Rivian R1T electric pickup

MY93SHO

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/26/rivian-r1t-electric-truck-400-mile-range-supercar-acceleration/

We'll set aside the wild-for-a-pickup styling to tell you some of the vital stats of this all-electric pickup truck. It starts with a staggering 400-plus mile range from a 180 kWh battery pack. That's a massive amount of range with a gigantic battery pack. The other number with shock value is its three second 0-60 mph time. It's a strange world we're living in when a truck somehow manages to turn in acceleration times akin to supercars. Charging from empty to 80 percent takes 50 minutes on a DC fast charger, according to Rivian. And this being a truck, it also has an 11,000-pound towing capacity. How far you're able to drive with that much weight hanging out the back is another question entirely.

rivian-r1t-reveal-2.jpgrivian-r1t-reveal-2.jpgrivian-2.jpgrivian-r1t-reveal-1.jpg

Very cool. If Rivian can mass produce the R1T before Tesla, Ford, GM, etc. get their pure EV pickup trucks ready, they will become a serious player in the automotive industry.

Rivian purchased the former Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) Manufacturing Division plant in Central Illinois last year. https://insideevs.com/electric-vehicle-startup-rivian-automotive-purchases-former-mitsubishi-factory/

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Very cool. If Rivian can mass produce the R1T before Tesla, Ford, GM, etc. get their pure EV pickup trucks ready, they will become a serious player in the automotive industry.

Doubtful.  I just don't see full-sized pickup truck buyers (among the most loyal in the industry) trading in their vehicles and buying an unknown brand like Rivian, which doesn't even have a dealer body in place.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Serious player?  Seriously?

You guys can scoff but there is a large potential fleet market for this exact truck. Rivian is pretty smart to focus on pickup trucks because the traditional players are several years behind, like they were when Tesla came out with Model S.

Rivian is a serious company... not another those Chinese backed ponzi scheme. They have a factory already setup for volume production and lots of Tier 1 suppliers. So it's similar to Tesla in strategy but totally different in execution - it is operating within the exiting automotive ecosystem rather than trying to disrupt it (if you call building cars in a tent a disruption... ? ) and their CEO is not a crazed egomaniac like Musk.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, bzcat said:

You guys can scoff but there is a large potential fleet market for this exact truck. Rivian is pretty smart to focus on pickup trucks because the traditional players are several years behind, like they were when Tesla came out with Model S.

Rivian is a serious company... not another those Chinese backed ponzi scheme. They have a factory already setup for volume production and lots of Tier 1 suppliers. So it's similar to Tesla in strategy but totally different in execution - it is operating within the exiting automotive ecosystem rather than trying to disrupt it (if you call building cars in a tent a disruption... ? ) and their CEO is not a crazed egomaniac like Musk.

Yes, a potential fleet market for a $70,000+ truck...

I'm not saying electric trucks don't/won't have a place, but this truck is not it, at least in any configuration they debuted.

From the autoblog article:

Final pricing for the R1T isn't available, but Rivian gave us some estimates. There are going to be three different battery pack sizes: 180 kWh, 135 kWh and 105 kWh. The best range and highest powered version will be around $90,000, whereas the cheapest one will be nearing $70,000. Range on the smallest battery pack truck is projected to be about 230miles, and the truck in the middle will be about 300 miles. Rivian says that even the slowest version of the truck will get to 60 mph in under five seconds. We don't know what trim levels will be available now, but there will be different trims upon release. One of them will be a "Marathon" version, which has the big 400-mile-plus range but doesn't have the expensive options. This truck will reportedly start under $90,000.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

What RMC said.  This will be an expensive truck with a tiny bed.    I can’t think of any scenarios where a PHEV Transit Connect wouldn’t be half the cost or less and work just as well if not better for fleet use.  It will end up being a niche product which is why I scoffed at saying it would be a “serious player”.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Serious player?  Seriously?

Yes sir. R1T will be part of two of the biggest growth segments in the automotive industry now and in the near future: 1. High-end pickup trucks. 2. Electrified vehicles.  

Of course, Rivian's success with R1T will depend on how well and how quickly they can engineer, manufacture, and market it. But they certainly have the potential to be a serious player. As bzcat said, Rivian is a company to be taken seriously.

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. R1T will be part of two of the biggest growth segments in the automotive industry now and in the near future: 1. High-end pickup trucks. 2. Electrified vehicles.  

Of course, Rivian's success with R1T will depend on how well and how quickly they can engineer, manufacture, and market it. But they certainly have the potential to be a serious player. As bzcat said, Rivian is a company to be taken seriously.

They may become an established player, but serious player - no.  The big 3 won't allow that.

That said, the more I see it, the more I like the design, and it does have some neat features.  Some of the specs are hard to believe, though.  And it sounds like it'll be 2020 before it's out.

I actually like the exterior design a lot, the interior, less so, but $70,000?  I'm trying to figure out what the market is for this vehicle.  It looks like this is a "designer" truck meant for people of wealth.  It is not a truck for the working man.

As an aside, a local contractor is building  new house about a mile from our home.  The parking lot for the workers is filled with beat-up old F-150's, Chevys and Rams.  Most are more than ten years old.  The Rivian is not meant for them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

It looks like this is a "designer" truck meant for people of wealth.  It is not a truck for the working man.

As an aside, a local contractor is building  new house about a mile from our home.  The parking lot for the workers is filled with beat-up old F-150's, Chevys and Rams.  Most are more than ten years old.  The Rivian is not meant for them.

You are correct mackinaw sir. People like me who use pickup trucks for work aren't who Rivian will be targeting with the R1T. 

In the past few years, expensive pickup trucks have become big time status symbols. Wealthy people in large metro areas are replacing luxury sedans with high-end pickup trucks, even if they rarely or never use the trucks for towing, hauling dirty loads, etc. R1T should fit nicely into this fast growing market. https://carbuzz.com/news/luxury-car-owners-continue-swapping-sedans-for-american-pickup-trucks 

You know, I really like it, I'm shocked really.  

Ford does have a full F-150 BEV arriving with the next-gen truck, alongside the 3.5L HEV.  I'm not sure F-150 will ever look like a dedicated EV truck however.  Ford is HIGHLY incentivized to move boldly on EV trucks, I wouldn't bank on anybody else right now.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Ford does have a full F-150 BEV arriving with the next-gen truck, alongside the 3.5L HEV.  I'm not sure F-150 will ever look like a dedicated EV truck however.  Ford is HIGHLY incentivized to move boldly on EV trucks, I wouldn't bank on anybody else right now.  

It's great to have competition between the new kids like Tesla and Rivian, and the incumbents like Ford and GM. It will be exciting to see what all of the contenders have to offer in the next few years with pure EV pickup trucks.

Fastest growing segment?   If I go from 100 vehicles per year up to 17,000 per year then that might be considered the fastest growing segment but in reality it still would only represent 1/1000 of the total market.  Sorry but that’s not a “serious player” in the automotive world.  Maybe within the very small BEV market.