2020 Explorer Interior Pics

46 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I wrote "electrified" for that very reason - that could mean hybrid, PIH, BEV, or... maybe mild hybrid? They're the ones that made the "big" announcement, it's on them to live up to their own hype.

I don’t think a “mild hybrid” with auto stop/start qualifies as “electrified” since it doesn’t have a separate battery pack.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

That seems stupid and short sighted for Maverick to not get one.

Like I mentioned earlier, it all depends on ROI. Ford has made it painfully obvious they are more than willing to sacrifice volume for the sake of that magical 10% margin they’re looking for across the board. 

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Like I mentioned earlier, it all depends on ROI. Ford has made it painfully obvious they are more than willing to sacrifice volume for the sake of that magical 10% margin they’re looking for across the board. 

But hybrids should command higher ATPs and theoretically higher profit margin.

11 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So they can find it for Escape, but not for Maverick?

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Still need to sell a certain number to break even before the profits start. Not sure if the segment the Maverick will sit in can deliver that kind of volume for a hybrid. 

That number would be lower since it shares the same platform/powertrain-its not like the Maverick will be all that much different, outside of the styling and most likely AWD standard.

Explorer looks amazing to me, inside and out...at least for a Ford.  But I fear it's not going to be what most people are looking for in a family utility.  I hope I"m wrong.

The proportions and engineering are extraordinary for this segment.

The fascia has a very distinctive character, I think people will get over it once they see the full product and how that grille works with the architecture of the front fascia.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

The proportions and engineering are extraordinary for this segment.

They shouldn't be. A coworker of mine just blew $48k on nicely optioned Traverse. Shopped and shopped and that's the best deal he could find. Its a nice vehicle, but $48k is way too rich for a fwd V6 people mover from an everyday brand. I think Ford's CD6 is much more in line with the amount of refinement and engineering that kind of money should command. What I'm not sure of is if the average crossover buyer of 2021 will appreciate or even understand the benefits of Ford's far superior CD6 platform and powertrain.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed was the guys cell phone stuck in the cup holder slot. If the guy testing the vehicle uses it like that then to me there is a design problem.  Looks like there is a slot right in front of that spot but not big enough to hold a larger smart phone and cover.  

I will reserve final judgement when I see near production versions or get inside one.  I like some of the initial design and glad they are going in a slightly different direction than the past 5 years of Ford products. 

11 minutes ago, kyle said:

One thing I noticed was the guys cell phone stuck in the cup holder slot. If the guy testing the vehicle uses it like that then to me there is a design problem.  Looks like there is a slot right in front of that spot but not big enough to hold a larger smart phone and cover.  

I will reserve final judgement when I see near production versions or get inside one.  I like some of the initial design and glad they are going in a slightly different direction than the past 5 years of Ford products. 

You're telling me you've never quickly thrown something somewhere where it wasn't necessarily meant to go?

Ford still has the preference for "Urban Toughness" so they could certainly have gone much further down the path toward an upscale premium look like Mazda or Land Rover, but obviously saved that for Lincoln.

As for Traverse vs Explorer, Explorer is going to be much more expensive, I would expect $60K for the best configuration.  Traverse is still much bigger than Explorer, it's definitely the practical choice.  

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That grille looks horrible.

Agree, that's my biggest nit on the looks. I hope the finished showroom product looks better in the flesh/metal, but with regard to the photos, the grill is a fail for me. As I wrote previously, it appears to hew to the appearance of the previous gen Edge, which was thankfully abandoned to some extent on the Edge refresh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t think a “mild hybrid” with auto stop/start qualifies as “electrified” since it doesn’t have a separate battery pack.

Agree, which circles back to whether or not Ford intend to live up to their announcement (all future CUV's and SUV's will be electrified) or not. 

Ford hasn't declared that all of its vehicles will be electrified.  Most of them will however, the Ranger and Maverick seem to be the few exceptions.  Maverick is getting standard AWD, it's basically a rugged version of the Escape so I believe they see Escape as the Hybrid choice.   Ranger is just old, it will probably revisit the Hybrids around 2023.  Ford's FWD Hybrid is a 2.5L Atkinson Cycle I4, there is an AWD version available.  The PHEV 2.5L will be in Escape and Corsair, but only the Corsair gets AWD and it's standard.  It actually uses a direct drive motor on the rear wheels instead of a driveshaft (The battery and charger are in the way).  Toyota is using a similar design, even Prius just picked it up, but Lincoln's will be much more powerful.  

Edge and Nautilus are 4 years away from Hybrids, they will definitely be the super tardy ones.  

Edited by Assimilator

Comments on the front end-the grill doesn't bother me too much-its far from perfect, but IMO it doesn't really make the Explorer ugly. I'm not a huge fan of the Edge grill either-but it falls into the same thing-its not ugly, but nots handsome either.

The front end on the 2011 Explorer was the weakest part of the new design it had IMO. It was "fixed" with the refresh, but also the styling retograded to a point to-it looked more like the 02-10 Explorer.

What I think is happening is Ford is trying to evovle its styling and might be seperating its products into two catagories-the Escape/Edge/Explorer will have a "softer" look to them (going by the grill) to keep the majority of the car buy public interested in them, while the Bronco and Maverick are more butchy looking, which appeals more to male buyers or people who would be attracted to certian Jeep products. 

In the end-"fixing" the front end of the Explorer is simple as its next refresh, if the grill causes that much heartburn with the buying public.

At least its not the HD Silverado LOL