wrangler scores 1 star in Euro NCAP

bzcat

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

How do you design a *brand new* vehicle and score 1 star in any published crash tests? :headscratch:

Would have been 2 stars if JL had come with Automatic Emergency Braking. But 2 stars is still pretty pathetic.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/jeep/wrangler/34192

The NCAP is not a crash test, but instead a variety of safety tests for those inside AND outside the car, some of which include crash tests.

Mostly, they dinged the Wrangler for poor pedestrian protection and lack of driver safety assist features as compared to other new cars.

Also, it does come with Automatic Emergency Braking, but only in NAFTA regions right now.  It's coming to Euro later next year.

Either way, poor showing.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The NCAP is not a crash test, but instead a variety of safety tests for those inside AND outside the car, some of which include crash tests.

Mostly, they dinged the Wrangler for poor pedestrian protection and lack of driver safety assist features as compared to other new cars.

Also, it does come with Automatic Emergency Braking, but only in NAFTA regions right now.  It's coming to Euro later next year.

Here's good pedestrian protection - don't walk in the road.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, tbone said:

You read my mind.  That would be a low priority feature on my list of desired features. 

I was headed home from work last week, and on a 6 lane road (3 each side with a turn lane in the middle), the right lane was blocked by a broken down car, nowhere near a crosswalk, I was in the middle lane, and there was a car in front of me stopped in line with the broken down car, but I could see he was stopped to allow is mother and her kid (and some other person) to cross the road.  A car came along in the left lane, and didn't see the people, who just walked right out in front of this car.  Luckily he was able to slam on the brakes, tires screeching and stop in time, and the lady was yelling at the guy in the car!  Like don't walk in the middle of the road?!

--

Anyway, not good for Wrangler.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

It's primarily a crash test so really no need to play semantics word games. Looks at the link I provided... JL has really poor crash protection for driver and front passenger - something that should not happen in a clean sheet design. The only other vehicles getting 1 or 2 stars are either ancient or really cheap 3rd world deathtraps.

In the frontal offset test, it scored 3.9 out of 8. The IIHS would have rated it poor.

Edited by bzcat

IIHS rates the 2017 Wrangler Good in Small and Moderate Overlap.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2017

However, Escape ranks Poor by IIHS because of the Small Overlap test while aces NHTSA and EuroNCAP.  

You see see how hard it is to engineer for all of these systems.

Ford is not the most pro-active or innovative safety engineers in the world, but they do seem to correct deficiencies.  

Edited by Assimilator

11 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

IIHS rates the 2017 Wrangler Good in Small and Moderate Overlap.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2017

However, Escape ranks Poor by IIHS because of the Small Overlap test while aces NHTSA and EuroNCAP.  

You see see how hard it is to engineer for all of these systems.  

To be fair, that's the last generation of the Wrangler (we wouldn't want you being accused of "playing semantics word games" ) . < Just ribbing you @bzcat  ? >

But you also bring up a very valid point.  What one test puts emphasis on, another does not and the scoring gets a bit out of whack.

Admittedly, I'm curious to see how these overseas scores compare to the eventual score it gets stateside and if there are some measures FCA will take to improve them should they end up poor as well.

Edited by Anthony

I get that it's cool to rag on jeeps,  but Government crash tests and regs are bogus. 

A 1-star score makes this thing sound like a death trap, but I'm sure it's leap years safer than anything produced 10, or 15 years ago...

It would be nice too, if we weren't forced into paying for 30 extra airbags or automatic breaking just because manufacturers felt compelled to obtain the latest 5-star rating.

9 minutes ago, probowler said:

It would be nice too, if we weren't forced into paying for 30 extra airbags or automatic breaking just because manufacturers felt compelled to obtain the latest 5-star rating.

Well they are required or being required because they save peoples lives and dramatically reduce injures in accidents, in the case of AEB or lane keeping systems prevent the accident from happening altogether. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457516304006

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/gm-front-crash-prevention-systems-cut-police-reported-crashes

• Like 1

Not so long ago, Mustang scored 2 stars on Euro NCAP test, I think it went to 2 stars after tests earlier this year.

American engineers mailed in their design changes for Euro NCAP and got hammered for it.

One thing to remember with NCAP, the keep making the rules tougher to get 5 stars, so 5 star ratings from three or four years ago could be a 3 star now...

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Well they are required or being required because they save peoples lives and dramatically reduce injures in accidents, in the case of AEB or lane keeping systems prevent the accident from happening altogether. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457516304006

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/gm-front-crash-prevention-systems-cut-police-reported-crashes

Which is all fine and dandy, but it' shouldn't be the governments job to do that. If Subaru or Mercedes want to sell cars based on safety, more power to them, but it shouldn't be blanket mandated by G-men.

I'm not denying the effectiveness of these technologies, just simply stating that it should be up to us as the consumer whether or not we want these technologies.

4 hours ago, probowler said:

Which is all fine and dandy, but it' shouldn't be the governments job to do that. If Subaru or Mercedes want to sell cars based on safety, more power to them, but it shouldn't be blanket mandated by G-men.

I'm not denying the effectiveness of these technologies, just simply stating that it should be up to us as the consumer whether or not we want these technologies.

But you benefit from others having the technology.

You hit somebody with 30 airbags, they survive, insurance covers their medical bills and pain and suffering and you're hunky dory.

You hit somebody with no airbags, they die, you're convicted of vehicular homicide and spend 5 years in jail.

I agree they go too far in a lot of cases but airbags aren't one of those in my book.

4 hours ago, probowler said:

Consumers do want safety systems like AEB, LKA, etc. And consumer groups have recommended them for years. But many automakers have been dragging their feet in terms of making these features available across their vehicle lineups. Some automakers still only offer them in expensive options packages that have non-safety related stuff.

I agree with you probowler sir that it shouldn't be the government's job. Automakers need to be proactive. A good start is the agreement that 20 automakers made in 2016 for standard AEB on almost all light vehicles by 2022. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/u-s-dot-and-iihs-announce-historic-commitment-of-20-automakers-to-make-automatic-emergency-braking-standard-on-new-vehicles

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Consumers do want safety systems like AEB, LKA, etc. And consumer groups have recommended them for years. But many automakers have been dragging their feet in terms of making these features available across their vehicle lineups. Some automakers still only offer them in expensive options packages that have non-safety related stuff.

Because they add cost to products that cut back on profitibitly of them. Auto makers aren't going to add them for free and people will bitch/moan about paying another $2500 or so for them.

14 hours ago, probowler said:

I get that it's cool to rag on jeeps,  but Government crash tests and regs are bogus. 

A 1-star score makes this thing sound like a death trap, but I'm sure it's leap years safer than anything produced 10, or 15 years ago...

You know, you can actually look up what other vehicles got a 1 star NCAP score in 2018. It's in the link I provided in the first post. Hint, there is none. Something brand new shouldn't get 1 star. Jeep Compass received 5 star last year so it's not like FCA doesn't know what it is doing... I think they just choose to mail it in.

FCA also has the honor of receiving a 0 star this year - Fiat Panda received a minor update this year and was tested... and received a ZERO star. To be fair, the car is several years old and very cheap. Wrangler is brand new and very expensive... there is no excuses.

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, snooter said:

I doubt ant heep loyalist cares about some asian looking ranger crash rating let alone some commie euro crash test organization that dont like heeps in the first place ....yea, who cares...

When you're ignored the first time, you should take that as a hint to go troll elsewhere.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, snooter said:

I doubt ant heep loyalist cares about some asian looking ranger crash rating let alone some commie euro crash test organization that dont like heeps in the first place ....yea, who cares...

You could have worded this much better to get a valid, informed response.