2019 Ford Ranger gets 21 mpg city, 26 highway with RWD, report says

Beats FWD Honda Ridgeline which has a V6, and every iteration of RWD Colorado and Tacoma except the Colorado diesel highway. Never mind Frontier, which has MPG that is full on LOL. This is shaping up to be a very competitive drivetrain package... beats competitor's I4 MPG while offering more torque than competitor's V6.

All 2WD auto MPG

Ranger 21/26/23

Colorado gas I4 20/26/22

Colorado gas V6 18/25/20

Colorado diesel 20/30/23

Honda Ridgeline V6 19/26/22

Nissan Frontier I4 17/22/19

Nissan Frontier V6 16/23/19

Toyota Tacoma I4 20/23/21

Toyota Tacoma V6 19/24/21

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

I think the price difference is around $6K depending on how they structure the incentives.  And the point of Ranger is that some people want a smaller truck that fits better in the garage and other parking spaces.  People who want F150s are already buying them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

Exactly......and you give up a lot of truck with the Ranger. There isn't a huge savings in price either. My F-150 is a little big for what I want......but the Ranger is way to tight.

How did it feel when you sat in the new Ranger? Based on your rough size? 

5 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

Exactly......and you give up a lot of truck with the Ranger. There isn't a huge savings in price either. My F-150 is a little big for what I want......but the Ranger is way to tight.

I just  configured the XL 4x2 SuperCab:

Ranger 2.3 I-4 EB........$24,300

F150 2.7 V6 EB...........$33,980.......That's $9,680 difference

Let's try XLT 4x2 SuperCrew:

Ranger 2.3 I-4 EB........$30,115

F150 2.7 V6 EB...........$41,160.......That's $11,045 difference

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I think the price difference is around $6K depending on how they structure the incentives.  And the point of Ranger is that some people want a smaller truck that fits better in the garage and other parking spaces.  People who want F150s are already buying them.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Ranger's price when the 2.7 EB XLT Incentive comes back around...

Maybe Ford will have to watch itself with those stronger incentives....or maybe not.:)

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I just  configured the XL 4x2 SuperCab:

Ranger 2.3 I-4 EB........$24,300

F150 2.7 V6 EB...........$33,980.......That's $9,680 difference

Let's try XLT 4x2 SuperCrew:

Ranger 2.3 I-4 EB........$30,115

F150 2.7 V6 EB...........$41,160.......That's $11,045 difference

It will be interesting to see what happens to Ranger's price when the 2.7 EB XLT Incentive comes back around...

Maybe Ford will have to watch itself with those stronger incentives....or maybe not.:)

Ford monitors the sales rate, incentives, days supply, production rate and capacity, etc. vs the competition and makes adjustments as they deem necessary to meet their sales, production, market share, etc. objectives. It's a complicated balancing act and the adjustments to incentives is done on a market-by-market basis to reflect the conditions in each market.

23 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Ford monitors the sales rate, incentives, days supply, production rate and capacity, etc. vs the competition and makes adjustments as they deem necessary to meet their sales, production, market share, etc. objectives. It's a complicated balancing act and the adjustments to incentives is done on a market-by-market basis to reflect the conditions in each market.

And never because they may have got the product mix wrong and made too many 2.7 EB XLTs...

whatever is planned for F150 won't really impact on Ranger, I believe there's enough price gap to keep everything OK.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that the call on Ranger came very late in the product cycle when most things were locked in save for changing to an I-4 turbo.

I think its a fantastic effort give the limitations imposed, it will be competitive against the Colorado and Tacoma and please owners every time they hit the gas. pedal.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

And never because they may have got the product mix wrong and made too many 2.7 EB XLTs...

whatever is planned for F150 won't really impact on Ranger, I believe there's enough price gap to keep everything OK.

We've found great acceptance of the 2.7L EB in the F-150 in our market with the sales rate being well over 50% for XLT models. And although the Lariat Ranger's might take some F-150 XLT sales because of the price difference and other considerations, the F-150 and Ranger buyers are in different categories and have different needs, etc. It's just too bad that the Ranger has been off the North American market for so long and that Ford has to play catch up as is all too common. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wildosvt said:

Funny! Haven't sat in a Ranger, but I have been in mid size trucks that are slightly larger based on ROTW Ranger dimensions. An F-150 supercab has considerably more room than a super crew mid size.....so in price comparisons that's what I compare......not to mention I'm sure you will get more off the sticker on the 150. I know it's a lifestyle choice also to want a mid size.....and I thought I wanted one. IMO the F-150 has gotten to big and I would like to have something a little smaller.

4 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Ranger is just slightly smaller than the GM twins on the inside, but mostly the same. Either way it's not exactly a roomy vehicle, Edge for examples has MUCH more room  for the passengers.  

Yeah, but try loading a snowmobile into the bed of an Edge.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wildosvt said:

Funny! Haven't sat in a Ranger, but I have been in mid size trucks that are slightly larger based on ROTW Ranger dimensions. An F-150 supercab has considerably more room than a super crew mid size.....so in price comparisons that's what I compare......not to mention I'm sure you will get more off the sticker on the 150. I know it's a lifestyle choice also to want a mid size.....and I thought I wanted one. IMO the F-150 has gotten to big and I would like to have something a little smaller.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

OK, I see where you're going with the comparison - an F150 SuperCab has similar rear leg room to the Ranger SuperCrew..

So the difference in price is about $4K more for the F150 but you get the nicer 2.7 V6 Ecoboost, and with that,

I suspect that the weights of those two vehicles would also be a lot closer too......Very interesting, thanks for the insight..:)

Edited by jpd80

I'm glad they are making the Ranger but it's a segment I'm not particularly fond of because it's just way too small for a BOF vehicle and doesn't offer a significant price or fuel economy advantage to overcome reduced utility.  I get a little suspicious of vehicle segments that don't offer clear quantitative advantages, but sales are ultimately what matters, I just hope they can sustain them.  I think Ford is doing the right thing by making the Bronco a key part of production sustainability.  I think a big reason for GM's success is related to heavy Incentive spending and cheap prices which explains why they've fluctuated so much.  I estimate Ford will probably settle in the 8,000 units a month range but might be a blockbuster initially because of pent-up demand (although they tend to make pricing unappealing for awhile at launch to take advantage of interest).  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Thanks 1