2020 Explorer Interior Pics

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Comments on the front end-the grill doesn't bother me too much-its far from perfect, but IMO it doesn't really make the Explorer ugly. I'm not a huge fan of the Edge grill either-but it falls into the same thing-its not ugly, but nots handsome either.

The front end on the 2011 Explorer was the weakest part of the new design it had IMO. It was "fixed" with the refresh, but also the styling retograded to a point to-it looked more like the 02-10 Explorer.

What I think is happening is Ford is trying to evovle its styling and might be seperating its products into two catagories-the Escape/Edge/Explorer will have a "softer" look to them (going by the grill) to keep the majority of the car buy public interested in them, while the Bronco and Maverick are more butchy looking, which appeals more to male buyers or people who would be attracted to certian Jeep products. 

In the end-"fixing" the front end of the Explorer is simple as its next refresh, if the grill causes that much heartburn with the buying public.

At least its not the HD Silverado LOL

It may look better in person, but I always hated that look on the Edge too, so I don't get why they did it again here.  I like the new Edge front end, I think it looks a lot better than the outgoing model.

Why in gods name did they put the drivetrain controls where they did, needlessly taking up all that space!?!?!  Now it ensures vertical cupholders which blows for two front riders, the cellphones and whatnot will go in the center storage compartment except that's where you're putting other stuff (like on the go food).  It's like they design these things for one person and don't pack two people in there for more than 20 minute ride.

Put your terminally sick parent up front, stop to get McDonald's or something, and keep your sleeve - that you use to open doors to prevent germ transfer - from rubbing over their cub lid as you reach for your drink...but the drivetrain controls are RIGHT there, so that's great!  Now put the fries somewhere...whoops, they're on top of your cellphones now...but the drivetrain controls are RIGHT there, so that's great!

Also kudos on having the right leg plastered up against some hot unforgiving plastic, I'm sure that will be uber comfortable on any real trip.

Very disappointed... :(

1 hour ago, chucky2 said:

Also kudos on having the right leg plastered up against some hot unforgiving plastic, I'm sure that will be uber comfortable on any real trip.

I also noticed that. The center stack just keeps getting bigger on everything it seems. Meanwhile the leg space keeps getting more cramped.

I know the column shift and 50/50 split buckets on our 07 Town Car is so 1980s, but dang that thing is comfy on long trips!  I'd really like to see that arrangement reappear in at least the bottom trim of few models beyond XL F-series. Buckets/console/floor shift for those who want it on the pricier trims but a good old split bench/open center/column shift on the base models for those who just want the drivers compartment more open.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

30 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wow that looks amazing. Why did ours get watered down?

They didn't think the market in the North American Market would pay it.  I mean our Edge still is watered down to the Euro version (No Heated Windshield, Power folding mirrors, Fully digital IP) Would consumers pay $1000 for those options? Canada/Midwest/East might pay for the fully heated windshield but the vast majority of buyers wouldn't or even if they would few dealers won't stock units with those options and use the price advantage to talk a customer out from buying it. This is the reason Ford is also doing the limited stand alone options -- it increases ATP's, makes them easier to build and allows for auctions to get top dollar when they are sold off lease.

28 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

They didn't think the market in the North American Market would pay it.  I mean our Edge still is watered down to the Euro version (No Heated Windshield, Power folding mirrors, Fully digital IP) Would consumers pay $1000 for those options? Canada/Midwest/East might pay for the fully heated windshield but the vast majority of buyers wouldn't or even if they would few dealers won't stock units with those options and use the price advantage to talk a customer out from buying it. This is the reason Ford is also doing the limited stand alone options -- it increases ATP's, makes them easier to build and allows for auctions to get top dollar when they are sold off lease.

Watered down on options is one thing, but he’s referring to how it looks. I’m sure it cost the same to make the edge look like that compared to what we got here. Keep all the options the exact same and just give me the looks of the China version 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I also noticed that. The center stack just keeps getting bigger on everything it seems. Meanwhile the leg space keeps getting more cramped.

Uh because of infotament systems-a 4-5 Horizational inch screen is best you can do with the current landscape and why your seeing the stuck on top of dash units for larger ones. 

I don't think leg room is going to be bad as you think it is. 

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Uh because of infotament systems-a 4-5 Horizational inch screen is best you can do with the current landscape and why your seeing the stuck on top of dash units for larger ones. 

I don't think leg room is going to be bad as you think it is. 

I'll reserve final judgement until I actually sit in one. But it really comes down to having a full length center console at all. The leg area is obviously so much roomier when there's no divider at all between driver and passenger side.

That's why I was saying it'd be nice to see a simple split bench without a full length console on the base trims. As you say, there's still room for a screen if you tack it onto the top of the dash.

14 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I'll reserve final judgement until I actually sit in one. But it really comes down to having a full length center console at all. The leg area is obviously so much roomier when there's no divider at all between driver and passenger side.

That's why I was saying it'd be nice to see a simple split bench without a full length console on the base trims. As you say, there's still room for a screen if you tack it onto the top of the dash.

I'm trying to figure out what product outside of maybe a panther or truck, that doesn't have a center console on it :headscratch:

I know my dad's 98 Ranger has a center cosole, but it also has a stick in it.

I agree the shifter and drive condition knobs on the center console seem to take up to much room especially considering the driving condition knob i have to think rarely gets used.  Our 2018 Mustang uses a toggle switch, which I like, though I rarely use it. 

As to places to use the phone, is that slot that is in front of and connected to the cup holders a for a cell phone? If its wide enough that would be a good spot - though if not designed right drink spills could be a problem. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm trying to figure out what product outside of maybe a panther or truck, that doesn't have a center console on it :headscratch:

I know my dad's 98 Ranger has a center cosole, but it also has a stick in it.

XL and XLT F-series don't have one currently. I haven't looked at Ranger or base-trim Expedition but they would be the next most obvious candidates. While not common in Explorer's segment, I think it could work and find buyers on the base trim.

I actually know a guy who had to search long and hard to find a base trim Excursion so that it had the front bench instead of buckets/console. They had 7 kids and needed all 9 seatbelts!

2 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I’ve driven a Focus, Escape, Edge, MkX and 2 Fusions all with center consoles and not once has my right leg felt cramped by the console.

This must be some personal thing with the way you position your right leg.  I don’t think it’s a vehicle problem.