New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Bob Rosadini

Transit 250 LWB Lift

Question

At my pals shop this AM and he is cursing Ford.  He has three post lifts and claims you can't put a LWB Transit on a post lift.  I find that hard to believe.  True?  By the way, this Transit is a 2015 with 41,000 miles and alternator failed-or so all the codes indicated. Batteries are located under drivers seat.  So to access them, you unbolt seat, then a heavy bracket that retains them.   This thing is a 3.7 and the alternator is 230A!  

So,  true on the lift issue?   and I guess alternator is 36,000 or 3 yrs?  And by the way after all that of replacing the alternator, codes still indicate same problem.   The owner of this van is a mechanical contractor ( commercial boilers etc) and was always an E series fleet until he bought his first Nissan2500-the RWD E series look alike.  I think he has two of those and this Transit was his first Ford since he bought the Nissans.

6 answers to this question

He has the wrong lift. Rotary 12k lb symmetrical with 3 piece arms do just fine.  

Whose alternator are they using? DO NOT USE FORD/MOTORCRAFT. If he is, keep installing them till you get a good one. That is, if he properly diagnosed it. 

Edited by YT90SC

On 11/30/2018 at 1:16 PM, YT90SC said:

He has the wrong lift. Rotary 12k lb symmetrical with 3 piece arms do just fine.  

Whose alternator are they using? DO NOT USE FORD/MOTORCRAFT. If he is, keep installing them till you get a good one. That is, if he properly diagnosed it. 

Hah-guess what, the alternator he installed was a "junk yard"-not sure if LKQ-I saw it on bench and it had "official ID tags" if you get my point-it was not out of some barnyard-in any case it was bad.  Went through all that shit again and put a new one in-not sure if it was Motorcraft or not.  Also learned, the day I was there I'm looking under hood and right side of compartment was an oily mess.  I pulled the dipstick and it looked good.  Pulled master cyl. cap and it was good.  I was told the other day that someone had left the oil fill cap off-and that is where the mess originated.  Thinking is that somehow this oil "mist" damaged the alternator.  Possible or BS?

It is possible, I suppose. Vulcans used to have real issues with oil contamination killing starters. 

Before I would swap alternators, he needs to do a "deep dive" on the charging system.  Not simple and you probably really DO need a scope.

Ford "Smart Charge System" Alternator Not Charging

Edited by theoldwizard

23 hours ago, YT90SC said:

It is possible, I suppose. Vulcans used to have real issues with oil contamination killing starters. 

Here are a couple of Vulcans discussing that topic and pondering the value of Motorcraft starters....

Image result for Vulcan

Wizard, no labscope needed. Short GENMON to GENCOM, and watch live data for those PIDs when started. They will rise and fall and mirror each other if the wiring and PCM are ok. From that point, its just a "standard" charging system. All the "old" testing applies.