No Go on 2019 Ford Edge purchase

tk2fast

After spending quite a bit of time looking for a new vehicle my wife and I decided on a 2019 Ford Edge. So we contacted dealers and were stunned to find them saying that they only had one or two in stock. Mind you this is December 3rd and Ford started early September manufacturing the 2019. Then I was told that I could order one but that would take a good 10 weeks! I was told Ford is one of the slowest to get the cars to market. Is this normal?

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Just curious. I am located in Phoenix AZ.

Edited by tk2fast

It’s completely normal on a new vehicle launch.   When Ford starts production (back in September) they hold the vehicles and inspect them.  They must go 5 consecutive days without a defect.  If they find one at 4.75 days, the clock restarts.  This means it can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks or longer to achieve ok to buy status.   Add to that shipping delays (which affects all mfrs - trains especially are bad) and the fact that a lot of the early arrivals may already be sold or have folks waiting for them to arrive and it’s not surprising.  It will take another month or so for inventories to build up.

Also - dealers are independent and they decide what and when to order (within Ford’s allocation).

20 hours ago, tk2fast said:

After spending quite a bit of time looking for a new vehicle my wife and I decided on a 2019 Ford Edge. So we contacted dealers and were stunned to find them saying that they only had one or two in stock. Mind you this is December 3rd and Ford started early September manufacturing the 2019. Then I was told that I could order one but that would take a good 10 weeks! I was told Ford is one of the slowest to get the cars to market. Is this normal?

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Just curious. I am located in Phoenix AZ.

TK, if you end up ordering see if you can do what my dealer did with the Nautilus I have on order. Instead of placing an entirely new order (and having to wait 2+ months), my dealer was able to amend to my preferred specifications an existing vehicle they had ordered some time ago for lot sales. That order/amendment went in around Nov. 20. I should get my Nautilus a few days before Christmas.

Edited by Gurgeh

I would not call that a "new" vehicle launch so a 10 week delay IS out of the ordinary !  2020 Ranger and Explorer will be "new".  That is just a minor "refresh".

That car comes out of Oakville, ON.  They may have given priority to Nautilus, but that should not upset scheduling that much.  The FLEX/MKT comes out of that plant but volume on those is pretty low.  I do know that is a one shift plant.

That may help a little but when the dealer places a retail (sold) order it's supposed to have a higher priority (numerically lower) than any of the dealer stock vehicles.   Retail orders are priority 10-19 while dealer stock is 20+.   When the dealer gets allocation it schedules them starting with the lowest numerical priority first (10 is the best).   If the dealer has multiple vehicles with the same priority then it goes by order date (oldest first).   If your dealer puts your order in as a priority 10 then yours should be the first one to be scheduled when allocation is available unless there is another priority 10 order older than yours.   Always ask for the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) and check the priority.   But note that a priority of 19 isn't necessarily bad.  If you're the only retail Edge order from that dealer you'll still be first.   The only issue is if they give you a priority of 19 and give a later order a lower priority but that doesn't usually happen.   Normally they use the same priority and let it go by order date.

9 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

I would not call that a "new" vehicle launch so a 10 week delay IS out of the ordinary !  2020 Ranger and Explorer will be "new".  That is just a minor "refresh".

That car comes out of Oakville, ON.  They may have given priority to Nautilus, but that should not upset scheduling that much.  The FLEX/MKT comes out of that plant but volume on those is pretty low.  I do know that is a one shift plant.

I think they're experiencing a lot of shipping delays.

This is very typical, I ALWAYS run into this when ordering a new model year Lincoln, whether it's an MCE or All-New.  I ordered a 2016 MKX in March, production was suppose to begin April, delivery was estimated in June.  I wasn't able to take delivery until November because of production delays.  I backed out of a 2013 MKZ order because of this as well. 

The delays are often tied to specific items in your configuration.  For me I assumed it was the 22-Way seats, but nobody was able to confirm.  My 2018 MKX order arrived within a month of placing the order.

When it comes to Ford or Lincoln, expect significant delays in the first year.

Edited by Assimilator

51 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Oakville is a 2 shift plant

After many calls to dealers I've found out that there are quite a few 2019 Edge's in stock as long as they were delivered by convoy (closer to the factory). If they have to go on rail first, then there is a big delivery snag. Dealers I spoke with were somewhat pissed at Ford as they said they can't get the cars they want in a timely manner.

Edited by tk2fast

• 3 weeks later...