2020 Silverado HD

fuzzymoomoo

4 hours ago, twintornados said:

Bottom line is while we here at Blue Oval forums may not like it and think it is hideous...the Chevrolet faithful will snap it up with gusto... 

Is there a Gold Bowtie forum we can go to and spy on what the Chevy faithful are saying?

10 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

There is Limited and Platinum, neither of which has the brand equity or exclusivity of Denali, partly because they are common words used elsewhere so it's hard to define a sub brand like you can with Denali. And having two certainly makes it more confusing.  

No, then you get the stupid people. What do you have? Denali what?  Denali Pickup? Denali Yukon? Denali Acadia? Denali Terrain? You mean there's more than one?

These people are related to those that don't know what year vehicle it is, what motor it has, etc.

Best ones are the ones that are 2 decades off in the year of there vehicle.  It's a 1996. They didn't make a Denali in 1996. What is your last name sir? I show a 2016 Denali under your name? That's it, 2016.

Huh?

Right now I'm not exactly sure how Timberline is going to be used on SuperDuty, it's just a guess that it's attempting to better define their luxury truck branding.  I know awareness of Platinum and Limited is extremely low relative to Denali, especially when you consider both RAM and Ford call their luxury trucks "Limited".  I certainly don't think the Mountain allusion of Denali National Park and Timberline Lodge (Mt. Hood in Oregon) is an accident, this is obviously Ford's take on Denali.  

Edited by Assimilator

I've been thinking about this lately, but I can't help but wonder if we are going to see the tipping point where attitudes shift against the ponderous blocky size of these pickups.  I say this because I've seen trends pushed to the brink at which point they snap back really hard, especially if new innovative competition arrives.  Those competitors might be EV trucks for example, or just smaller trucks.  It's just a thought exercise and I'm sure Ford is thinking about them as well, but I can't help but suspect we are heading for big changes on the truck front like the rest of the industry.  I'm just getting a little uneasy with the predictable steadiness of the truck market, but I certainly feel Ford is the one least content with just delivering what people expect.  

Edited by Assimilator

33 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I've been thinking about this lately, but I can't help but wonder if we are going to see the tipping point where attitudes shift against the ponderous blocky size of these pickups.  I say this because I've seen trends pushed to the brink at which point they snap back really hard, especially if new innovative competition arrives.  Those competitors might be EV trucks for example, or just smaller trucks.  It's just a thought exercise and I'm sure Ford is thinking about them as well, but I can't help but suspect we are heading for big changes on the truck front like the rest of the industry.  I'm just getting a little uneasy with the predictable steadiness of the truck market, but I certainly feel Ford is the one least content with just delivering what people expect.  

Things have been getting bigger for a long time. Take farm equipment. When my father started his main tractor had 80hp. That's a small chore tractor now.

When I was a teenager our largest tractor had 300hp. Now they use those to pull planters. I know a guy who uses a 400hp tractor to grind feed for his feedlot. I used the 80hp tractor listed above to do that.

Do more with less. That's the name of the game. Haul more pull more, with less people. Why have two guys and trucks when you can do it with one?

18 hours ago, Assimilator said:

There is Limited and Platinum, neither of which has the brand equity or exclusivity of Denali, partly because they are common words used elsewhere so it's hard to define a sub brand like you can with Denali. And having two certainly makes it more confusing.  

I guess Denali is recognized, but I don't see it as anything special.

14 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I wouldn't mind a shift away from the ultra blockiness.

22 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Timberline will work with the "Country "crowd....I am thinking if you want an uber-lux trim level above all that, call it Vignale and call it a day.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:26 PM, twintornados said:

Bottom line is while we here at Blue Oval forums may not like it and think it is hideous...the Chevrolet faithful will snap it up with gusto... 

I have a Chevy friend that says he is switching to Ford. I suspect this truck will kick a lot of Chevy fans over to GMC. 

As others have stated the 3/4 view is ok, but that frontal view!  Whoever approved that design should be fired. 

On another note, those bed steps don't look as bad as they did in the spy shots, but I think they're a bit too high too really be useful.  The Super Duty has the best solution with the extended running boards.  LOVE them on my truck, and it makes hooking up and unhooking the fifth wheel so much easier!

50 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

On another note, those bed steps don't look as bad as they did in the spy shots, but I think they're a bit too high too really be useful.  The Super Duty has the best solution with the extended running boards.  LOVE them on my truck, and it makes hooking up and unhooking the fifth wheel so much easier!

Yeah, I haven't understood why they don't just extend the running board back further.

I really don’t get Chevy’s take on the bed steps. The steps are in line with the lower edge of the truck so they aren’t any lower than the hitch area of the bumper. They aren’t really low enough to give you an easy step up. The steps in front of the bed may be of some use since you can grap the bed side easily to pull yourself up,  but I’m not sure if I like them esthetically. 

I have watched a couple recent Chevy fan videos on YouTube, and there is definitely some apprehension about the style. They are trying to justify the new lok without saying it’s ugly.  I get it, as a Ford fan,  I would be trying to do the same thing probably. I remember when the current generation Super Duty pics were leaked I was a little concerned about the look, but once I saw them in person it was a lot better looking to me.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, PREMiERdrum said:

There's no focal point, let alone a properly placed one. Poor, poor, poor design work. 

It's actually kind of amazing. Most vehicles usually have one or two angles where they don't look great. The Silverado HD has one or two angles where it doesn't look bad...