2020 Explorer Spied

36 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

The Ford R7 Concept debuted in 2002, Territory production started in 2004, Freestyle in 2005.  

Yes, Territory development started 12 months.Before Freestyle.

Before R7, there was R5 in 1998, that set the wheels in motion to go after SUV instead of Explorer

Then CEO,  Geoff Polites took a baby model of the territory concept to Dea born in 2000,

Bill Ford stood up and to a man, everyone in the room applauded the effort.

7998665470_ea6f0ecc85.jpg

The above styling was was imposed on FOA by Dearborn and the Ovoid Taurus.

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The Terry is a very ancient piece of engineering, there is zero relationship to the Explorer.  But I think you're joking, ha. 

I think they are referring to the new Territory being launched in China. It does have some parallels. Notice the front end headlights and grill mating and lower fascia. Personally i find the design based of these spy shorts a degradation vs current production. I'm baffled someone signed off on this, things like this make me lose confidence in our high level decision making but i hope I'm overeating and the real thing w/o camo loos less foolish. 

http://www.thedrive.com/news/22737/the-new-china-only-ford-territory-crossover-might-be-glimpse-at-the-future-of-ford-suvs

Edited by averagengineer

The grill in the drawing does not look as tall as the PIU one.  Usually in renderings the vehicle is drawn a little more aggressive than reality.  I don't think the front will be bad but probably could have been much better.  The light shape is not as important as the details inside the light, not just boring but some cool shapes and colors, as well as how cool the LED accent lighting looks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Where do they export F150s?

China, Middle East and I think Russia of late, but that might be grey market. Biggest difference is the rear bumpers have the rear fog lights, the Tail lights used are the ones with Amber Rear turn signals like on the base raptor with now without BLIS. You can't get BLIS on Export Models as the Radar unit is in the Tail-lamp and that tail lamp does not have the Amber. Headlights have a different LED(Xenon?)projector in the upper part of the light fixture and turn signal is mounted more on the outside of it. 

Mexico can use both UN/US lighting standards like Canada. (Though they are moving toward the UN Standard)

Edited by jasonj80

6 hours ago, RadicalX said:

b465cef2476f5f462b27bb39d67f3de8.jpg

I’d love to drive one of these at work. This one appears to have the “Ready for the Road” lighting package and with the new models, seems they’re integrating the lower emergency lighting into the trim over the license plate. A set of smoked lenses would really subdue to the look nicely. 

1 hour ago, zgxtreme said:

I’d love to drive one of these at work. This one appears to have the “Ready for the Road” lighting package and with the new models, seems they’re integrating the lower emergency lighting into the trim over the license plate. A set of smoked lenses would really subdue to the look nicely. 

Looks like they added some under the rear spoiler as well.  Pretty cool.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, akirby said:

Where do they export F150s?

Middle East is the largest market... they have F-150 of all kinds. https://www.me.ford.com/en/sau/

All the countries in Central America. Costa Rica for example: https://www.ford.co.cr/modelos

And a couple of countries in South America. For example Colombia which also get the full line of F-150  https://www.ford.com.co/pick-ups/f-150/

In China, Ford only officially offers F-150 Raptor for sale. https://www.ford.com.cn/performance/raptor/

Ford also sells F-150 thru direct sales to private buyers for off road use - e.g. mining companies and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I the press release for the Jan 9 reveal Ford specifically mentions this explorer as “most advanced and adventure-ready version ever”. I’m thinking maybe this is where the timberline trim is utilized to create something slightly more off road capable. Not bronco level but maybe Grand Cherokee level. The drivetrain change has me curious as to options available. Thoughts? 

• Like 1