2020 Lincoln Aviator Debuts

4 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Apologies for taking this off topic, but Ford originally stated the hybrid Mustang would be here for 2020.......I assumed that would be a '21MY. Given the most recent claims from earlier this year that S650 has been pushed back to 2022 ('23MY) this would indicate the hybrid Mustang would debut on the current S550 platform.  Is that an accurate prediction? :)

There is no way they will be able to shoehorn a battery into the current S550 platform 

Just now, silvrsvt said:

Which would indicate that the 2021 will be on the same platform as the Explorer/Avatior and not delayed according to Ford

Some say it's CD6 and some say it's a very heavily modified S550. I tend to believe it's CD6 myself. Either way I'm pretty sure it's new as either a 2021 or 2022. 

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Some say it's CD6 and some say it's a very heavily modified S550. I tend to believe it's CD6 myself. Either way I'm pretty sure it's new as either a 2021 or 2022. 

till we start getting more details on the CD6, it could be assumed the CD6 is nothing more then a highly modified S550 ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

till we start getting more details on the CD6, it could be assumed the CD6 is nothing more then a highly modified S550 ;)

To me that's a given.  No reason to start from scratch on a unibody RWD architecture when you already have one sitting there.  I'm sure it's a combination of S550 and CD4.

The only "Autopilot" feature I would like to see is one that one somehow automatically put on the blinkers when someone is going to turn.

There is one "T" intersection I have to commute through every day, and I swear half the people are either too lazy, or won't put down their coffee cup or cellphone to use the darn things. It gets frustrating when you know you would have had a chance to turn if not for these idiots.

53 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm surprised that there isn't some form of autopilot on the car. 

From the press release it has Traffic Jam Assist/Pilot but being that NA is sue crazy they will limit it not to allow total hands free operation, probably be similar to the Edge/Nautilus where you can go hands free for a bit. It is an Autoliv system so it could be pretty advanced what Lincoln/Ford Lawyers strip out of the system remains to be seen. It is nice to see the adaptive cruise will read speed limit signs and adjust accordingly however hopefully you can also program a speed over the programmed camera limit reading, If I were to drive 70 on the posted freeways around here I would be run into the ditch. 

27 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

From the press release it has Traffic Jam Assist/Pilot but being that NA is sue crazy they will limit it not to allow total hands free operation, probably be similar to the Edge/Nautilus where you can go hands free for a bit. It is an Autoliv system so it could be pretty advanced what Lincoln/Ford Lawyers strip out of the system remains to be seen. It is nice to see the adaptive cruise will read speed limit signs and adjust accordingly however hopefully you can also program a speed over the programmed camera limit reading, If I were to drive 70 on the posted freeways around here I would be run into the ditch. 

I'd settle for it just updating the displayed speed limit on the IP when navigation is out of date. 

But yes - adaptive cruise with the ability to set a certain speed above the posted limit would be nice.

17 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

lol I actually laughed when Lincoln rep said '450 pounds horsepower' in the reveal video I watched live. I knew she had meant to say 'pounds' only when revealing the torque but must have been so excited to reveal the power figures that she messed up.

She's the head of Lincoln haha, but seemed nervous.

17 hours ago, bzcat said:

I was at the press conference at LA Auto Show and there was a huge gasp from the crowd when they splashed the 600 lb-ft number on the big screen. People went nuts and started cheering and applauding. They had to stop the presentation for about 30 seconds for the crowd noise to level off.  And these were mostly jaded journalist and industry people (i.e. employees of other car companies and suppliers) 

Hmm didn't notice that in the video, but that's good that there was such a reaction.  Also, for what it's worth, Lincoln's website says "more than 450-hp and more than 600 lb-ft torque."

16 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

The video didn't stop at all from what I seen though it did get blurry at the beginning which I'm guessing was the connection buffering issue. I watched it on Lincoln's Facebook page so I'm wondering if perhaps Lincoln actually did the live reveal on a delay basis in case something happened like a tech glitch. So maybe the live delay was enough for them to do a quick edit to make it look like the presentation was seamless. Or I probably just didn't hear the cheers since Lincoln president Joy had been microphoned directly to the live video feed. I did noticed her mistake though when she spoke of power figures and said '450 pounds horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque'. lol

As for what a couple others said regarding the phone as key, I also don't like it. I'm glad that there will still be a traditional key fob offered though as well as the keypad on the driver door.

Yeah, I didn't see that in the stream either.

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Nothing is necessary, but you always have your phone in your pocket so there is no additional fob to worry about.  You can also authorize up to 4 phones whereas you only have 2 fobs.   E.g. you could leave your vehicle for someone else to pick up and just authorize their phone remotely.  Since you can start and drive the car without it in an emergency using a code there really isn’t a down side.  And it’s not susceptible to the current fob hacks.

I wonder how easy it'll be to "transfer" use of the phone access.  Meaning like you said, if you want to let someone borrow the car for a bit, can you send them access right away?

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would love to agree with you, but the way Ford packages their options there's going to be plenty of people stuck with it that don't want it because they dared to want something else. 

According to the Aviator page on their site, it's part of the "Convenience Package", which includes otherwise non-critical features:

Aviator Convenience Package includes Head-Up Display, Phone As A Key, Wireless Charging Pad, and Soft Close Doors with Light Touch Handle

3 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Honestly whenever someone has an issue with tech I try to think of all the reasons why, the "I dont want big brother to know", "I dont want aliens to control my car", "I dont want my wife to track me", I even spoke about this with a friend last night and I'm still not getting why it would be an issue for someone. I mean, if you want to carry a key in your pocket, I'm sure the traditional way will work. This is just another option. I know my phone is on me all the time, and I don't carry any keys anymore cept my car, so this would make it easier for me.  Is it an issue where your "trading cars" with your spouse or something?  or is it based on fear, "the boogie man will take my phone and run with my car?"  I'm sure for valets a traditional key will also be provided, because I surely don't expect anyone handing over their phone.

That's a good question about valets - I'm guessing there's a valet mode, and they'll have to enter a code for it?  It's not like you'll be carrying around a regular key just for valet use.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

That side profile is striking and yes, it looks great in white (which I don't usually say).

For me the blue/green color in the videos would be my choice.   However, if we get one it would be the wife's vehicle and she likes white.

It does look surprisingly good in white, and I usually find white boring.

Agree that blue/green color did look good!