Trump: Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra

Bryan1

Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including....

....for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) - don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!

Edited by Bryan1

Related story:

President Trump threatens to cut all GM subsidies after Lordstown announcement

Excerpt:

GM (GM) stock declined more than 3% and fell to session lows on the comments.

Trump's threat came a day after GM announced plans to cut 14,000 jobs and shut five facilities in North America including the plant in Lordstown, Ohio, dealing a blow to the president's promise to help auto workers. GM said the moves are designed to prepare the company for a future of driverless and electric vehicles. GM is also responding to a consumer shift away from sedans in favor of trucks and SUVs.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said at Tuesday's White House press briefing that he met with Barra on Monday to talk about the layoffs. "It's a great disappointment, obviously," he said.

Kudlow said the Trump administration will be looking into subsidies for "electric cars and others." He did not specify how much GM receives in federal subsidies.

"The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! Trump tweeted.

GM did not respond to a request for comment.

link: https://fox8.com/2018/11/27/president-trump-threatens-to-cut-all-gm-subsidies-after-lordstown-announcement/

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/michigan-democrats-threatening-to-pull-2-billion-tax-credits-from-gm

Michigan Democrats have introduced legislation to repeal $2 billion in tax credits for GM

Could this be the beginning of state and local politicians coming to their senses when it comes to tax credits and other "giveaways" to businesses?

2 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Could this be the beginning of state and local politicians coming to their senses when it comes to tax credits and other "giveaways" to businesses?

Nope. Politicians have short memories. They'll be right back to groveling at the feet of some large corporation promising jobs at the first chance they get. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

My opinion is that this is a ploy going into negotiations with UAW and UNIFOR to wring more concessions out of the next contract with the threat to close plants...right now, they are "only" un-allocated after 2019....guess what is looming in the interim??

I can see one plant being "saved" during the negotiations, but I doubt that all of them will be saved. Most likely three plants are going to close no matter what, one is marginal, and one will receive a product allocation to allow the UAW to save face during the negotiations.

The bottom line is that Mary Barra is no Rick Wagoner. She isn't waiting until the wolf is at the door to make necessary changes, or relying on GM's past glories to paper over current challenges.

Edited by grbeck

I find the timing of this to be of upmost interest...mary barra is a wonderful progressive who at one time was considered a possible vp pick by that women who has coughing fits and would have given us free stuff...does barra care about any of this????....of course not its share the wealth and share the pain..its almost as if berra has the same stone cold heart as her political super hero....but they promised me free stuff and the uaw cares...

For shame a business be allowed to make decisions based on its own capital insterests instead of the politicians who don't have to pay their voters.  I thought we were living in America, but perhaps threatening and villifying an American company for political gain is what people really want now.  I mean obviously it's a liberal conspiracy by Mary Bara to fix the November election....oh wait.  

Edited by Assimilator

1 hour ago, akirby said:

If you take a government bailout and 10 years later you're taking government subsidies (which I didn't realize) then government should have a say in how you operate your business.

If you don't want government involved then don't take their money.

Exactly, Wall Street investors get a say....

3 hours ago, akirby said:

If you take a government bailout and 10 years later you're taking government subsidies (which I didn't realize) then government should have a say in how you operate your business.

If you don't want government involved then don't take their money.

Governments around the world will have a say in how the automotive industry operates no matter what. Automobiles are among the most regulated consumer and industrial products out there.

Edited by rperez817