2020 Lincoln Aviator Debuts

15 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The next Mustang (S650) is 2022, so we should see it in 2021.

CD6 is poised to be a fairly under-utilized platform, I actually don't know any other vehicles being developed on it besides Explorer and Aviator.  For that reason it's actually remarkable it exists at all.  I think this one might have slipped through and I think it was justified for Lincoln vehicles which appear to have been dropped at this point.  Edge and Nautilus are still on FWD architectures for 2023.  I was hoping Nautilus would go its own way on CD6.  The Mach1 team is not working on a Lincoln version at all at this point either.

I'm still very foggy on Lincoln, I have info on their new utilities through 2023 (including one that was suppose to be imported from China in 2023).  Lincoln's product load looks suspiciously light, but I hope they are developing stuff I can't see yet.  I know the tariffs have thrown their Chinese plans into turmoil.

The dealers seem to be getting some details I can't find anywhere else.  Specifically that they are going to produce a stretched 80th Anniversary Continental with suicide doors, limited run of 85 units (originally it was 250).  They've also been teasing design sketches of what appeared to be a sedan, but I looked at that presentation and it didn't confirm new sedans.  The follow-up presentation stopped referencing those design altogether. Joy talks about 4 New utilities, 3 of which I can identify as the Aviator, Corsair, and the 2023 compact utility intended for Chinese import.  

I think Nautilus should go to CD6 too - essentially just become a shortened 2-row Aviator (obviously styled differently).  And do something more bold with the design for it.

It seems odd that they'd develop this platform just to use it on only 2-3 products.

It also seems incredibly stupid not to give Lincoln an EV based on Mach 1.

• Like 1

Personally, I expect the Edge and Nautilus to go to CD6.  I've been thinking about the 2 different 8 speed transmissions, and it dawned on me a possible reason.  Maybe it was cheaper to make an 8 speed out of the 6 speed instead of out of the new GM JV for the higher output versions since it is only going to be around for a few years.  It's just to tide them over until the Edge/Nautilus are switched over to CD6 and the RWD 10 speed.

May not be true but sounded logical.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 12:51 PM, Assimilator said:

The new Mustang is much further out than 2020, should be here around 2022.  It should be arriving alongside the new F-150 as well.  Ford scrapped plans to develop cars on CD6 which doomed the Continental program alongside the Mustang, but they will be sharing many systems and modules.  

From today's Autoline Daily.  "Forecast Solutions" says the Mustang has been pushed back from March, 2022 to May, 2022.  The Continental will remain in production to the end of 2021.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I was talking with my wife about that yesterday. It seems the only thing Ford consistently puts 100% effort into is tricks.

Took me a couple of minutes to realize you meant trucks.

I would add to that Full sized and midsized SUVs and midsized crossovers (Edge/Nautilus).

Fusion was absolutely class leading for years and even now it's fully competitive with the other midsized sedans with the only problem being the sheetmetal is old.

I've also heard that Edge/MKX Nautilus stays FWD/AWD.   Disappointing.  But if they're going to do a hybrid version then it should move to C2 or CD6 since Ford said those would be the only platforms going forward.

And yes, I'm sure C2 can be made that big.  It's also supposed to be a modular architecture.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

I've also heard that Edge/MKX Nautilus stays FWD/AWD.   Disappointing.  But if they're going to do a hybrid version then it should move to C2 or CD6 since Ford said those would be the only platforms going forward.

And yes, I'm sure C2 can be made that big.  It's also supposed to be a modular architecture.

I think it was you that also speculated that all C2 really is is a front wheel drive version of CD6. Maybe internally they’re treating it as such anyway. 

41 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think it was you that also speculated that all C2 really is is a front wheel drive version of CD6. Maybe internally they’re treating it as such anyway. 

What I meant was that the rumored "all things to everyone" D6 FWD/RWD/AWD architecture that the press was talking about spawned 2 variants - C2 and CD6.   Both are created to accomodate electrification and I'm sure they share a lot of other stuff.  All of the new FWD products for NA will be on C2 in 3 plants (Louisville, Hermosillo and Cuatitlan) which should enable them to flex production between models.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

What I meant was that the rumored "all things to everyone" D6 FWD/RWD/AWD architecture that the press was talking about spawned 2 variants - C2 and CD6.   Both are created to accomodate electrification and I'm sure they share a lot of other stuff.  All of the new FWD products for NA will be on C2 in 3 plants (Louisville, Hermosillo and Cuatitlan) which should enable them to flex production between models.

Apparently Oakville will be C2 as well....

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I would add to that Full sized and midsized SUVs and midsized crossovers (Edge/Nautilus).

Fusion was absolutely class leading for years and even now it's fully competitive with the other midsized sedans with the only problem being the sheetmetal is old.

Ha.  I thought he legitimately meant tricks - like specialty models.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

That is disappointing - seems like a segment where you could get away with it without a tradeoff (not counting Explorer/Aviator now).....especially on the luxury side w/ Nautilus.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

From an article in Automotive News back in April:

The new architecture underpinning the Focus is flexible enough to encompass subcompacts such as the Fiesta as well as midsize models and crossovers such as the Edge and Escape, Bakaj told Automotive News at the global launch of the Focus here. "It's very scalable," said Bakaj (pronounced ba-KAI').

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180416/OEM04/180419836/ford-focus-holy-grail-platform

8 hours ago, akirby said:

“Fully competitive”? I suppose as long as you ignore powertrains. The Fusion is roughly 5 mpg less than Camry, Accord, Altima, and Malibu. Other than the limited volume Sport model, and swapping out the 1.6 for the similar 1.5, Ford has done nothing to upgrade the Fusion’s engines since the current car was introduced as a 2013 model and is using the same 6 speed auto. Everyone else  is a generation ahead in powertrains. 

On 11/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't mind having a fob. What I hate is the physical key my focus has. I'm cool with leaving a fob clipped to my belt with the rest of my keys since if nothing else when I go to work I need to have my hi-lo key on me. 

Call me old fashioned but phone as a key just isn't for me

Coming late to the party on this.
My thought if my phone can access it, then after a while, a malware, (or some other malicious software),  will gain access to my car.

43 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

“Fully competitive”? I suppose as long as you ignore powertrains. The Fusion is roughly 5 mpg less than Camry, Accord, Altima, and Malibu. Other than the limited volume Sport model, and swapping out the 1.6 for the similar 1.5, Ford has done nothing to upgrade the Fusion’s engines since the current car was introduced as a 2013 model and is using the same 6 speed auto. Everyone else  is a generation ahead in powertrains. 

I had forgotten how bad the fuel economy was/is on the Fusion (relatively speaking).  I retract my earlier comment.

20 minutes ago, jniffen said:

Coming late to the party on this.
My thought if my phone can access it, then after a while, a malware, (or some other malicious software),  will gain access to my car.

An idiot with a crowbar or a tow truck can get access to your car today without any technology.

Given that you have to authorize the phone it’s a lot more complicated than a little malware.

8 hours ago, CGIron said:

It would fit perfect in a F-150 as it´s spreadning in the Fords family. Good for Swedish Sintercast that has it´s CGI under the hood in this engine that originally came in 2017 just för Lincoln Continenal 

You’re getting really close to spammer status.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 10:43 AM, Assimilator said:

The next Mustang (S650) is 2022, so we should see it in 2021.

CD6 is poised to be a fairly under-utilized platform, I actually don't know any other vehicles being developed on it besides Explorer and Aviator.  For that reason it's actually remarkable it exists at all.  I think this one might have slipped through and I think it was justified for Lincoln vehicles which appear to have been dropped at this point.  Edge and Nautilus are still on FWD architectures for 2023.  I was hoping Nautilus would go its own way on CD6.  The Mach1 team is not working on a Lincoln version at all at this point either.

Initially, I thought that this might be a clever recycle of the Ford Aust Territory platform but a person I know although not attached to this project actually suggested that it looked a lot like an upgraded version of early 2000s Ford (DEW) with some obvious changes to make it much wider and new virtual link rear suspension.

If this was a clever redo of DEW that would mean it hasn't cost Ford as much as we think and could actually become the underpinnings of Explorer, Mustang,  maybe Edge and the accompanying Lincolns....perhaps a sedan will appear after all the other cars are culled, a give back if you will..

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Initially, I thought that this might be a clever recycle of the Ford Aust Territory platform but a person I know although not attached to this project actually suggested that it looked a lot like an upgraded version of early 2000s Ford (DEW) with some obvious changes to make it much wider and new virtual link rear suspension.

If this was a clever redo of DEW that would mean it hasn't cost Ford as much as we think and could actually become the underpinnings of Explorer, Mustang,  maybe Edge and the accompanying Lincolns....perhaps a sedan will appear after all the other cars are culled, a give back if you will..

As far as I know, S197 was a heavily revamped DEW.  S550 is a revised S197.  If CD6 looks anything like DEW, it is most likely a revised S550. 

2 hours ago, CurtisH said:

As far as I know, S197 was a heavily revamped DEW.  S550 is a revised S197.  If CD6 looks anything like DEW, it is most likely a revised S550. 

It started that way but when they were finished only the floor pan and fuel tank remained.  Front suspension, e.g., is completely different.

All I'm saying is what was shared with me, no it wouldn't be 20 year old DEW or Territory but those could be used as a brownfield start to lower the costs of the project instead of starting from scratch...also keep in mind this platform / RWD grouping has been hanging around for nearly 10 years.........it also has SLAS front suspension....

aviator-hybrid-1200x797.jpg

Edited by jpd80