GM to close Oshawa (Canada) plant

fuzzymoomoo

14 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

You were never going to get politicians to sign on to what they got if they closed a bunch more plants. Janeseville wasn't official closed until well after 2009. It was "Mothballed" 

That was my other thought-that they wouldn't sign off on that politcially 

15 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Janeseville wasn't official closed until well after 2009. It was "Mothballed" 

Due to delays remediating water and ground contamination at the site, demolition of GM Janesville Assembly didn't start until earlier this year. https://www.cdcco.com/press-release/commercial-development-company-inc-begins-demolition-at-former-general-motors-janesville-assembly-plant/

Janesville-Demolition-1.jpg

As hyper critical as I have been of Ford and their management lately, GM's announcement today once again (selfishly) made me glad I work there and not for GM or FCA. 

As unfortunate as it is for everyone effected by it, Ford closed the right amount of plants from 2005-2012. GM didn't and honestly even 3-4 years ago I had a feeling they would need to close more at some point. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Cadillac XTS 

Cadillac CT6 

Chevy Impala

Chevy Volt

Chevy Cruze sedan

Buick LaCrosse

Thats a pretty significant chunk of product-plus they are closing 2 additional plants overseas on top of the plant they closing in Canada.

I'm assuming that Caddy's car lineup with shink down to a CTS and maybe a smaller then CTS product at the same plant that that they make the Camaro at?

The Volt is kinda suprising-unless its getting moved some place else.

Will CT6 just be imported from China?   Or is it dying altogether?

54 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Assume it will be a China only though it could just be dead after this generation. 

I have a feeling contracts next year are going to be rough. This was GM's way of saying to the Union you're not saving these plants just get a good separation deal at the end.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Due to delays remediating water and ground contamination at the site, demolition of GM Janesville Assembly didn't start until earlier this year. https://www.cdcco.com/press-release/commercial-development-company-inc-begins-demolition-at-former-general-motors-janesville-assembly-plant/

Janesville-Demolition-1.jpg

The machinery doing the demolition speaks volumes...where were they made??

I really hope that GM, the UAW, and Ohio/Michigan politicians can walk into contract negotiations next year willing to all make concessions in order to keep these plants open. It's discouraging to see all of the political fingerpointing thus far (reactions) instead of putting together proactive plans to preserve these jobs.

6 minutes ago, DequindreToo said:

I really hope that GM, the UAW, and Ohio/Michigan politicians can walk into contract negotiations next year willing to all make concessions in order to keep these plants open. It's discouraging to see all of the political fingerpointing thus far (reactions) instead of putting together proactive plans to preserve these jobs.

Politicians have absolutely nothing to do with UAW negotiations

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DequindreToo said:

What concessions would that be? Pay no tax? Massive Pay/Benefit cuts?  Only thing elected officials could do to stimulate the market is mandate vehicle inspections and increase tax fuel and implement a yearly displacement tax which would help cars but put the people that build trucks on the street. Elected officials want to be re-elected so none of that will happen. 

Like fuzzy said Politicians are not in negotiations, nor do you ever want them to be. Free market will decide what it wants.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DequindreToo said:

Given the state of affairs, there' essentially 2 things politicians could do to impact GM's plans here. One would be to drive materials costs down by ending the tariff war, the other would be to offer infrastructure/recapitalization loans (or at least gov-backed loans) to pay for modernizing and retooling the plants to produce the vehicles GM needs to sell. Since neither is likely (and both would probably need to happen for it to work), finger-pointing is what we get. Tax breaks and photo ops with His Orangeness aren't gonna keep those plants open, and nobody's going to quasi-nationalize the company by passing laws forbidding the closing of plants.

Edited by Moosetang

23 hours ago, rmc523 said:

What a shocker!, OTOH this was predicted a year ago, Sonic, Regal Malibu will still be available for sedan buyers. Small word I'm hearing is CT6 will join the Alpha cars at LGR plant but nothing certain now after next year's union negotiations.

On 11/26/2018 at 2:25 PM, silvrsvt said:

Did some digging around and Komastsu has quite few US plants...

And the tundra is as american as the f150 cause its built in texas.....komatsu demolishing a gm plant....brings a smile to me on some levels...when are they ever going to learn

We all saw this coming the moment GM started walking away from fleet sales, none of those plants had enough production capacity to sustain them and GM knew that way back when Barra was first appointed. So this has been the long game, no consolidation, no saving of jobs except for last minute tokenage in front of the next UAW agreement. This is GM at its savage immoral best,  deliberately letting plants and people go down the gurgler.

44 minutes ago, mustang let back said:

To say the tundra is as american as the f150  is beyond preposterous.?

It's the best outcome though, they build local plants and employ Americans to get around the smear of being foreign imports and import tariffs. Their biggest gift is all the  business activity and jobs that North American production generates, the more money they spend locally the better.

Edited by jpd80