GM to close Oshawa (Canada) plant

fuzzymoomoo

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

That is bad news for sure...I would understand if they only made the Impala and XTS there, but they make trucks there too....are GM truck sales tanking that badly?

Producing trucks there was a bone GM threw the Union to end their strike in 2016. They really didn't need another plant for trucks even back then.

I thought more about it last night since I posted this. I can see this being the first of several plant closings. GM has a TON of underutilized plants right now. I could see them closing Delta Township and Lordstown once the UAW contract expires next year. Both of those are very redundant plants, especially Lordstown.

3 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Looking at today's Automotive News, GM also may close Lordstown and Hamtramck.  Several models may be on the chopping block too:  Chevy Volt, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6 and XTS, Chevy Impala and Sonic.

If anything I could see them keeping D-Ham and consolidating most all sedan production there, and keeping Lansing Grand River for Alpha cars.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought more about it last night since I posted this. I can see this being the first of several plant closings. GM has a TON of underutilized plants right now. I could see them closing Delta Township and Lordstown once the UAW contract expires next year. Both of those are very redundant plants, especially Lordstown.

The plant closings next year (in both Canada and the US) will become crazy political. The Loss of vehicle and parts manufacturing in Canada has been staggering over the past 20 years.

Interesting that the Cadillac CT6 may be on the chopping block. That is the very type of vehicle - a large, rear-wheel-drive passenger car - that Lincoln is supposed to be building, according to the internet experts. Yes, the Lincoln Continental is also most likely going away, but I seriously doubt that Ford invested as much to bring the Continental to market as Cadillac did for the CT6.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, grbeck said:

Interesting that the Cadillac CT6 may be on the chopping block. That is the very type of vehicle - a large, rear-wheel-drive passenger car - that Lincoln is supposed to be building, according to the internet experts. Yes, the Lincoln Continental is also most likely going away, but I seriously doubt that Ford invested as much to bring the Continental to market as Cadillac did for the CT6.

100%, Though this isn't just a GM thing. VW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc are all going to be eliminating models from their line up. What is going to be interesting is the Aviator vs the XT6. 

Cadillac XTS 

Cadillac CT6 

Chevy Impala

Chevy Volt

Chevy Cruze sedan

Buick LaCrosse

Thats a pretty significant chunk of product-plus they are closing 2 additional plants overseas on top of the plant they closing in Canada.

I'm assuming that Caddy's car lineup with shink down to a CTS and maybe a smaller then CTS product at the same plant that that they make the Camaro at?

The Volt is kinda suprising-unless its getting moved some place else.

Update (Nov. 26, 2018 10:50 A.M. EST): It is official. A GM spokesperson told Jalopnik over the phone: “We are ending production of the Volt March 1, 2019.” When asked whether the Volt will return at some point, the representative said she could not comment on future products.

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm very surprised they’re closing D-Ham. That plant is not very old. 

Isn't this what was once called the Poletown Plant?  Talk about a political hot potato back in the 1980's.  Lot of homes torn down and families displaced to build this plant.

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Hatchback comes from Mexico, so you'd be correct.

Anyone else get the feeling they should have done this 10 years ago when they went through BK?

Yep. Been saying it for years now. I still feel like they have too many plants. Delta Township could probably go and they would be fine 

18 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Isn't this what was once called the Poletown Plant?  Talk about a political hot potato back in the 1980's.  Lot of homes torn down and families displaced to build this plant.

And a ton of case law in dealing with eminent domain to take property for private use..

22 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Anyone else get the feeling they should have done this 10 years ago when they went through BK?

You were never going to get politicians to sign on to what they got if they closed a bunch more plants. Janeseville wasn't official closed until well after 2009. It was "Mothballed" 

• Like 1