2022 Compact Pickup Details

Ford is developing a 3rd Pickup to slot below Ranger and it's coming fairly soon.

Some details I discovered about it.

It's FWD or Full Time AWD with a 2.0L EcoBoost and 2.5L HEV.  

Trim levels: XL, XLT, Lariat, FX4

121" Wheelbase, 17s and 18s wheel options, 4-Door only, sliding rear window option with manual or power. 

It also has a companion SUV.  The Codes are P758 (Truck) and CX758 (Utility).  The utility is not related to the CX430 which is the Maverick.

Production begins at Hermosillo Mid 2021 as a MY 2022 vehicle.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 6

I'm guessing this new upcoming CX758 utility will be the similar size/market of the current EcoSport? I'm thinking the current EcoSport from India is just a placeholder for American market until this new CX758 enters production as a new named utility or even the next generation EcoSport. I also don't think there will be much bed space of the P758 pickup considering only four doors would be offered. I'm trying to imagine what it would look like and can only envision a four door version of the previous Courier pickup with 2 doors.

Either way, I'm excited to see what these two upcoming vehicles will bring to the American and global markets. It's only 2 and a half years to go at least until production starts. Thanks for the info, @Assimilator

Edited by pffan1990
To add the last paragraph.
  • Like 1

Great - just when we were finally getting to the point of purging the fwd vehicles that have no business being fwd Ford is going to come out with another one.  FWD may be appropriate for the compact SUV class but it just doesn't belong in a pickup. You lose so much capability going to fwd.

I have to wonder if there's really much of a market for a tiny pickup with severely compromised capabilities. Especially since it's on the low end of the market and will have to subsist on volume rather than margin.

The old ranger worked because it was cheap, nimble, and took a beating way above it's weight class due to its BOF/RWD design. And the fact that major development costs were amortized across 3 decades also helped. This new one is only going to have the cheap attribute.

Right now I have hard time understanding the relationship between these vehicles and the CX430 (Maverick), but CX430 is basically an Escape-Bronco complete with standard AWD.  I do know there is a new EcoSport in development, but the US is not getting it.  So I'm assuming this is their solution to fixing that market segment in North America.  You have to remember that both Jeep Compass and Renegade are based on the same B-Segment platform, both Escape and Maverick are positioned above those on C-Segment architectures.  So Ford's strategy is slightly different than Jeep's, but you can see where Ford can get similar volume...and perhaps higher margin volume as well.  It's not a 1 to 1 comparison that's for sure which is reassuring in some ways since it tells me they've discovered some opportunities in the market that others have not. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Ford is developing a 3rd Pickup to slot below Ranger and it's coming fairly soon.

Some details I discovered about it.

It's FWD or Full Time AWD with a 2.0L EcoBoost and 2.5L HEV.  

Trim levels: XL, XLT, Lariat, FX4

121" Wheelbase, 17s and 18s wheel options, 4-Door only, sliding rear window option with manual or power. 

It also has a companion SUV.  The Codes are P758 (Truck) and CX758 (Utility).  The utility is not related to the CX430 which is the Maverick.

Production begins at Hermosillo Mid 2021 as a MY 2022 vehicle.

Hmm... Will it be kind of like the ill-fated Subaru Baja? 

14 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

Evidently, you didn't see the Ranchero on a recent Bitchin Rides episode. That is a thing of beauty.

I don't disagree that those Rancheros were beautiful...but the name itself is rightfully where it belongs. Of course, that is my personal opinion. Could you imagine if they called it Pinto? Some Ford names need to stay in the history books.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

I don't disagree that those Rancheros were beautiful...but the name itself is rightfully where it belongs. Of course, that is my personal opinion. Could you imagine if they called it Pinto? Some Ford names need to stay in the history books.

In what universe is the Ranchero name equated to the Pinto?

Built in 3 separate decades and 3 different body sizes. 1957-1979

Pinto was made for a whopping 9 years.

I can't recall anyone making a Ranchero joke.

This problem with the name seems to be a "you" problem. 

47 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

In what universe is the Ranchero name equated to the Pinto?

Built in 3 separate decades and 3 different body sizes. 1957-1979

Pinto was made for a whopping 9 years.

I can't recall anyone making a Ranchero joke.

This problem with the name seems to be a "you" problem. 

Hence why I said, "of course, that is my personal opinion"...and for what its worth, I am not equating Ranchero to Pinto...just saying some names belong in the history books for one reason or another.