2019 Ford Ranger gets 21 mpg city, 26 highway with RWD, report says

I have to believe that Ford is doing all it can to make sure there is a lot of difference between the Ranger and F-series.  They want to minimize Ranger taking away sales from the F-150.  If you want or need a V6, or something bigger, they’ll gladly show you a (much higher margin) F-150. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah see to me if it has its own order guide, it's a separate model, which the GT350/R, Bullitt do and no doubt the GT500 will. 

Cause that’s more important than whether it’s called a MUSTANG GT350 sitting on a MUSTANG chassis with MUSTANG sheet metal and MUSTANG interior built in the MUSTANG factory with MUSTANG parts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Deanh said:

absolutely...one should never, ever put all ones eggs in one basket. Irony is Ford go's overboard trying to appease everyone, yet here they curiously pumped the brakes. 

Those other models aren't starting from scratch, either. The closest you get is the '15 F150, when they completely gutted DTP and KCAP, but the F150 hauls the freight for Ford. I don't recall if the Transit launched with two or three mills (I remember the diesel and EB35, not sure about the NA V6), but it had the advantage of sharing its V6es with its plantmate, the F150. 

Just wait--you'll see more from the Ranger. Right now, they just have to get it off the ground.

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

if so, as things can change...you just made my day...I dig manuals, just like the involvement more even though current autos can outperform them

Honestly a 7-speed mtx with a 2.7 Hybrid! What! IF THEY SOLD THAT... it would take everything for me NOT to buy one. I love my 94 Bronco but I often imagine it with a modern powertrain, especially when I’m averaging 9mpg (11 in the summer with the top off).

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

100% serious. 

If you’re going to treat them all like different trims, then put them all on one order guide. 

So if Ford decides to give each F150 trim its own order guide they won’t all be F150s?  They’ll just be XLs, XLTs, Lariats, King Ranches, Platinums and Limiteds?

What if they put 3 or 4 different vehicles in the same order guide?

Order guides are as arbitrary as they come and insisting that a GT350 isn’t a Mustang is just ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

So if Ford decides to give each F150 trim its own order guide they won’t all be F150s?  They’ll just be XLs, XLTs, Lariats, King Ranches, Platinums and Limiteds?

What if they put 3 or 4 different vehicles in the same order guide?

Order guides are as arbitrary as they come and insisting that a GT350 isn’t a Mustang is just ridiculous.

Take your example of the GT350. If it was marketed as a Mustang I would agree with you, but it's not. In fact the word Mustang is used as a footnote in nearly every official mention. In fact, throughout history Ford and Shelby have gone out of their way to differentiate the GT350/500 as something special and different. 

Then look at something like the Focus RS. Sure it looks on the outside like a Focus SE hatch with a body kit but structurally there's so much different about it with all the bracing and added body rigidity that it's basically a whole different car, and that's before getting to the drivetrain which is unlike anything offered in any other Focus. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Some more details about the 7-Speed Manual.  It's only mated to the 2.3L, they expect a tiny 12% take rate.  They expect the Bronco 2-Door to comprise 20% of sales.  

I'm a little surprised they are bothering with the 2-Door since it's probably going to shrink further and further, but they are mirroring the Jeep almost exactly in every detail.  

Edited by Assimilator

34 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Some more details about the 7-Speed Manual.  It's only mated to the 2.3L, they expect a tiny 12% take rate.  They expect the Bronco 2-Door to comprise 20% of sales.  

I'm a little surprised they are bothering with the 2-Door since it's probably going to shrink further and further, but they are mirroring the Jeep almost exactly in every detail.  

I'm just glad they're offering a 2-door Bronco.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Deanh said:

absolutely...one should never, ever put all ones eggs in one basket. Irony is Ford go's overboard trying to appease everyone, yet here they curiously pumped the brakes. F150 6 engine choices....Transit 3, Connect 2, Mustang 4 soon to be 5, every other model they make has powertrain choices, which is why I think ultimately the Ranger will expand...they are testing the water and researching the market. And trust me on this...we deal with a bunch of traditional "non" boosted stalwarts.

Scuttlebutt s that it was never about the V6 not fitting in Ranger's engine bay, the problem was the timing of the request for a North American Ranger came after the final refresh of the global truck was locked in. The only option for now was to use an inlne engine... the only one that had a chance against other V6s was the 2.3 EB.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Is production capacity constrained on the 2.3LEB?  It's used in Mustang, Explorer, MKC and Ranger but is strangely absent on Edge and Nautilus (2.0 and 2.7 only).  Most were expecting to see it and the 3.0EB on the Nautilus to differentiate it from the Edge.

I would be willing to bet that when MKC gets re-done and re-named Corsair...the 2.3L EB motor will not be in the offering. 

4 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Focus ST is rumored to get 2.3 EB as well.

I don't think there is a 2.3 HEV... it wasn't part of the 2020 model engine oil chart.

These are the known to have HEV options: 2.0 I4 / 2.5 I4 / 3.3 V6 / 3.0 V6 EB

Borg mentioned it in another thread I think

May've been 2.3PHEV.

and I just talked with someone that stated the Bronco underpinnings will in fact be a further updated Ranger chassis ( and that's from the current chassis ) which in turn will be underneath an upgraded ranger presumably AFTER the bronco release, so seems Assimilator and myself have conflicting info, so we will see...Sidebar...weird theres been no mules sighted yet...this is being kept undercover ala GT mode....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Focus ST is rumored to get 2.3 EB as well.

I don't think there is a 2.3 HEV... it wasn't part of the 2020 model engine oil chart.

These are the known to have HEV options: 2.0 I4 / 2.5 I4 / 3.3 V6 / 3.0 V6 EB

Focus is gone burger unless I need correcting...along with rumors of a BEAST RS hybrid version....sniff