Ford Trademarks Mach-E, Thunder, and Evos Names

I could link to it, but it'll say it's expired, but searching the USPTO under "Ford Motor Company" as the owner of trademarks show that Ford has applied for the following names (in chronological order):

Evos: June 25th, 2018 (I was more interested in the other names, but I was surprised to see this one in here)

Mach-E: November 26th, 2018

Thunder: November 26th, 2018

----

I'm guessing Evos may be used on a white space vehicle?

So looks like Mach 1 may wind up being called Mach-E.

Could Thunder be a trim line on Mach-E?  Or like Ford's Ludicrous mode?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Mach E is stupid, will be made fun of, and sounds ridiculous. People will pronounce it as Maccy  or Mache. 90% of the car buying public has no clue what significant vehicle trim Mach is, While heritage is important a name that has significance 40+ years ago ( I realize there was a Mach 1 trim ,15 years ago) doesn't mean anything to car buyers today. Some things need to stay in the past.

• Like 2

Haha, maybe they'll bring out another F-150-based Lightning, and then have the Ranger version be Thunder.

----

Oh I also forgot, there was an "FX4 Max" in the trademark filings too.  Don't know if that means it's a more offroad version of FX4, or if it's just a variation of Expedition Max.

---

Someone on another board suggested they call the electric F-150 the Lightning, as a performance-based model.

Edited by rmc523

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Oh Lordy, I hope not. Here in the UK, Maccy D's is what many people call the fast food chain........

Here in Brazil, Pinto (Ford Pinto) is cocks/dick and aviator looks like viado that means queer in portuguese language. It should be to avoid this that many brands use alphanumeric names. Ford F-150 is F-150 anywhere in the world. A letter and a number that means what they really are

Edited by RadicalX

What I don't understand is why we don't yet have a lightning. All the pieces are there. Just take a nice lightweight loomnum rcsb F-150 with the coyote and stick the FRPP whipple supercharger on it.  YouTube is full of videos of guys who've done just that. In 4wd they make 1/4 mile monsters. All the insane power of a whipple'd mustang without the traction limitations. Seems too simple to not be a factory offering.

45 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

What I don't understand is why we don't yet have a lightning. All the pieces are there. Just take a nice lightweight loomnum rcsb F-150 with the coyote and stick the FRPP whipple supercharger on it.  YouTube is full of videos of guys who've done just that. In 4wd they make 1/4 mile monsters. All the insane power of a whipple'd mustang without the traction limitations. Seems too simple to not be a factory offering.

Because it is so easy to do it aftermarket.  Ford gets a F150 sale either way but don't have the expense of developing it, testing it, certifying it, etc.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a F150 with the GT500 supercharged 5.2L at some point.  That you can't do aftermarket easily or cheaply.

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Maybe the market just shifted to off-road performance trucks instead. I’ve wondered this myself but it seems all the sport trucks disappeared around the same time.  

I still think the f150 tremor they came out with a few years ago was pretty sweet but I don’t think it sold very well.

could also be due to the fact that all the sport trucks were single cab and now no one drives single cab anymore.

57 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Maybe the market just shifted to off-road performance trucks instead. I’ve wondered this myself but it seems all the sport trucks disappeared around the same time.  

I still think the f150 tremor they came out with a few years ago was pretty sweet but I don’t think it sold very well.

could also be due to the fact that all the sport trucks were single cab and now no one drives single cab anymore.

Well, there hasn't exactly been any sport truck options in configurations buyers want anytime recently.

I know my dad would've bought a "Lightning" (supercab) over a Raptor had one been available.