Ranger sales estimate

2 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

A year or more away from Production and two or more years away from having a bunch on the lot in cool colors and various equipment levels that you can actually sell - in this hyper changing, instant gratification world, who knows what will be the 'gotta have' vehicle by then.  I'll take one though, and I am patient.

Why not order the fucking thing -If your gonna wait for it, might as get it excatly the way you want it.

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I believe it will eventually be a solid number 2, it just might not happen until MY2020.

Reasonable thought until the recent showing of the Gladiator which changes everything.  If FCA can produce them faster - and as we all agree from prior posts, Jeep does not even have to build them well and they will still sell like hotcakes!  For the record talking retail here - we know the Gladiator will not be a good fleet vehicle.

Edited by Kev-Mo

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why not order the fucking thing -If your gonna wait for it, might as get it excatly the way you want it.

Not sure what to make of that...so much for civility.  Didn't even know that Ford was taking orders for the Bronco....

And I always get exactly what I want (in a truck) BECAUSE I am patient! 

7 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Reasonable thought until the recent showing of the Gladiator which changes everything.  If FCA can produce them faster - and as we all agree from prior posts, Jeep does not even have to build them well and they will still sell like hotcakes!

I think your overstating the demand of the Gladiator-its going to take Wrangler sales and maybe some other pickup sales, but I doubt its going to ballon into something that sells more then 100K units a year.

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think your overstating the demand of the Gladiator-its going to take Wrangler sales and maybe some other pickup sales, but I doubt its going to ballon into something that sells more then 100K units a year.

Fair enough -we'll see.  But don't see anyone convincing the Toyota fanboys to come over to Ford or Chevy - Jeep Gladiator may get a few though simply on cool factor.

42 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Fair enough -we'll see.  But don't see anyone convincing the Toyota fanboys to come over to Ford or Chevy - Jeep Gladiator may get a few though simply on cool factor.

If you're talking about Taco owners, you'll see some of them come back to Ford, and you'll probably see some come back from the other Dark Side. After all, at least some of them were Ford owners before FoMoCo killed the Ranger. 

50 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Ranger is a competent product, but it's also pretty boring, it's definitely not out to convince people to give up their other trucks unless they don't like their trucks.  There are plenty of Ford customers however who will want one.  

Boring?  As is the Tacoma, Frontier, Canyon, etc.  The current front runners are all play-it-safe vehicles, but they’re all successful.  As for the Ranger, there are millions of ex-Ranger owners (me) who will be closely looking at this vehicle.  The Ford badge alone will guarantee some degree of success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

The Chevy Colorado/Canyon is far and away a better overall truck than Tacoma - and they can't mount a sales leadership challenge against Toyota- why do Ford guys (like me) think that the Ranger will?

Ranger will sell, and may be a better fleet option - but it won't displace Tacoma, especially in retail.

Yoda customers are interesting beyond compare...loyal to a FAULT....how else can one explain Camry and Corolla sales?...I rightfully don't know if there will be conquest sales...but Im quite sure there will be a lot of first time truck buyers not "Toyota brainwashed"....especially if the head to head comparisons mimic what we already know....the Tacos are extremely antiquated....

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

A year or more away from Production and two or more years away from having a bunch on the lot in cool colors and various equipment levels that you can actually sell - in this hyper changing, instant gratification world, who knows what will be the 'gotta have' vehicle by then.  I'll take one though, and I am patient.

I too am waiting...the 7 speed manual hooked me...even if it is on a basic model...Colors?...funny you stated that, and its an area I thin Ford missed the boat when it comes to the ranger....wheres the Camo green, the Lead foot?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deanh said:

I too am waiting...the 7 speed manual hooked me...even if it is on a basic model...Colors?...funny you stated that, and its an area I thin Ford missed the boat when it comes to the ranger....wheres the Camo green, the Lead foot?

More colors means more money invested by Ford and lord knows we can't have that now. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

In the grand scheme of things, why worry about outselling the Taco if you can sell nicely equipped Rangers for a decent profit.

Toyota would kill to sell full sized trucks in the way Ford does, but is that going to happen-most likely not. 

I see the Ranger at least eventually being the number 2 nameplate in sales in mid-size truck catagory in the next 24-36 months.

Bingo...I don't thing ultimately sales numbers are a true sign of success...I can attest we have people wandering in asking about the ranger constantly....

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Gladiator is cool, but im guessing it may wear thin over time...and I swear...how the HELL does Jeep get around selling vehicles with removable doors, Roofs and flip down windsheilds,,,,,rolling death traps in my opinion...like giving a middle finger to side intrusion and roll over....

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Boring?  As is the Tacoma, Frontier, Canyon, etc.  The current front runners are all play-it-safe vehicles, but they’re all successful.  As for the Ranger, there are millions of ex-Ranger owners (me) who will be closely looking at this vehicle.  The Ford badge alone will guarantee some degree of success.

Tacoma isn't boring, it's a cultural phenomenon that took decades of persistence to build (like Civic, Camry, Accord, Mustang, Wrangler, F-150, Corvette, etc.).  Ranger is starting over and they are showing up with a smart answer, but not a particularly noticeable one.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Gladiator is cool, but im guessing it may wear thin over time...and I swear...how the HELL does Jeep get around selling vehicles with removable doors, Roofs and flip down windsheilds,,,,,rolling death traps in my opinion...like giving a middle finger to side intrusion and roll over....

"Off Road Use Only"

10 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Tacoma isn't boring, it's a cultural phenomenon......

Cultural phenomena?  Tacoma?  Really?  I wager if you ask most people what a Tacoma is, they would have no idea.  You see very few Tacoma's here in northern Michigan, but I do see a lot of the GM mid-sized twins.

Actually Camaro tried really hard, but trying really hard doesn't mean anything if you miss what the customer wants.  

My point is that substance and stats doesn't always make a more successful product.  It's complicated.  

And my God I'm not bashing the Ranger, but you have to recognize Tacoma's success in the same way you have to acknowledge Wrangler or Mustang.  Keeping those customers didn't happen entirely by accident (although continuity is key). 

Edited by Assimilator

42 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Who here has driven a Wrangler in the last 10 years? I have, it was a 2016 4 door Wrangler. I would not want a vehicle that drives horrible on the expressway and feels unsafe over 70. I really can't think of a worse vehicle on the road but they sell like hotcakes.

I have, noisy, bumpy, lots of road noise, and thirsty....but enjoyed the retro and quirky....not sure I could live with one long term though...these are areas I believe Fords upcoming competitor will adress...

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Tacoma isn't boring, it's a cultural phenomenon that took decades of persistence to build (like Civic, Camry, Accord, Mustang, Wrangler, F-150, Corvette, etc.).  Ranger is starting over and they are showing up with a smart answer, but not a particularly noticeable one.

dont agree....it was the only real "game in town" for a long time...the only competitor was nissan...

• Like 1