2022 Compact Pickup Details

3 hours ago, rbcundiff6 said:

A 121" wheel base (120.6") is the same as a current Transit Connect LWB van. Could it be the basis for this future truck? Adding a truck cab and bed would shorten the turn around time from design to production.

makes sense considering the TC's payload is a tad above 1300 pounds...

Credt to bzcat for posting about this very subject  on another forum - vwvortex.com  on 7-27-18

Ford program code for this truck is P758 (P for pickup). It is originally supposed to be next gen Transit Connect pickup truck but as part of Ford's "SUV and truck all the things" product plan, it was recently divorced from Transit Connect so it can be given more standalone truck-like design. There is also a new CUV paired with this truck that just got added to the program (CX758). Not a lot is known about CX758 but possibly as a LWB 3-row compact class CUV like Tiguan All Space.

The next gen Transit Connect (V713) will also be made in North America. Ford's autonomous "uber mobile" is based on the next gen Transit Connect wagon.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Thanks to both Assimilator and bzcat for info on this topic.?

What is happening in the two Mexican plants is still a mystery to many reporters so thankfully, we get glimpses of the future.

I hope Ford reveals more over the coming show season, they really need to get the good news out to buyers that new products are on the way

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thanks to both Assimilator and bzcat for info on this topic.?

What is happening in the two Mexican plants is still a mystery to many reporters so thankfully, we get glimpses of the future.

I hope Ford reveals more over the coming show season, they really need to get the good news out to buyers that new products are on the way

I believe that Ford is making these compact trucks and vans in Mexico for a very good reason. USMCA allows for "import" to the US market and Mexicos' trade agreements, apart from the USA pacts, allow for export to South American nations with ease.

• Like 1

Maybe they wouldn't sell a bunch here in the USA, but by being built in Mexico, they can export them to Brazil and other South American markets and that would keep that plant humming for years...and since the supplier of parts and assemblies may also come from USA and Canadian plants...that is a plus for our workers.

image.png.583e224c3a8966d6fb7d2e94a0716597.pngimage.png.18d45b57533f010b1ad63c36ecb8d86e.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twintornados said:

I believe that Ford is making these compact trucks and vans in Mexico for a very good reason. USMCA allows for "import" to the US market and Mexicos' trade agreements, apart from the USA pacts, allow for export to South American nations with ease.

Problem with that is Brazil and Argentina put limits on vehicles coming from Mexico to protect their own production plants in  South America.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, passis said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStG4Sgubcg2PMKxjiKcwF

Maybe something a little bit bigger, like Fiat Toro, Renault/Dacia Oroch or VW Tarok

I generally agree, but I didn’t think this brown Fiat was too bad. I think that would sell here. 

Obviously the box is short but if they came up with a bed that could extend out by 2 ft (a more inovative version of the flip out bed extender, etc) it could be workable. This kind of vehicle is not going to be a heavy work vehicle, at least in the US anyway. 

Edited by tbone

There's a problem with all of this,  the current Transit Connect's external width, shoulder room and hip room is very close to the Ranger and in order for the compact truck to work, Ranger would need to grow in width, either that or the compact Truck is a bit narrower than a Transit Connect........those South American vehicles all look to be based on much smaller vehicles like Subcompacts.

Edited by jpd80

37 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

There's a problem with all of this,  the current Transit Connect's external width, shoulder room and hip room is very close to the Ranger and in order for the compact truck to work, Ranger would need to grow in width, either that or the compact Truck is a bit narrower than a Transit Connect........those South American vehicles all look to be based on much smaller vehicles like Subcompacts.

Next generation Ranger launches like a year after this is supposedly launching. They would be very foolish not to address that inconsistency. 

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Not necessarily a problem.

Ranger will continue to be a real truck with significant payload and capability advantage.

The compact pickup will be similar to Fiat Toro and aimed at the market segments that won't need all the beef, they just want the empty calories.

I can’t see Ford offering this in the U.S. Ford is exiting business they can’t make a good return on and this thing would have to be priced so high to get a decent return that sales would likely be very low. Compared to the Fusion sales would likely be far less and at lower prices. 

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

those South American vehicles all look to be based on much smaller vehicles like Subcompacts.

Fiat Toro shares its platform with Jeep's Renegade-Compass and is sold in some markets as RAM.

Edited by passis

14 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I can’t see Ford offering this in the U.S. Ford is exiting business they can’t make a good return on and this thing would have to be priced so high to get a decent return that sales would likely be very low. Compared to the Fusion sales would likely be far less and at lower prices. 

Mechanically, it will be a Transit Connect truck... Ford has no problem getting good money for Transit Connect now, and I'm guessing this truck will easily get higher transaction price than most non-PHEV Fusion. Plus you have to consider the fact that Ford is building it in Mexico. There is no reason to build it in Mexico unless you intend to sell it in the US.

Also don't forget, there will  be a CUV related to this truck.

• Like 1