Hybrid tax incentive for 2020 aviator plug-in?

6 hours ago, Flying68 said:

The curb weight difference accounts for 781 lb but wonder what led to the further 319 lb reduction?  The 2020 Explorer was announced as 5000 lb for the hybrid, 5300 for 2.3L EcoBoost, and 5600 for the 3.0L ecoBoost. .........Makes me wonder if they are derating the 3.0L from 400hp/400lbft to something less and then making up the rest with the electric motor......

I hope that is the correct answer.  I would prefer to have the 3.0 from the Explorer with 365 hp and have an electric motor something north of 150 hp (200+ preferred) I want a decent experience driving in all electric mode.

The towing capacity comparison to other brands has a very simple explanation: Explorer and Aviator are not the biggest SUVs in Ford and Lincoln's stables. If you want more towing capacity, Ford is very happy to show you what an Expedition or Navigator can do. In another word, Ford doesn't feel compelled to up rate the Explorer because they would rather you buy an Expedition if you want more than 5,000 lbs towing.

Cayenne, Q7, Discovery etc are the biggest SUVs that is for sale for those brands so they are maxed out for tow rating.

Edited by bzcat

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 3:44 PM, msm859 said:

I hope that is the correct answer.  I would prefer to have the 3.0 from the Explorer with 365 hp and have an electric motor something north of 150 hp (200+ preferred) I want a decent experience driving in all electric mode.

Well we may have our answer.  2020 Ford Explorer PHEV Revealed In Europe With 450 HP

The important takeaway is the following:

One of the most successful American large SUVs will be available on the Old Continent exclusively with a PHEV powertrain which consists of a 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 gas engine generating 350 horsepower (261 kilowatts) and an electric motor good for another 100 hp (75 kW). The combined peak output stands at 450 hp (335 kW) and 620 pound-feet (840 Newton-meters).

Thanks to a 13.1-kWh lithium-ion battery, the massive (by the European standards) three-row SUV will be able to travel up to 25 miles (40 kilometers) on purely electric energy. Mated to a 10-speed automatic and an intelligent all-wheel drive, the Explorer PHEV will have a combined fuel consumption of 3.4 liters per 100 kilometers (69 miles per gallon) with corresponding CO2 emissions of 78 grams per kilometer. Obviously, these figures represent just the first 62 miles (100 kilometers) when the battery is still fully charged.

So I think it is safe to say the GT will be 3.0L at 350 Hp with a 100 hp EM.  The real kick in the pants will be the 13.1 -kWh battery with only 25 miles range.  Even the 2020 Escape gets over 14 kWh on its battery.  At 13.1, the tax credit works out to $5877.70.  This is a real Debby Downer.

4 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Well we may have our answer.  2020 Ford Explorer PHEV Revealed In Europe With 450 HP

The important takeaway is the following:

One of the most successful American large SUVs will be available on the Old Continent exclusively with a PHEV powertrain which consists of a 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 gas engine generating 350 horsepower (261 kilowatts) and an electric motor good for another 100 hp (75 kW). The combined peak output stands at 450 hp (335 kW) and 620 pound-feet (840 Newton-meters).

Thanks to a 13.1-kWh lithium-ion battery, the massive (by the European standards) three-row SUV will be able to travel up to 25 miles (40 kilometers) on purely electric energy. Mated to a 10-speed automatic and an intelligent all-wheel drive, the Explorer PHEV will have a combined fuel consumption of 3.4 liters per 100 kilometers (69 miles per gallon) with corresponding CO2 emissions of 78 grams per kilometer. Obviously, these figures represent just the first 62 miles (100 kilometers) when the battery is still fully charged.

So I think it is safe to say the GT will be 3.0L at 350 Hp with a 100 hp EM.  The real kick in the pants will be the 13.1 -kWh battery with only 25 miles range.  Even the 2020 Escape gets over 14 kWh on its battery.  At 13.1, the tax credit works out to $5877.70.  This is a real Debby Downer.

Yes, those are depressing numbers if true.  Considering the requirements of China, 50 km should have been the minimum electric range along with a battery large enough to get the full tax credit.  Not sure how the heavy Aviator/Explorer is going to actually move comfortably on 100 hp (although most PHEV's have more hp on the electric side then simply the "sum" of the ICE and electric).  The Chrysler Pacifica PHEV has a 53 km range, 16kWh battery and 2 electric motors with 198 total hp.  If true Ford is obviously not seriously committed to electrification.

Edited by msm859

They explorer adds the spark to a 350 HP motor.  The Aviator starts with a 400 HP base.  I can't imagine the Aviator and Explorer will be rated the same, just like the Gator and Expedition the Aviator should have a tad more ummppphhhh.  Is the Explorer headed for China or just the Aviator.   I think next week we'll get our answers.