2020 Lincoln Aviator Debuts

11 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

You mean this afternoon's press conference? I didn't see the part where the crowd gasp and cheered and the presentation had to temporarily stop.

Didn't the video stopped for a while? Or maybe it was just a technical glitch?

I was on the far left side near the Audi stand and some people definitely cheered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, akirby said:

I love that blue/green color.  I like the wheels on the white one a lot better than the turbine wheels. 

I bet Motor Trend, Car and Driver and the other publications are racking their brains to find something bad to say about it.

Two things they can’t say is that it’s underpowered or that it’s on a cheap Ford platform.

I don’t think it’s lacking any features vs. the competition either.

My buddy at Ford said the were “all in” on Aviator and it sounds like they nailed it.

Even Jalopnik, which typically dosn't like crossovers, raved about it. They did find one thing not to like: the phone as key.

14 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Didn't the video stopped for a while? Or maybe it was just a technical glitch?

I was on the far left side near the Audi stand and some people definitely cheered.

The video didn't stop at all from what I seen though it did get blurry at the beginning which I'm guessing was the connection buffering issue. I watched it on Lincoln's Facebook page so I'm wondering if perhaps Lincoln actually did the live reveal on a delay basis in case something happened like a tech glitch. So maybe the live delay was enough for them to do a quick edit to make it look like the presentation was seamless. Or I probably just didn't hear the cheers since Lincoln president Joy had been microphoned directly to the live video feed. I did noticed her mistake though when she spoke of power figures and said '450 pounds horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque'. lol

As for what a couple others said regarding the phone as key, I also don't like it. I'm glad that there will still be a traditional key fob offered though as well as the keypad on the driver door.

47 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Imagine this mated to a V8 Mustang....*whistles innocently*

That is a nice thing to think about. Seeing how much you know the inside info, I'm guessing the Mustang Hybrid will be a very sweet car. If I can make a quick guess based on increase of power the 3.0L TT V6 hybrid makes over regular engine, I would say the Mustang Hybrid will make upwards of at least 500 horsepower and 550 torque?

Edited by pffan1990
Misspelled a word in second sentence.

This Hybrid system is being paired to virtually every V6 and V8 engine Ford has.  Some applications are geared toward efficiency, but all add gobs of torque.  So if this Hybrid motor adds 200 ft/lb of torque to the 3.0TT, extrapolate that to other performance focus applications and you have a pretty good idea of how insane this is going to get fairly quickly.  I really wish people would catch a clue as to what's about to happen at Ford, but I guess surprises are good.  I have never been more excited by Ford and Lincoln's future.  Unless GM is hiding something (they probably are), Ford is going to murder them on electrification.  And that's before we get to Mach1 which is more powerful than Mustang GT.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I just don't think it's necessary. It's an idea fixing something that isn't broken. 

Nothing is necessary, but you always have your phone in your pocket so there is no additional fob to worry about.  You can also authorize up to 4 phones whereas you only have 2 fobs.   E.g. you could leave your vehicle for someone else to pick up and just authorize their phone remotely.  Since you can start and drive the car without it in an emergency using a code there really isn’t a down side.  And it’s not susceptible to the current fob hacks.

17 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Can I ask what you don't like about the Phone key? I mean the car has regular keys you can use. Just a way to eliminate having keys with you or locking them inside with the key pad.

Nothing other then personal preference for me. If others like it and have good use of it, then great. I don't even have a smartphone as I use regular phone with non-contract TracFone paid minutes. A key fob would just be fine for me. Not that I'm planning on buying a new Aviator or any other vehicle for that matter. But just a personal preference on my part.

I should mention that PaaK (Phone as a Key) is coming to Ford as well, but not initially.  So Explorer won't have this at launch, but will eventually.  They've spent years developing this to work securely.  

If the PaaK fails, you can use the standard keypad and enter a passcode on the Sync screen to start the car. 

Edited by Assimilator

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

Nothing is necessary, but you always have your phone in your pocket so there is no additional fob to worry about.  You can also authorize up to 4 phones whereas you only have 2 fobs.   E.g. you could leave your vehicle for someone else to pick up and just authorize their phone remotely.  Since you can start and drive the car without it in an emergency using a code there really isn’t a down side.  And it’s not susceptible to the current fob hacks.

I don't mind having a fob. What I hate is the physical key my focus has. I'm cool with leaving a fob clipped to my belt with the rest of my keys since if nothing else when I go to work I need to have my hi-lo key on me. 

Call me old fashioned but phone as a key just isn't for me

26 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

And I believe that PaaK is also an option when I looked at the option packages. So if you can't cope with the new tech, just don't option it that way.

I would love to agree with you, but the way Ford packages their options there's going to be plenty of people stuck with it that don't want it because they dared to want something else. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't mind having a fob. What I hate is the physical key my focus has. I'm cool with leaving a fob clipped to my belt with the rest of my keys since if nothing else when I go to work I need to have my hi-lo key on me. 

Call me old fashioned but phone as a key just isn't for me

Okay, you are old fashioned.  I don't understand why anyone would be against this - almost as good as sliced bread.  Now I won't have to worry about finding my key fob that my wife took because she could not find hers.  Don't have to worry about leaving my phone at home.  Don't have an extra thing in my pocket.  Eventually all cars will have this so I won't need 2 separate key fobs.  Don't have to worry about replacing batteries in my key fob.  Like I said best thing since sliced bread -almost.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Even if it’s included, you don’t have to use it.

Agreed.  If I wanted to find something to complain about  - a little bummed they couldn't hide the charging port behind the Aviator emblem like in the concept shown in NY - although I realize it may not have been big enough.

8 hours ago, Assimilator said:

This Hybrid system is being paired to virtually every V6 and V8 engine Ford has.  Some applications are geared toward efficiency, but all add gobs of torque.  So if this Hybrid motor adds 200 ft/lb of torque to the 3.0TT, extrapolate that to other performance focus applications and you have a pretty good idea of how insane this is going to get fairly quickly.  I really wish people would catch a clue as to what's about to happen at Ford, but I guess surprises are good.  I have never been more excited by Ford and Lincoln's future.  Unless GM is hiding something (they probably are), Ford is going to murder them on electrification.  And that's before we get to Mach1 which is more powerful than Mustang GT.

Apologies for taking this off topic, but Ford originally stated the hybrid Mustang would be here for 2020.......I assumed that would be a '21MY. Given the most recent claims from earlier this year that S650 has been pushed back to 2022 ('23MY) this would indicate the hybrid Mustang would debut on the current S550 platform.  Is that an accurate prediction? :)

I’m betting that Phone As A Key will be one of those features that many wonder what took so long; but as others have said you’re not forced to use it; you still have a conventional fob, so I don’t understand the backlash towards giving people options—of course it’s not a necessity, but that’s what luxury is all about. I’ve already come to the conclusion this is my next car, now I just have to decide on colors—definitely want the Take Flight theme, though. 

11 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Can I ask what you don't like about the Phone key? I mean the car has regular keys you can use. Just a way to eliminate having keys with you or locking them inside with the key pad.

I would only dislike it if it supplanted the fob. As an additional option it's fine.

Honestly whenever someone has an issue with tech I try to think of all the reasons why, the "I dont want big brother to know", "I dont want aliens to control my car", "I dont want my wife to track me", I even spoke about this with a friend last night and I'm still not getting why it would be an issue for someone. I mean, if you want to carry a key in your pocket, I'm sure the traditional way will work. This is just another option. I know my phone is on me all the time, and I don't carry any keys anymore cept my car, so this would make it easier for me.  Is it an issue where your "trading cars" with your spouse or something?  or is it based on fear, "the boogie man will take my phone and run with my car?"  I'm sure for valets a traditional key will also be provided, because I surely don't expect anyone handing over their phone.

• Like 2