This car is trying my patience

Anthony

Driving home in the pouring rain tonight, the Focus decided to give me transmission issues....again.

Driving along and suddenly I lost all forward momentum (just revved when pressing on the gas pedal).  A warning message popped up "Hill Start Assist is not available." (I don't think I even have that option?)

I Shut off the car.  Would not restart on the first try, but it started again the second try...now with a check engine light to boot.

In the span of one hour, this happened 4 times.  In the middle of a downpour.  In heavy traffic.

Got home and checked codes:  

• U0101 - lost communication with TCM
  • P0884 - TCM Power Input Signal Intermittent

Love this car, but holy hell it is an unreliable POS.

Burn baby burn!  (I’m sitting on a packed MTA train writing this  LOL )

I was able to limp it to the dealer by my work. They didn’t close for another ten minutes but still didn’t bother checking it in. They had me fill out an “after hours drop off “ slip because they wanted to go home. Service at it’s best!

All I want for Christmas is a manual transmission retrofit kit! ?

10 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Burn baby burn!  (I’m sitting on a packed MTA train writing this  LOL )

I was able to limp it to the dealer by my work. They didn’t close for another ten minutes but still didn’t bother checking it in. They had me fill out an “after hours drop off “ slip because they wanted to go home. Service at it’s best!

All I want for Christmas is a manual transmission retrofit kit! ?

If you're gonna go that route get a 6 speed from a ST/RS

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

All I want for Christmas is a manual transmission retrofit kit! 

Almost did that on my wife’s beetle convertible - there was a guy who would retrofit the manual from a diesel for a third the cost of replacing the auto - but I didn’t want a Frankenstein vehicle.

If I was going to keep it as a spare car I might have, but not as a daily driver. 

• 2 months later...

After putting up with DCT, got rid of mine, was going to be the 4th repair, and no "settlement" from class action.

I take back all the posts sticking up for the car.

Sure, Ford wants buyers to trade up to UV's, but they still should have dropped the DCT as soon as 2012, and used hydraulic 6 speed.

If have issues with a car, many will switch brands, and not bother getting Ford truck/Ute. Did they not think that through?

Edited by 630land

29 minutes ago, 630land said:

After putting up with DCT, got rid of mine, was going to be the 4th repair, and no "settlement" from class action.

I take back all the posts sticking up for the car.

Sure, Ford wants buyers to trade up to UV's, but they still should have dropped the DCT as soon as 2012, and used hydraulic 6 speed.

If have issues with a car, many will switch brands, and not bother getting Ford truck/Ute. Did they not think that through?

Yup, transmission was worst than the spitting spark plugs in the F150.

23 minutes ago, 630land said:

I went with another brand, but wont say. Family members have good luck with their Fords; Escapes, MTX Fiesta, old Focus.

I don’t blame you. That Focus transmission was a major misstep for Ford, which I don’t think was handled well by Ford. They didn’t mitigate it in any significant way IMO and it will cost them in repeat customers, reputation, and financially. 

Edited by tbone

Sister had her 2003 Focus since new, and traded in on Escape. Never had issues with the "old fashioned" 4 speed auto.

Kept hearing "The DCT's are fixed now", and got a 2014. was ok, until 2016, and then had fixed 3 times under warranty and once out of it.  Was acting up again last summer, and I came into $$ and dumped it. Got shit resale. Buit not worried about it anymore. Miss the handling, but not the crap.

I didn't want a truck or Ute, and call me old fashioned. But at same time, got used car, enough of paying for depreciation.

Edited by 630land

I got exactly what I expected for mine in trade in.  $4.5k.  That’s with 63k miles and an accident under its belt that showed up on Carfax. I was fine with that.

That was by far the worst car I’ve ever owned and I didn’t shed a tear as I drive away with it in my rear view mirror. 

• Like 1