2020 Lincoln Aviator Debuts

19 hours ago, akirby said:

That would be the conventional thinking but it sounds like Lincoln is taking a different path with Aviator.  It would not surprise me if the 3.0TT was the only engine.

Explorer will certainly get a standard 2.3L and 3.3L Hybrid.  The question is whether the Explorer ST gets the 2.7T, 3.0T or 3.5T.

That may be true, which would be nice to see with other brands getting tiny powertains with little to no options standard, but I just think we haven't seen the true base model yet - we saw some spy shots of models with smaller wheels running around.

2 hours ago, spudz64 said:

Well, if Nautilus moves from Oakville, maybe the next Edge will gain a domestic 3 row variant, which could also be exported to Europe to replace the S-MAX and Galaxie...? Build them all at Oakville, and export as needed. I think a US 3 row Edge makes sense since the Explorer is going a bit upmarket and the Flex is going away too.

Yeah, I could certainly see us getting the 7-passenger Edge eventually.

16 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The Avaiator could also gain the 2.3L hybrid powertrain that is going into the Corsair in a year or so. Would also allow it to be in a lower tax bracket in China. 

2.3 doesn't buy you any significant tax advantage over 3.0. Most countries that have displacement based annual taxes cap it at 2.0 liter and the rate increase significantly above 2.0. So 2.3 and 3.0 will be in the same tax bracket, or both subject to significant penalties over 2.0. This is why I think rumors of 2.3 hybrid is a nothingburger. It doesn't make any sense. If Ford is going to bother with a hybrid setup for markets outside the US, it will be 2.0 or smaller.

Now, even if there is a 2.3 hybrid (or a new 2.0 hybrid for that matter), it sill be a transverse system and not necessarily competitor with Aviator or Explorer.

3 hours ago, spudz64 said:

Well, if Nautilus moves from Oakville, maybe the next Edge will gain a domestic 3 row variant, which could also be exported to Europe to replace the S-MAX and Galaxie...? Build them all at Oakville, and export as needed. I think a US 3 row Edge makes sense since the Explorer is going a bit upmarket and the Flex is going away too.

I think odds of 3-row Edge for US market is quite good for next gen. Gives Ford something to compete with Highlander, Acadia, and Sorento.

But with Mondeo, S-Max, and Galaxy going away soon, I think Ford will build the next gen Edge in Spain for the European market.

19 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I though it was leaked the ST was getting the 3.0T

Yep... but we don't know how accurate is the leak.

Base engine 3.3 V6 (probably restricted to fleet is my guess)

Normal retail engine 2.3 EB

Retail option 3.3 hybrid

Platinum and ST 3.0 EB

Export only 3.0 EB PHEV

23 minutes ago, bzcat said:

2.3 doesn't buy you any significant tax advantage over 3.0. Most countries that have displacement based annual taxes cap it at 2.0 liter and the rate increase significantly above 2.0. So 2.3 and 3.0 will be in the same tax bracket, or both subject to significant penalties over 2.0. This is why I think rumors of 2.3 hybrid is a nothingburger. It doesn't make any sense. If Ford is going to bother with a hybrid setup for markets outside the US, it will be 2.0 or smaller.

Now, even if there is a 2.3 hybrid (or a new 2.0 hybrid for that matter), it sill be a transverse system and not necessarily competitor with Aviator or Explorer.

There is no 2.3L HEV planned at least not through 2020.  3.3L, 2.0L, 2.5L and 3.0T only.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

China goes up for every .5L from 1.0L. 1.0-1.5, 1.5-2.0, 2.0-2.5, 2.5-3.0, 3.0-4.0, 4.0+. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure the unibody is steel but most if not all the removable panels will be aluminum or plastic - like hood, roof, doors, and hatch. Seems like it is fairly standard now days. I think the current Explorer or the previous one had aluminum hood and plastic hatch.

On my BMW, I have plastic fender, aluminum hood, carbon fiber roof, and steel trunk.

On my Audi, it has aluminum hood and hatch, steel doors, glass/plastic roof (panoramic glass + plastic trim over steel unibody frame).

Edited by bzcat

3 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm sure the unibody is steel but most if not all the removable panels will be aluminum or plastic - like hood, roof, doors, and hatch. Seems like it is fairly standard now days. I think the current Explorer or the previous one had aluminum hood and plastic hatch.

On my BMW, I have plastic fender, aluminum hood, carbon fiber roof, and steel trunk.

On my Audi, it has aluminum hood and hatch, steel doors, glass/plastic roof (panoramic glass + plastic trim over steel unibody frame).

The outer shell of the MKC liftgate is aluminum and everything internal is steel. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo