Rivian R1T electric pickup

MY93SHO

22 minutes ago, twintornados said:

It had better share major components from F150 to assist in amortization of costs. 

I'm sure the sheet metal and interior are all the same but they need a new frame to accomodate the batteries without eating into the cab or bed space.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Maybe within the very small BEV market.

Yes sir, that's what I meant. Rivian has the potential to be a serious player in the BEV segment generally, and BEV pickup trucks specifically. If they do well there, Rivian has the potential to become a serious player in the automotive industry overall in the next couple decades as electrified vehicles become mainstream.

15 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Ford's F-150 EV is called "Project Zeus", I'm told it's on a custom platform rather than a retrofit.  It's obviously an important product for them as you can imagine.  

Hmmm....interesting.

I wonder if it'll have a separate order guide..... :stirpot:

I couldn't help myself...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Hmmm....interesting.

I wonder if it'll have a separate order guide..... :stirpot:

I couldn't help myself...

I think it would be downright stupid for Ford not to be looking at an Electric F-150....they did have an Electric Ranger years ago. 

Depending on the timing, this might be DOA if an electric F-150 comes to market in the next 36 months.

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

I think it would be downright stupid for Ford not to be looking at an Electric F-150....they did have an Electric Ranger years ago. 

Depending on the timing, this might be DOA if an electric F-150 comes to market in the next 36 months.

...and a companion Ranger EV coming would be a good idea. 

Just now, silvrsvt said:

I'm sure they'll get some people to buy it - the Ridgeline type people - that want a truck but not a truck if that makes any sense.  But I can't see this taking any sort of significant chunk out of the current big players.  It'll have its following, while the general public will stick with the main players.

Borg has been saying for a while that Ford has been working on an electric one, and presumably around 2020?  That's when this Rivian is set to arrive.

Here's the R1S now:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/27/2021-rivian-r1s-electric-suv/

6f896c60-f276-11e8-bfef-9a104a7744ec

Rivian R1S electric SUV

Rivian also claims great on-road handling due to its fully independent suspension at all four corners. An air suspension system allows for real time adjustments in ride quality and ride height. Towing is limited to 7,716 pounds, which is a step back from the truck's 11,000 pound rating, but still pretty good. Overall range is a step above the truck too. Rivian claims the 180 kWh version will get at least 410 miles of range. From there, the 135 kWh version can go about 310 miles and the 105 kWh goes 240 miles. All those figures are 10 more miles each than what the truck can do, which is most likely just a factor of aerodynamics.

Level three autonomous driving will be standard for all Rivian vehicles, including the R1S. Both the truck and SUV will use a combination of lidar, radar, ultrasonic and GPS to make that possible. This ability allows Rivian to include all the normal active driver assistance features on many new cars today. Rivian also says it expects its cars to be an IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus recipient and receive a 5-Star NHTSA crash test rating.

Keep in mind the truck is a good bit larger than the Rivian SUV. Overall length drops about 15 inches and the wheelbase is shortened a similar amount on the closed roof vehicle. For reference, this SUV is about the same exact length as a Ford Explorer. It will be expensive, though. The R1S is slated to start at $72,500 for the smallest battery pack version. However, you'll only be able to buy the large battery pack versions at the beginning, which will bring the price well above $90,000, according to Rivian's estimates. You're able to reserve either a truck or SUV now for a refundable deposit of $1,000. Rivian says it expects to start shipping vehicles to customers sometime in 2020.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

See Assimilator's previous post, the BEV F-150 is called "Project Zeus."

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, T-dubz said:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/gm-eyeing-rivian-electric-pickup-itll-beat-amazon-first/

looks like GM and amazon are thinking about purchasing a stake in rivian

Amazon investment of $700M into Rivian Automotive confirmed on February 15. https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/15/amazon-leads-700-million-investment-into-electric-pickup-truck-startup-rivian/

Edited by rperez817

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a Ford truck guy through and through, but I find this truck to be interesting, and it has some pretty nice features. It will be interesting to see Ford’s response to this truck. 

I could see GM trying to buy them out to catch up, since you never hear anything about their electric truck plans. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 7:40 AM, twintornados said:

The floors are made of tough rubber rather than carpet, and the seats are covered in a tough but soft woven vinyl fabric called Chilewich

I would love to be able to get a truck with interior materials well thought our, rather than just trying to make them luxurious.  A winter proof, mud proof, camping proof, and especially DOG proof interior is my number one priority in buying a truck. 

Nothing worse than seeing man's best friend get all exited about a ride to the dog park, and scratch/tear up all that expensive leather that I wish I didn't have in the first place.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:47 PM, msm859 said:

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder - that thing is ugly.

The geniuses at Toyota came up with that odd, but successful direction when designing the Prius.  I remember reading, and I paraphrase - "...we don't care if it is perceived as ugly, just as long as it looks like nothing else on the road..."  - Brilliant, and is sure worked!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I’m a Ford truck guy through and through, but I find this truck to be interesting, and it has some pretty nice features. It will be interesting to see Ford’s response to this truck

I could see GM trying to buy them out to catch up, since you never hear anything about their electric truck plans. 

So who do they buy to get gas model plans?

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

So who do they buy to get gas model plans?

Good point!  I never did like any of the chrome laden models of the new Chevy, but I didn’t mind the monochrome versions. With that said, I have now seen a number of them in the wild and I have since changed my mind. But in person, It is a very oddly proportioned vehicle with weird lines. If I were a Chevy guy, I would have to pass up the Chevy dealer and drive straight to the GMC dealership. The Sierra is at least tolerable.  

• Like 1