2020 Explorer Spied

If they gave this grille design to the F-Series, sales would tank. It would be fine for a minivan, and that seems to be what they are going for..

I guess the issue I mainly have is that when I heard they were putting the Explorer on the new RWD platform, I imagined it was going to be designed to look more bold. I thought maybe an F-150 look, or even a little peak at what they had in store for the Bronco. That is where I feel let down.

The remainder of the vehicle does look promising, but so many great designs can be weakened or ruined by a bad face.

This is a brand new design!, having to "get use to", or "maybe it will grow on me",  shouldn't be in the cards.

3 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

If they gave this grille design to the F-Series, sales would tank. It would be fine for a minivan, and that seems to be what they are going for..

Its not terrible-its just different looking. If anything the grill is unifying the CUV design language Ford is coming out with the Edge, now the Explorer and most likely the Escape.

If you want something more chunky or truck like, wait for the Bronco. 

On 11/20/2018 at 6:29 PM, silvrsvt said:

Why are the headlights an epic failure?

I can give or take the grill-The Edge edge looks ok-but at least its an easy fix for an MCE to take care of if it doesn't work out.

The overall shape of them are hideous. Not flowing with the grill at all. MCE is needed already TBH. Lob the front end off and it looks ok. 

So after reading the changes to the mirror combinations and looking at the side view pics with the flat black mirror and high gloss A/B pillar, must say that looks like crap and cheap. I would seriously question why they don't have painted mirror options. 

2 hours ago, kyle said:

So after reading the changes to the mirror combinations and looking at the side view pics with the flat black mirror and high gloss A/B pillar, must say that looks like crap and cheap. I would seriously question why they don't have painted mirror options. 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought the production models would be gloss black not flat black.

By making Blind Spot Monitoring standard, as part of a package of features, and making mirrors all one color, a gloss black, for all exterior colors and trims, Ford reduced the possible variants of exterior mirrors to 25.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2018/11/14/ford-will-keep-it-simple-like-25-instead-of-139-mirrors-for-just-one-model/#c06415415a92

12 hours ago, wildosvt said:

The overall shape of them are hideous. Not flowing with the grill at all. MCE is needed already TBH. Lob the front end off and it looks ok. 

I dunno, I have zero issues with the overall looks of it. The grill cut out is slightly odd, but I don't think its going to impact sales at all. 

The only thing that bugs me about the design is that we still don't have full LED taillights.  I'm not kidding when I say this will likely stop me from buying one.  Unless you have full LED fixtures, you're either a cheap car or an outdated car...no exceptions...sorry!  

Edited by Assimilator

6 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The only thing that bugs me about the design is that we still don't have full LED taillights.  I'm not kidding when I say this will likely stop me from buying one.  Unless you have full LED fixtures, you're either a cheap car or an outdated car...no exceptions...sorry!  

I wonder if that’s only because it’s a base model?

but interestingly the headlights are ALL led includinf then signals 

Knee-jerk reaction is the nose looks, well, bad.....though not disastrously so. Certainly a let down compared to the very good Lincoln (concept) nose and the baby Bronco. Rest looks decent. Completely willing to believe the final product will come across better. Still, was hoping for a home run and I'm just not seeing it.

Edited by Moosetang

1 hour ago, kyle said:

Good to know-I was just skimming thru the article and then looked at the pics and it just looked odd. I also think they will add a chrome option which is just a cap. 

That's why I don't understand why they’re eliminating the body color cap. It can't be that expensive to include that. 

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

The Terry is a very ancient piece of engineering, there is zero relationship to the Explorer.  But I think you're joking, ha. 

A little, the Territory was first shown as a concept in 1998 and developed from there, Freestyle and Taurus X were all much later.                          All Jokes aside, Territory was a very efficient design and packed the interior space of a D3 Explorer into a vehicle the size of Edge.

Edited by jpd80