GM Novenber 2018 Sales

jpd80

So much for the "bump" in passenger car sales that other manufacturers were going to experience in the wake of Ford's announcement.

Over at Honda, Civic sales are down for the month (by almost 30 percent!), and while the Accord was up for the month (by a whopping 1.6 percent), it is still down for the year. These are two class-leading products. The CR-V is by far the best-selling Honda.

I wish there were some way for Ford to keep the Fusion and Focus, but I can understand the reasons behind its move.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grbeck said:

So much for the "bump" in passenger car sales that other manufacturers were going to experience in the wake of Ford's announcement.

Over at Honda, Civic sales are down for the month (by almost 30 percent!), and while the Accord was up for the month (by a whopping 1.6 percent), it is still down for the year. These are two class-leading products. The CR-V is by far the best-selling Honda.

I wish there were some way for Ford to keep the Fusion and Focus, but I can understand the reasons behind its move.

Once they convert the existing plants to C2 it would be relatively easy to bring back some Focus or Fusion models to fill in production capacity.   I think Focus active would be the first one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Once they convert the existing plants to C2 it would be relatively easy to bring back some Focus or Fusion models to fill in production capacity.   I think Focus active would be the first one.

Interesting how Ford still has options to add back cars at a later date yet with GM, there's a certain finality with shutterng plants...

What is happening with Chevy Sonic?  

Equinox sold 11,000 more than Escape.  Definitely the biggest gap between these two, Escape has really fallen off the map in 2018.  Ford recently announced they are cutting production for Escape/MKC.   

The Acadia/Traverse/Enclave total about 27,000, that's quite a bit more than Explorer.  

I know GM is facing tough times, but their SUV business really dwarfs Ford's at the moment so they do indeed look much better positioned. I'm not sure if Ford will ever be able to overtake GM or FCA utility sales, but they are working on it.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

GM couldn't care less about cars, it is seeing a big uptick with utilities and I suspect they now believe that eliminating cars will push more of those buyers into utilities. Kind of the Ford plan with a different spin - instead of switching car plants to utilities, they just switch them off and go harder with their Utility plants. Next year we could see GM replacing most if not all of its lost car production with even more Utilities.

Edited by jpd80

There's no denying GM has just done a far better job capitalizing on utilities and trucks than Ford which has only been able to focus on F-Series.  Ford is just too slow moving, that's how companies tend to die.  But that's changing starting next year.  

Edited by Assimilator

The reason Ford is slowing back on Escape production also has to do with it not wanting to push as hard with incentives, preferring to trade on higher ATPs which confounds us when we look at the raw sales data. I suspect that this is also occurring a bit with Explorer, so the next six months are gong to be a bit painful to watch, knowing that new products are now so near.

23 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

There's no denying GM has just done a far better job capitalizing on utilities and trucks than Ford which has only been able to focus on F-Series.  Ford is just too slow moving, that's how companies tend to die.  But that's changing starting next year. 

They were too cautious about the future of Expy/Navi and wanted to wait for the 2015 F150.   Then you have the delays on Explorer/Aviator and Escape thanks to Fields.   Edge/Nautilus seem to have been the only ones on a normal update/refresh cycle.

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The reason Ford is slowing back on Escape production also has to do with it not wanting to push as hard with incentives, preferring to trade on higher ATPs which confounds us when we look at the raw sales data. I suspect that this is also occurring a bit with Explorer, so the next six months are gong to be a bit painful to watch, knowing that new products are now so near.

Also the 2019 Escape just looks cheap, on top of questionable option packaging. The new tail lights, the side trim, the wheels, it looks more base Rogue Sport than a vehicle with a 30K+ sticker. With the Mazda CX-5 now offering the Turbo there is 0 reason to get an Escape in the class. October 2019 can't come soon enough for the Escape buyer.  

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 5

On 12/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, jasonj80 said:

Also the 2019 Escape just looks cheap, on top of questionable option packaging. The new tail lights, the side trim, the wheels, it looks more base Rogue Sport than a vehicle with a 30K+ sticker. With the Mazda CX-5 now offering the Turbo there is 0 reason to get an Escape in the class. October 2019 can't come soon enough for the Escape buyer.  

Whats the deal with the current Escape? I was slightly suprised that my wife's 2017 SE had some more options then my parents 2013 Ti model with almost as nice interior on it.

Seems like the design of the current Escape is too expesive for some reason and Ford is trying to cheapen it up since 2017?

Escape is another product suffering from Ford's inconsistency when under pressure.  Unfortunately that's why Ford has a hard time hanging onto competitive segments and the Escape has been no exception. They haven't been able to...escape...that habit.  When they do show up, it's usually pretty good...until it's not...and then it's not for a long time.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Whats the deal with the current Escape? I was slightly suprised that my wife's 2017 SE had some more options then my parents 2013 Ti model with almost as nice interior on it.

Seems like the design of the current Escape is too expesive for some reason and Ford is trying to cheapen it up since 2017?

For 2019 they deleted the LED tail lamps and clear sections so it it just this huge red chunk on the back of the car, the side trim is all black. It is ways to cut cost for sure.

6 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

For 2019 they deleted the LED tail lamps and clear sections so it it just this huge red chunk on the back of the car, the side trim is all black. It is ways to cut cost for sure.

What was driving it though? Was this current gen too expensive and the upper models weren't selling as well, prompting the cost cutting? How is this going to affect the next gen model?

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

What was driving it though? Was this current gen too expensive and the upper models weren't selling as well, prompting the cost cutting? How is this going to affect the next gen model?

It's part of a larger overall goal to slash costs across the board, and it has been hinted that the next generation is going to be alarmingly cheap looking. It's the kind of stuff I've been terrified of ever since Hackett took over and launched his cost cutting crusade. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's part of a larger overall goal to slash costs across the board, and it has been hinted that the next generation is going to be alarmingly cheap looking. It's the kind of stuff I've been terrified of ever since Hackett took over and launched his cost cutting crusade. 

While Hackett has been bad there seems to be at least some listening from managers and consumers on cost cuts and maybe raising costs vs just cutting. Some 2019 models are still from the Fields days of cost cutting, where programs were required to cut a fixed % from the product over so many years, you hit that you get a bonus -- you don't and your perforce review would reflect it. He is why the Ranger is missing some of the Lux options, they were in the original program but needed to be cut to meet those numbers, some they were added back to  the program and will be out for the 2020 MY.  The Explorer program also got hit really hard as well during this time. The problem is that you can't keep cutting and cutting and not expect your product to suffer, sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

18 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, especially when the competition is going the other way - becoming much nicer and more upscale.  I hope reports are wrong.

14 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

While Hackett has been bad there seems to be at least some listening from managers and consumers on cost cuts and maybe raising costs vs just cutting. Some 2019 models are still from the Fields days of cost cutting, where programs were required to cut a fixed % from the product over so many years, you hit that you get a bonus -- you don't and your perforce review would reflect it. He is why the Ranger is missing some of the Lux options, they were in the original program but needed to be cut to meet those numbers, some they were added back to  the program and will be out for the 2020 MY.  The Explorer program also got hit really hard as well during this time. The problem is that you can't keep cutting and cutting and not expect your product to suffer, sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Maybe that's why Explorer doesn't have full LED taillights.

I wonder how long GM will persist with Camaro, it really hasn't sold like GM expected...well, none of the Alphas have. So i guess the only thing holding back oblivion is Alpha II commitment but I think we see the end in sight, even if Gm doesn't .....

Edited by jpd80