2020 Explorer Spied

I'll reserve judgment until we see the full thing, but I'm not a fan to be completely honest.  I hate the interaction between the grille and headlights (I never liked it on Edge either).

The foglight cutouts look too far in for my liking too - kind of gives it a look like it ate something sour (duck face?), and takes away from some of the width.  The back just......is.  Not overly different from the current model.  The Ford badge looks tiny.

Deanh, there are exhaust pipes, they're just tucked under the bumper/hidden, which is a trend these days for some reason.

9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'll reserve judgment until we see the full thing, but I'm not a fan to be completely honest.  I hate the interaction between the grille and headlights (I never liked it on Edge either).

The foglight cutouts look too far in for my liking too - kind of gives it a look like it ate something sour (duck face?), and takes away from some of the width.  The back just......is.  Not overly different from the current model.  The Ford badge looks tiny.

Deanh, there are exhaust pipes, they're just tucked under the bumper/hidden, which is a trend these days for some reason.

interesting decision given the issue with exhaust gases re-entering the cabin of the current Xpl…...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LoveTaurus said:

The overall massing resemble the Freestyle/TaurusX.

The rear roof is so low (so is the Aviator),  hopefully that won't compromise the 3rd row head room. Otherwise, it will be of my list.

The huge beltline of the D3 based products is gone on this car-thats why it looks  like that- the camo also hides/screws it up when you look at it. 

Overall its what I expected it to look like-an improvement to the current car-not a completely different look. 

Rear and profile look nice so far, a nice evolution with some aggresive design.

Now to the front! This is the XLT. From the airflow cutouts behind the grille, it doesn't look like they can do much for the upper versions, besides chrome and slight pattern adjustments.

That is too bad, the front end is one of those designs you have to get use to, which shouldn't be. It is not Lexus bad, but it is mediocre at best.

I hope the Escape  is completely different, and not even close to this design.

I know most people just see the styling details and declare it looks the same, but there are massive changes to the proportions and dimensions of this car.  Believe me, it polishes up really nicely, very striking proportions.  As you can see, it is pretty chopped down compared to the current Explorer.   You can also see the interior which has a design variation of the current vehicle but a little more industrial with upright surfacing and a prominent vertical Sync 4 "pod" screen.  

32 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

I'm starting to think this has to do with the HVAC system and exhaust coming from the cars ahead.....I get the same thing in my f-150.

not sure that's correct...the fix was to grind off the tips and extend longer ( which makes me ask, rather than grinding off and welding, why not just a screw on extension )

I was just sitting at a stoplight next to a Michigan State Police (MSP) Explorer and noticed how corpulent and porky the vehicle looked in MSP blue.  This new Explorer looks to be considerably trimmer and leaner than the current model.  I wonder if the switch to CD6 will make it lighter?

11 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

I am not on the fence. That thing is F'ing ugly. The Edge front end is equally fugly also. That design needed to have died yesterday and here is it continuing on. Those headlights are an epic failure. 

Why are the headlights an epic failure?

I can give or take the grill-The Edge edge looks ok-but at least its an easy fix for an MCE to take care of if it doesn't work out.

My two cents-an improvement.  Just showed it to the wife who quickly said-"still can't see out the back" . As I have previously posted when it was time for a new one  4 years ago, she would not go for a new one-wanted a Pilot with a "big back window".  so for her fourth Explorer I found a CPO 2010 Limited with 27,000 miles.  She loves that vehicle.

My bitch with the current version is I find the seating uncomfortable-in particular if you like driving with your arm resting out the window.  Like distance from seat to window edge is too great? or seating position too low??

As for comments on exhaust, if the PI version is no different, looks to me like they wont be jumping too many curbs with the new model

I would wait for the final reveal, the vinyl wrap is distorting the details in the lower fascia which help to frame the front-end better.  I can see the issues people have with the smiley grille but I love the overall effect of a wider, flatter, more aggressively wrapped grill motif instead of that insipid oval shape I've never liked (and infected the newest Edge). There are so many great things going on this design, from the flat and flared fenders transitioning into the aggressively forward leaning shoulder line to the chopped down roof and high belt-line which gives it a uniquely modern sporting profile.  It's just a huge departure from the beige box on wheels that looks even more exotic in the higher trim levels (this is not that version).  

Edited by Assimilator