New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

MY93SHO

Rivian R1T electric pickup

18 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

The geniuses at Toyota came up with that odd, but successful direction when designing the Prius.  I remember reading, and I paraphrase - "...we don't care if it is perceived as ugly, just as long as it looks like nothing else on the road..."  - Brilliant, and is sure worked!

But Prius sales have been going down for the past couple years also...

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yes sir, they're dropped a lot in the U.S. The steepest declines recently took place a year after the 4th gen Prius was introduced (2016-2017), and in January 2019 before the refreshed MY 2019 Prius started arriving at dealerships.

prius_monthly_sales.png

Looks like they just took the old 2004 Bronco concept then went to town. Looks ridiculous.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:49 AM, silvrsvt said:

So, after fifteen or more years, the car buying public figured out the Prius was ugly? 

You totally missed the point,  The Prius was/is a success in spite of questionable styling, because being conspicuous is more important to that customer than handsome styling. The designers of this truck are going with that notion.

16 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

So, after fifteen or more years, the car buying public figured out the Prius was ugly? 

You totally missed the point,  The Prius was/is a success in spite of questionable styling, because being conspicuous is more important to that customer than handsome styling. The designers of this truck are going with that notion.

Not at all. The issue is that it sold alright for what is was, but between taste changes and more competition, it’s sales fell. 

At the rate Tesla and Riven are going, Ford will have a BEV CUV and Truck to compete that won’t look redictious at the same time. 

17 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

This truck is nowhere near Prius level ugly.

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Not at all. The issue is that it sold alright for what is was, but between taste changes and more competition, it’s sales fell. 

At the rate Tesla and Riven are going, Ford will have a BEV CUV and Truck to compete that won’t look redictious at the same time. 

Truck customers - or I should say "core" truck customers - are different too - they're not going to want a bizarre design.  Sure, a bizarre design may pull some non-truck customers, but in general, the truck guys like a traditional look.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/12/gm-talks-rivian-may-be-dead/

GM will not follow Amazon's lead and take an equity stake in fledgling electric vehicle company Rivian after talks reached an impasse. So says Bloomberg, citing unnamed sources who are familiar with the matter and say the negotiations may be dead.

GM was widely believed to be right in line with Amazon, which in February made a $700 million investment in Rivian. But the talks reportedly trickled off in the past couple weeks, leaving GM on its own to develop an electric pickup truck if it doesn't find a way to rekindle the discussions. 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

One possible reason for this is that GM decided to design & develop its battery electric pickup truck completely in-house, rather than using Rivian technology.

As the article mentioned, GM's decision probably won't impact Rivian at all. They have plenty of other investors.

I'm still betting on Ford as the first company to put a pure battery electric pickup truck into production. 

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

I'm still betting on Ford as the first company to put a pure battery electric pickup truck into production. 

They sure did...back in 1998 to 2002.

Image result for ford ranger ev