Rivian R1T electric pickup

MY93SHO

18 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

The geniuses at Toyota came up with that odd, but successful direction when designing the Prius.  I remember reading, and I paraphrase - "...we don't care if it is perceived as ugly, just as long as it looks like nothing else on the road..."  - Brilliant, and is sure worked!

But Prius sales have been going down for the past couple years also...

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yes sir, they're dropped a lot in the U.S. The steepest declines recently took place a year after the 4th gen Prius was introduced (2016-2017), and in January 2019 before the refreshed MY 2019 Prius started arriving at dealerships.

prius_monthly_sales.png

On 3/16/2019 at 5:49 AM, silvrsvt said:

So, after fifteen or more years, the car buying public figured out the Prius was ugly? 

You totally missed the point,  The Prius was/is a success in spite of questionable styling, because being conspicuous is more important to that customer than handsome styling. The designers of this truck are going with that notion.

16 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

So, after fifteen or more years, the car buying public figured out the Prius was ugly? 

You totally missed the point,  The Prius was/is a success in spite of questionable styling, because being conspicuous is more important to that customer than handsome styling. The designers of this truck are going with that notion.

Not at all. The issue is that it sold alright for what is was, but between taste changes and more competition, it’s sales fell. 

At the rate Tesla and Riven are going, Ford will have a BEV CUV and Truck to compete that won’t look redictious at the same time. 

17 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

This truck is nowhere near Prius level ugly.

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Not at all. The issue is that it sold alright for what is was, but between taste changes and more competition, it’s sales fell. 

At the rate Tesla and Riven are going, Ford will have a BEV CUV and Truck to compete that won’t look redictious at the same time. 

Truck customers - or I should say "core" truck customers - are different too - they're not going to want a bizarre design.  Sure, a bizarre design may pull some non-truck customers, but in general, the truck guys like a traditional look.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/12/gm-talks-rivian-may-be-dead/

GM will not follow Amazon's lead and take an equity stake in fledgling electric vehicle company Rivian after talks reached an impasse. So says Bloomberg, citing unnamed sources who are familiar with the matter and say the negotiations may be dead.

GM was widely believed to be right in line with Amazon, which in February made a $700 million investment in Rivian. But the talks reportedly trickled off in the past couple weeks, leaving GM on its own to develop an electric pickup truck if it doesn't find a way to rekindle the discussions. 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

One possible reason for this is that GM decided to design & develop its battery electric pickup truck completely in-house, rather than using Rivian technology.

As the article mentioned, GM's decision probably won't impact Rivian at all. They have plenty of other investors.

I'm still betting on Ford as the first company to put a pure battery electric pickup truck into production. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ford loves to tease with concepts that never make it into major production. I put this in the same class as the Mach1 EV. Beautiful but probably will be very limited production and miss the introduction date if there is one.

8 hours ago, mlhm5 said:

Ford loves to tease with concepts that never make it into major production. I put this in the same class as the Mach1 EV. Beautiful but probably will be very limited production and miss the introduction date if there is one.

They stopped doing that ten years ago.  Wake up.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, mlhm5 said:

What are you talking about?  The last concepts like that were the Interceptor and MKR in 2007.  They did have the Evos, but that was a design preview for Fusion.  Atlas was an F-150 with a different name to be a "concept".  They don't show outlandish concepts anymore.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

What are you talking about?  The last concepts like that were the Interceptor and MKR in 2007.  They did have the Evos, but that was a design preview for Fusion.  Atlas was an F-150 with a different name to be a "concept".  They don't show outlandish concepts anymore.

The last one I can remember was 2015 Edge and 2016 MKX

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The last one I can remember was 2015 Edge and 2016 MKX

He was talking about concepts that never make it to production like the Interceptor and MKR.  Not pre production previews of actual models.

They might sell more then you think. Ford, GM and FCA sell hundreds of thousands of full-sized pickups in the $50-75k market and the proces are only going up quickly. Isn't the F-150 trim level mix at like 50% King Ranch, Platinum and Limited trim levels? Those start above $50k right now. I'd say there is room in this market for high priced pickups. Now of course will these customers even go for an EV pickup or a new brand? That's the real question. I do think you'll find more resistance here then you would in the EV passenger car market.