2020 Explorer Interior Pics

Looking at the nav system in the Explorer.  The pictures were taken right here (just .4 miles from the Ford Motor Company Vehicle Operations General Office):  

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//17600-17642+Oakwood+Blvd,+Dearborn,+MI+48124/@42.2903163,-83.2077327,18z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x883b34354bee33bb:0x67743fb2fde98cb8!2m2!1d-83.2074699!2d42.2901755!3e0

My guess is right at the Marathon gas station.

Edited by Anthony

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Looking at the nav system in the Explorer.  The pictures were taken right here (just .4 miles from the Ford Motor Company Vehicle Operations General Office):  

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//17600-17642+Oakwood+Blvd,+Dearborn,+MI+48124/@42.2903163,-83.2077327,18z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x883b34354bee33bb:0x67743fb2fde98cb8!2m2!1d-83.2074699!2d42.2901755!3e0

The most certainly on Oakwood. You can see DFCU behind them.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

They are taken in a few places down Oakwood, the front photo is down by the Dearborn Inn area by all the PDC buildings (Black streetlight poles) the Back end photo with the running light out is taken by Beaumont Oakwood (barrels and arrow from all the Utility construction on Oakwood) and the interior were taken by the Oakwood Bar/S*** gas station (serious this is one of the worst gas stations there is). Probably sitting in Traffic from the Signal at Southfield and Oakwood.

Edited by jasonj80

29 minutes ago, Dlcorbett said:

The trim shown looks like a limited or high lvl xlt.  It reminds me of the expy ltd stone interior.  The plat interiors use way different interiors on the current models so i would expect the same for the new one.

Except this is the platinum. You can see the platinum badge on the rear of the car.2020-ford-explorer-1.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Yes, I think the 10" vertical screen and whatever version of SYNC the Chinese Kuga is running will be rolled out to the US next year. Obviously on all new models, it will be better integrated... the Kuga situation is weird because Ford is really desperate to stop the sales free fall in China so they rushed this out to market with an retrofit.

Thats an interesting way to fill the gap from the CD player on the Escape/Kuga-

I'm in the U625 (explorer) and U611 aviator VP units almost every week to do some testing. Not really a fan of the explorer design honestly but love the aviator. Something cool about the explorer will be the top end cluster, it's fully digital like the Lincoln ones. Also the whole UI changes depending on the drive mode selected

Also please note since these units are in dearborn they are either VP and M1 prototypes. From what I've experienced these prototype units are garbo so many things wrong with them lol.. The TT units are rolling off the line in Chicago now. I expect whatever to be shown in the Detroit auto show to be a TT unit that will be basically representative of a production unit

The thing that strikes me about the Explorer is that they cut some corners I didn't expect to be cut on what's going to be a fairly expensive and cutting edge vehicle.  Why they couldn't do full LED taillights is just beyond me, the fixtures they put on there look like they came from a Subaru.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I find the temperature controls interesting. Are they toggles or touch sensitive? The heat/cool arrows seem so close together. 

Overall, I’m not a fan of the interior. However, better pictures may tell a different story. The the taillights, they remind me of the bulging lights Toyota’s have on their SUV/Cuv lineup. 

The temperature controls are like toggles, a design I don't particularly like from a distance but I'll have to try them out to understand why they go this route.  I think Ford ergonomics likes the ideas of different interface methods for each type of frequently used control.  Twist, toggle, or press.  

Hmmm...no, sir, I don't like it. 

I'm holding onto a bit of hope for when I see this finalized and in the flesh, but so far I'm pretty let down. The Aviator is just completely great execution of the things Lincoln wanted to do with their vehicle while this....isn't. The front has a derpy face, the sides are poorly executed, and the center stack looks like GM designed it. Woof.

12 hours ago, averagengineer said:

I'm in the U625 (explorer) and U611 aviator VP units almost every week to do some testing. Not really a fan of the explorer design honestly but love the aviator. Something cool about the explorer will be the top end cluster, it's fully digital like the Lincoln ones. Also the whole UI changes depending on the drive mode selected

Thank you for sharing, I hope you will stick around and share info with us as you are able to and it's appropriate to do so. Thank you too for your work at Ford.

17 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Not all utilities are getting HEVs however, that includes the CX430 (Maverick).  

What do you make of that in light of what was announced previously (all CUV's and SUV's will be electrified in some manner)? Might Ford be able to install mild hybrid tech (stop/start) on CX430 and claim to meet its own mandate?

19 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

What do you make of that in light of what was announced previously (all CUV's and SUV's will be electrified in some manner)? Might Ford be able to install mild hybrid tech (stop/start) on CX430 and claim to meet its own mandate?

I'm sure they will be able to, I'm just not sure they will want to depending on what kind of ROI they can get out of it. 

17 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Explorer is also getting a 3.3L V6 HEV for the US market.

Not all utilities are getting HEVs however, that includes the CX430 (Maverick).  

That seems stupid and short sighted for Maverick to not get one.

16 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Ahh, great catch!  That's what I was expecting to see in Platinum as standard.  

It looks very high up, no?

12 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The thing that strikes me about the Explorer is that they cut some corners I didn't expect to be cut on what's going to be a fairly expensive and cutting edge vehicle.  Why they couldn't do full LED taillights is just beyond me, the fixtures they put on there look like they came from a Subaru.  

Yeah, that looks bad to not get full LEDs.

They didn't say they would be doing "hybrids" - I think they specifically said "electrified" (although I could be wrong about that).

If they're not going to offer at least a regular hybrid of every non-commercial vehicle then they must have changed the plan at some point.

Also, that screen placement is hideous between the HVAC vents. That's barely any better than if someone glued an iPod to a late-90s explorer dash.

I'm looking at either Bronco or Explorer as a new family hauler in about 4 years but I don't know if I can get over that dash. I hope they do a better job of integrating the screen on the Bronco.